Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 11-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #1
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Track Wheel and Tire Options

Hey guys, I am currently running Goodyear SuperCar3’s in OEM ZL1 / SS1LE size on the street and track. I’m satisfied with these tires for both applications, they stick pretty good on track and I can’t complain about the tread wear. I average around 5K street miles and 3 – 4 track days per set.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a dedicated wheel/tire combination for track use that would equal or better than the Supercar3’s performance at a similar overall cost? Cost is not my main consideration, but I don’t want to dramatically increase my tire budget. I typically have around $900 in a new set of Supercar3’s including mounting and balancing. I pick up old stock tires from TireRack and new take-offs from eBay
Used 18” Hoosier A7’s can be had for $500 + $120 shipping. I’m not sure how these would perform, or how many sessions they would be good for, but the price certainly seems right. I wouldn’t even have to pay for mounting and balancing as I could mount them for free at the auto club at work. I’m don’t do this with my current wheels as the ‘70’s vintage Coats tire machine we have would probably be rough as hell on my wheels. I wouldn’t worry about it with dedicated track wheels.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried the Hoosiers or discovered another wheel/tire setup that performs well on track. If there is not a better overall option, I will pick up a second set of factory wheels and tires for track duty. Only having one set is a mild PITA as it seems like my tires are always marginal for street duty, but still have at least one more track day in them. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
I'm in the exact same boat. I seem to find used ZLE SC3R's in the $700-900 range about 3:1 vs used ZL1/SS1LE SC3's in the $600-800 range on FB marketplace. I had the opportunity to track with a set of ZLE rims/SC3R's, and they were a significant upgrade to stock size SC3's. Note, I did the strut mod and relocated LR wire harness for fitment.

Optimally, I think I'd have PS4S's in SS1LE sizes on OEM ZL1 rims for DD miles and rainy track days, and Apex or OEM ZLE rims and I'd hunt used SC3R's for dry track days. That only leaves a gap for 200TW Auto-X requirements.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #3
L78toLT1

Thanks for the info, TWG1. I did not realize that the Supercar3Rs takeoffs were readily available at a good price. I'm still curious about the Hoosier, but the 3r's certainly make more sense for tracking than non-r Goodyears. I like your recommdation for street tires also. Once I get some track tires, I'll give the PS4's a try for street duty.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
Old 11-05-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
I'm in the exact same boat. I seem to find used ZLE SC3R's in the $700-900 range about 3:1 vs used ZL1/SS1LE SC3's in the $600-800 range on FB marketplace. I had the opportunity to track with a set of ZLE rims/SC3R's, and they were a significant upgrade to stock size SC3's. Note, I did the strut mod and relocated LR wire harness for fitment.

Optimally, I think I'd have PS4S's in SS1LE sizes on OEM ZL1 rims for DD miles and rainy track days, and Apex or OEM ZLE rims and I'd hunt used SC3R's for dry track days. That only leaves a gap for 200TW Auto-X requirements.
I second this. Pretty much my plan once I use up the few sets of SC3s I have laying around. PS4S is great on the street and will give you a bit more life than the SC3s, and not to say the SC3 isn't a capable track tire but the SC3R will beat it in the dry (and a PS4S will probably beat the SC3 in the wet).

As for the Hoosiers, I don't think there's that much to gain over the SC3R. The SC3R is pretty much as close to a racing slick you can get while still being DOT approved for the street and seems to compete with racing slicks pretty well. Price is consistently cheaper for the SC3R from what I've seen too, let alone I've found more used sets of SC3Rs than Hoosiers in my search.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i just got a set of oem goodyear supercar 3 going to try them out with my 20" wheels for next few events and evaluate cost and grip to see if its worth it to maybe get a set of 19s and some s3cr for track days next year but i dont drive my car on the track much

michelin ps4s are a great street tire but not that good on track i did around 3-4 track events with them and alot of auto x days
Old 11-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Hey guys, I am currently running Goodyear SuperCar3’s in OEM ZL1 / SS1LE size on the street and track. I’m satisfied with these tires for both applications, they stick pretty good on track and I can’t complain about the tread wear. I average around 5K street miles and 3 – 4 track days per set.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a dedicated wheel/tire combination for track use that would equal or better than the Supercar3’s performance at a similar overall cost? Cost is not my main consideration, but I don’t want to dramatically increase my tire budget. I typically have around $900 in a new set of Supercar3’s including mounting and balancing. I pick up old stock tires from TireRack and new take-offs from eBay
Used 18” Hoosier A7’s can be had for $500 + $120 shipping. I’m not sure how these would perform, or how many sessions they would be good for, but the price certainly seems right. I wouldn’t even have to pay for mounting and balancing as I could mount them for free at the auto club at work. I’m don’t do this with my current wheels as the ‘70’s vintage Coats tire machine we have would probably be rough as hell on my wheels. I wouldn’t worry about it with dedicated track wheels.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried the Hoosiers or discovered another wheel/tire setup that performs well on track. If there is not a better overall option, I will pick up a second set of factory wheels and tires for track duty. Only having one set is a mild PITA as it seems like my tires are always marginal for street duty, but still have at least one more track day in them. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!
There is something wrong with your set up (alignment perhaps?) if ya only get 3-4 days out of G3s as they should last a good 6-7 days. Note G3R will last half this and if ya buy take offs, even less before cording them. So forget about maintaining your tire budget

G3R seem to be virtually on par with R7s so you'll need to go with even softer rubber if you want appreciciably faster tire. That will also increase your budget.

