Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-09-2021, 02:08 AM   #1
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Anyone with 5 percent tint on their windows?

I'm curious if anyone who runs 5 percent tint on their Camaro thinks it's too dark due to the already poor visibility and small back and rear windows.

With already little light coming in via the back or rear windows would this be too dard?
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:54 AM   #2
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. What matters is your local laws on tint. Most places max out at 15%. I would check first before you end up peeling it off on the side of the road to avoid a ticket. 🙂
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:14 AM   #3
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
I have a medical waiver for 5%, all my vehicles are tinted to at least 20%. Since this is a summer car, most of the driving is daylight hours it’s completely fine.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:27 AM   #4
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
at night with the windows up you won't see shit
Old 03-09-2021, 05:44 AM   #5
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. What matters is your local laws on tint. Most places max out at 15%. I would check first before you end up peeling it off on the side of the road to avoid a ticket. 🙂
And not just your locality where you live - anywhere you drive, because it seems every single city has their own individual regulations and enforcement of different levels of tint. You might be ok in one city but drive a half mile and every cop carries a tint gauge and writes tickets for just one percentage over whatever their limit is.

Tint is a moving target.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #6
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
I agree with Petrol Head last time I traveled to visit family back in Dec 2018 in the Tundra I used to have I had window tint that was legal in Kansas and MO where I lived but when I hit Penn state New York and Connecticut where family lived I was pulled over five times for window tint despite being out of state. They were extremely easy to fight but it is one of the reasons I do what is legal in the area I live in so I don't have to deal with it at home.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post

I was thinking 15 percent too. That is what my last Mustang was.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:06 PM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
1 do as you like but I couldn't consider it, as others are saying local laws and I don't mean that you should just comply, I mean what's the attitude on it on the streets? If you local jurisdiction pays no mind to tint then go for it. Some officers and departments have a real hard on about it and hassling people for it.
I've been stopped with 35% on a black car w/ black interior and had that A** measure it with his little gadget. And I've had to strip tint off, too, that I knew was illegal.

It just things to consider when you go that route.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #9
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Its kinda like the front license plate debate. Do what you want and what you think may be tolerated by local law enforcement. In CA where a front license plate is required and any tint on the front driver and passenger windows is illegal, I have been saved from harsher tickets multiple times because of those things. I have been pulled over for speeding or rolling stops at a stop sign and have been "let off" with a fix it ticket for my windows or plate instead.

With all that being said, I had 5% on everything but the windshield on a black 350Z with black interior and at night the windows may as well have been opaque. I had to roll down the windows to even see the parking lot lines in the dark. It was a real pain in my ass. I would do it again in a heartbeat because it looked awesome.
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #10
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhobz View Post
Its kinda like the front license plate debate. Do what you want and what you think may be tolerated by local law enforcement. In CA where a front license plate is required and any tint on the front driver and passenger windows is illegal, I have been saved from harsher tickets multiple times because of those things. I have been pulled over for speeding or rolling stops at a stop sign and have been "let off" with a fix it ticket for my windows or plate instead.

With all that being said, I had 5% on everything but the windshield on a black 350Z with black interior and at night the windows may as well have been opaque. I had to roll down the windows to even see the parking lot lines in the dark. It was a real pain in my ass. I would do it again in a heartbeat because it looked awesome.
The license plate thing is a little different. Every state will go along with other state laws on it. Here in Ohio we no longer require front tags, so if I go to California and they see I don't have a front tag, then turn around to the back of my car and see I'm from Ohio, they'll leave me alone.

But tint is not like that. Tint is a city-by-city jurisdiction legislation. If you live across the street from the city line, your level of tint could be ok where you park your car but as soon as you cross the street you could be cited. And some city in the middle of nowhere 500 miles from where you live isn't going to look up your home city's jurisdiction of level of legal tint, they're going to go by theirs.

That's why tint is so iffy. There's no uniformity or continuity even within a single state. You're at the behest of whatever city you're driving through.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #11
Psyhamster

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
I have 5% on the brow for the windshield and all windows behind the driver/passenger seats. I haven't had any issues seeing out at night through the back window while driving.

I have 35% on the driver/passenger window (whats legal where I am). Overall looking at the car from the outside in, there isnt too much of a difference for the color of the tint, it looks pretty uniform. Haven't had issues driving at night with that tint either.

| Mishimoto Catch Can | Roto-Fab Oiled Intake w/ Sound Tube Delete | GM Dark Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light | JWM LED Sidemarkers | 35/5 Ceramic Tint | AWE Track Exhaust w/ Resonators & Link Pipes |
Psyhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:53 PM   #12
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro
I'm 5% on the brow, 5% on the back and back window, and 35% on the fronts. That works great for me.

Name:  Maro.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  69.5 KB

I think the darkest I went on the fronts was on my Jaguar (went with 20%) and during the daytime it's nice, but at nighttime it became problematic because you couldn't see left or right on a normal street road. At night one time a bicyclist ran the stop sign and I didn't see them and started to go. Thankfully I saw him at the last moment and slammed on my brakes. Almost hit him. Tint came off the next day. And I'm a safe driver too.

Name:  Jaguar.png
Views: 1289
Size:  193.5 KB

I knew on my next car (2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged Stage 2) that I wouldn't go that dark so I started going with 35% on the fronts (which is still illegal in California).

Name:  Cobalt.png
Views: 1312
Size:  229.8 KB

But even comparing photos, the amount of visible light from the angles of the car make the Camaro interior darker than the Cobalt, even though the tint was the same.

So in short, it's not always safe to go with what looks cool, but go with something you're comfy in that won't make you paranoid every time a cop looks your way. You're already in a Camaro, don't give yourself anymore reasons to be pulled over, especially for tint darker than it needs to be/legally can be.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:06 PM   #13
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
my current car came with 5%. I hate it. I can't see out of the back window during broad daylight because my eyes are already lightstruck from looking out the bright front windshield. During the day I can hardly see the buttons because the interior lights aren't on, and it's so dark I can't make them out without muscle memory.

at night I have to roll my windows down just to see to park.

I've put up with it, but will be replacing it as soon as I get the time to.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #14
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Curious why would you want it that dark? You can get tints that reduce UV light into the interior, which is what really cuts down on the heat in the cabin. This is regardless of the actual tint % level. I only have 35% tint with UV filtering on my Subaru Forester, which is like a fish bowl in comparison to my Camaro, and it's made getting into the car in the summer remarkably more comfortable.

If it's for privacy, even 35% is reasonably effective at night.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote