Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
93 octane getting scarce. Best brand of 91 as substitute?

93 is getting harder to find (read: less convenient, have to drive 10-15 miles to get it) around here. Used to have two sources within 5 miles, but they just took out their 93 pumps. I know my SS will adjust and run fine on 91, with a slight loss of power, but is there a brand of 91 octane that stands above the rest? BP? Mobil?

Thanks.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
ASM

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
Costco has a good 92. I can tell the difference from the Costco fuel to Holiday, Mobil, BP, Kwik Trip, Shell, or Speedway/Super America. I have other cars that take Costco 92 and I get about 50 miles per tank more with my daily driver cars for my wife and I. I have tried most of the stations east of the twin cities MN and western WI. No one can compare to the Costco fuel on quality and price. Part of the reason is the quality of the fuel & additives and the 92 octane is re-filled every two days so the fuel is very fresh.

Last edited by ASM; 04-14-2019 at 09:57 PM.
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I'd recommend you go to the highest volume top tier station within acceptable driving distance. All top tier gas is pretty much the same. I would not run any gas that is not top tier. A high volume station increases the odds you aren't pumping in gas that has sat in the underground tank for a long time since the higher octane gas tends to sell slower.

BTW - I vote for Costco as well - they meet my definition above.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I'd recommend you go to the highest volume top tier station within acceptable driving distance. All top tier gas is pretty much the same. I would not run any gas that is not top tier. A high volume station increases the odds you aren't pumping in gas that has sat in the underground tank for a long time since the higher octane gas tends to sell slower.

I've sinned :(
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
There are a lot of threads on this site about gas brand so a search might retrieve some useful info. Some people swear by it and others think it's all marketing.

I can tell you I've personally had issues with clogged injectors in a direct injection engine so I only run Top Teir which in my area is usually Mobil or Valero.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:

+1 for Costco fuel
Old 04-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #7
The_Dudebozo

Drives: 2016 2SS
Costco gasoline is my choice for gas here in Cali. Gotta love how gas is over the $4.00 mark and it’s not even summer, ughhh.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
The same refinery fills the same truck here in Alaska that goes and tops off Costco, Shell, Freddy's (Kroger), etc. Refinery is in Nikiski.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #9
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:

If I'm not near either local Costco,Chevron 1st and then Shell are my choices. I agree re: Top Tier fuel,noting else goes in my car.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #10
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The same refinery fills the same truck here in Alaska that goes and tops off Costco, Shell, Freddy's (Kroger), etc. Refinery is in Nikiski.
And in the remainder of the country,that isn't the case. We have a choice.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:37 AM   #11
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
There are a lot of threads on this site about gas brand so a search might retrieve some useful info. Some people swear by it and others think it's all marketing.

I can tell you I've personally had issues with clogged injectors in a direct injection engine so I only run Top Teir which in my area is usually Mobil or Valero.
I was shocked when I found out that ARCO gas had been added to the Top Tier list of brands. Been warned for years to stay away from ARCO because of hesitation, shaking and stalling after ARCO gas was used.

My granddaughter a couple of months ago complained that her car was having the same problems as listed above. I asked her what kind of gas she was using. She answered...you guessed it...ARCO.

She took my advice and stopped using it. Chevron gas has been going into her tank lately. Voila !! No more problems.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #12
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
The refined product is only one part. The additive package is the other. This is why Top Tier gas is generally trustworthy; they all use high quality additive packages.

I use top tier gas in my vehicles 90% of the time.

Find brands here: https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
Old 04-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #13
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
My son who is a petroleum refinery chemical engineer has explained to me that all gas is refined to the same regional EPA standards regardless of which brand tanker truck pulls up to be filled. The difference is the additive package that the truck driver adds to the tank at the refinery fill up that makes top tier gas better.

The brands that agree to meet the top tier standards and spend the money to put the superior additives in are the brands that I will only use in my cars. The non top tier brands use less additives or skip the additives all together.

Remember the local station makes a difference too - top tier or not. Is the station one that keeps its tanks and pumps in top shape, stays on top of the maintenance that keeps moisture out of the stored fuel and does the station do enough volume in premium fuel sales so that the fuel is fresh? That is why I plug Costco. They are top tier, they keep their stations well maintained and they run a lot of volume. Bonus: the fuel there is 30-50 cents per gallon cheaper for 93 Octane.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)

Last edited by SSDan; 04-15-2019 at 07:24 AM.
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:25 AM   #14
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
93 is getting harder to find (read: less convenient, have to drive 10-15 miles to get it) around here. Used to have two sources within 5 miles, but they just took out their 93 pumps. I know my SS will adjust and run fine on 91, with a slight loss of power, but is there a brand of 91 octane that stands above the rest? BP? Mobil?

Thanks.
I guess I would have to ask - why do you feel you need 93?

After having a conversation with my tuner a few years back (I live in the Twin Cities area and we have a very similar gas situation here as across the border in Wi), he had informed me that he felt the “hardest to detonate” local fuel was 91 w/ 10% ethanol vs premium non-oxy. The only exception was 93 from BP which he felt was on par.

With the thousands of cars he had tuned, that was the fuel that would take the highest timing before hitting the knock sensors.

So I would question the be