It would seem that the best strategy for softer tires (incl G3R) is a square 19 rim set up, enabling rotating rims R to F to increase longevity. Otherwise, you will be buying 2 sets of fronts for every set of rears.

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
TrackClub

Also, some take offs can be decent, while some not, cording after a day. So unless you have a trailer, spare rims to bring extras, this is not the best strategy.

Ive seen too many guys finishing their 3 day event after only 1 day, having driven a few hrs to get to a track.

Food for thought.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #8
L78toLT1

I wonder how the cost per track mile compares for the 20" Supercar3 vs. 19" Supercar3R? It certainly appears that the 3R offers superior performance, which is to be expected. Prior posts indicate it's also less expensive. I'm sure the 3r will last longer, but I have no idea how much longer.
Can someone with experience tracking on both tires educate me on how these tires stack up with regards to track lifespan?
Old 11-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
TrackClub

Quote:
I wonder how the cost per track mile compares for the 20" Supercar3 vs. 19" Supercar3R? It certainly appears that the 3R offers superior performance, which is to be expected. Prior posts indicate it's also less expensive. I'm sure the 3r will last longer, but I have no idea how much longer.
Can someone with experience tracking on both tires educate me on how these tires stack up with regards to track lifespan?
G3R will not last longer than G3! Front G3R will last half of G3 on average.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
L78toLT1

Disregard my last message as Trackclub answered my question - apparently our messages passed one another in cyberspace!
Regarding my 3 - 4 session average, usually one or two of those sessions are at Talladega Gran Prix raceway (little tally). That place is absolutely brutal on tires, but they frequently host open track sessions where you can run as much as you want. I probably run twice the miles there compared to a typical 5 session day at Road Atlanta or AMP. I'm pretty sure I could make 6 or 7 days at Road Atlanta.
I have also had great luck with the Supercar3 takeoffs. The ones I have bought off of eBay were obviously taken off almost immediately; I haven't noticed a discernable difference between them and the new old stock TireRack tires
Old 11-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ps4s<g3<g3r
Old 11-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #12
TrackClub

Quote:
Disregard my last message as Trackclub answered my question - apparently our messages passed one another in cyberspace!
Regarding my 3 - 4 session average, usually one or two of those sessions are at Talladega Gran Prix raceway (little tally). That place is absolutely brutal on tires, but they frequently host open track sessions where you can run as much as you want. I probably run twice the miles there compared to a typical 5 session day at Road Atlanta or AMP. I'm pretty sure I could make 6 or 7 days at Road Atlanta.
I have also had great luck with the Supercar3 takeoffs. The ones I have bought off of eBay were obviously taken off almost immediately; I haven't noticed a discernable difference between them and the new old stock TireRack tires
Old 11-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #13
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Cost-wise the 3R's aren't too terribly higher priced than the 3. ~1500 vs ~1200 for new 3R's vs. 3's, respectively. But, from what I've seen TrackClub is right on the money about them only lasting half as long.

That being said, Goodyear makes the SC3's in the ZL1 1LE sizes so it wouldn't be the end of the world if you invested in a set of track rims in 19s and decided 3Rs hit the bank a little harder than you were anticipating. Even though the SC3 isn't a true racing tire like the SC3R basically is, it's still no slouch and tough to find a better balance on our cars for cost, performance, and longevity. They also make the SC3R in the ZL1/SS1LE sizes so you can even try it out to see if it's worth the extra grip before buying new rims specifically for those tires.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Cost-wise the 3R's aren't too terribly higher priced than the 3. ~1500 vs ~1200 for new 3R's vs. 3's, respectively. But, from what I've seen TrackClub is right on the money about them only lasting half as long.

That being said, Goodyear makes the SC3's in the ZL1 1LE sizes so it wouldn't be the end of the world if you invested in a set of track rims in 19s and decided 3Rs hit the bank a little harder than you were anticipating. Even though the SC3 isn't a true racing tire like the SC3R basically is, it's still no slouch and tough to find a better balance on our cars for cost, performance, and longevity. They also make the SC3R in the ZL1/SS1LE sizes so you can even try it out to see if it's worth the extra grip before buying new rims specifically for those tires.
Excellent advice. That's exactly what I'd do before springing for new rims.