Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Random HUD question

It just dawned on me while watching the in-car footage from the 24 Hr Nurburgring race that I cannot recall what the actual Tachometer and Speedometer look like in the dash of the car. I always have that info on the HUD and never look down. The only guages I look at in the dash are the tire pressures, oil pressure and temps.

Anyone else have similar experience?
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_ View Post
It just dawned on me while watching the in-car footage from the 24 Hr Nurburgring race that I cannot recall what the actual Tachometer and Speedometer look like in the dash of the car. I always have that info on the HUD and never look down. The only guages I look at in the dash are the tire pressures, oil pressure and temps.

Anyone else have similar experience?
You are not alone

For a nano second when the HUD isn't visible I get a twinge of anxiety because I don't know my speed. Yes I know my speed and tach are in the dash on the R and L side, but I only look to see temps and pressures on the 4 "analogue" gauges I have displayed. My eyes do not automatically go to the big ass speed and tach gauge. Muscle memory.

When I do remember to look I feel pretty stupid.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #3
turbo2ltr

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I wear polarized sunglasses so I almost never see the HUD, then it scares me when I drive at night thinking it's something in the road.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Honestly, I wish the Camaro tach is more like the C7's or my RX-8's: just have the big tach in the middle and have the speed as a digital readout(that's always available to see regardless of other info).

I usually leave my HUD in Touring mode so I can see the speed limit. I naturally only look at the left side of the gauge cluster.

The Camaro mechanical speedo is also borderline useless since the lower speeds are scaled far too close. I wish they are more like some of the VW I have seen where they scale the speedo differently under 80 km/h/50 MPH so you can judge your speed better in the city.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post
I wear polarized sunglasses so I almost never see the HUD, then it scares me when I drive at night thinking it's something in the road.
Mine are polarized, and I can see the HUD fine except that it's green. If I turn my head sideways it disappears..
Why can't you see it all??
Old 09-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Honestly, I wish the Camaro tach is more like the C7's or my RX-8's: just have the big tach in the middle and have the speed as a digital readout(that's always available to see regardless of other info).

I usually leave my HUD in Touring mode so I can see the speed limit. I naturally only look at the left side of the gauge cluster.

The Camaro mechanical speedo is also borderline useless since the lower speeds are scaled far too close. I wish they are more like some of the VW I have seen where they scale the speedo differently under 80 km/h/50 MPH so you can judge your speed better in the city.
+1
Old 09-29-2020, 09:38 PM   #7
turbo2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
Mine are polarized, and I can see the HUD fine except that it's green. If I turn my head sideways it disappears..
Why can't you see it all??
I don't know. I can see it if I turn my head. When I first drove the car I thought it was broken as I had to turn the brightness all the way up and even then I could barely see it. Then I happened to take off my glasses and realized my glasses were blocking it.

So you can see the radio fine? I notice I can see the radio fine and if I turn my head it disappears.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:47 AM   #8
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

No problem with the radio either. No matter which direction I tilt my head it's still fine with my polarized lenses.
Only the HUD changes color.
I have a stigmatism but no correction in my lenses.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post
I don't know. I can see it if I turn my head.
Best guess here would be that Val's sunglasses are polarized in one direction and turbo's sunglasses are polarized in a different direction.

Norm
Old 10-01-2020, 06:30 AM   #10
turbo2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Best guess here would be that Val's sunglasses are polarized in one direction and turbo's sunglasses are polarized in a different direction.
That's what I thought. But then I would have assumed he couldn't see the radio as the radio and the hud seem to be polarized 90 deg apart. I'll have to try other polarized glasses.