Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-11-2021, 06:37 PM   #1
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Child Trunk Release

I forgot I was going to ask this.

So I got my car out of storage the other day. When I put it away I took the battery out to bring it home to keep it on a tender as my storage unit does not have electricity. Anyway, not even thinking about it when I put it away, I shut the trunk all the way. Well when I went to put the battery back I obviously couldn't get in the trunk. I folded down the back seat to crawl back there and sure $hit, the child safety release does not work. I was able to push over the latch with a small screwdriver, but I need to figure out why that child release doesn't work. I pull on it and I can see the latch mechanism move a little, but it won't pop open the trunk. Anyone ever have that thing apart?
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Jay, it might be if there is too much tension on the latch. Happens with the electric release sometimes. Try having someone push down a bit on the trunk while you work the release.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Jay, it might be if there is too much tension on the latch. Happens with the electric release sometimes. Try having someone push down a bit on the trunk while you work the release.
Ahh. Thx, that could be. I'll try that and see if it will release.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:08 PM   #4
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Perfect conclusion to why we needed this in the first place!

Someone trapped "ask someone to push down I while try to escape"!

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Perfect conclusion to why we needed this in the first place!

Someone trapped "ask someone to push down I while try to escape"!
Exactly where my mind went... So, all a trapped child needs to do to get out is have an adult outside the car help. Perfect!
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #6
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Exactly where my mind went... So, all a trapped child needs to do to get out is have an adult outside the car help. Perfect!
I can almost guarantee you that nobody ever tries to make sure that child latch release works. I can say I've never checked one in any of my vehicles until now. I will figure out why this one isn't working and fix it.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #7
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
That is exactly what the problem is. I opened the trunk and with the trunk open closet the latch. When I pull the child safety release it works just fine. So it's definitely tension when it's closed causing it not to work.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:46 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I can almost guarantee you that nobody ever tries to make sure that child latch release works. I can say I've never checked one in any of my vehicles until now. I will figure out why this one isn't working and fix it.
I completely agree that no one checks them. But, if it's a 'feature' that has to be in the cars, then it needs to be expected to work. This is a poor design if it doesn't work because of the tension on the latch and I can't understand how they would have gotten that design approved.

The WORST part of that failure is that only the smallest of children could fit in that trunk... They are the ones the least-capable of using the release.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:03 AM   #9
COKen

Drives: '21 Camao SS, BMW 435i, M Roadster
Wouldn't this be considered a safety issue? If so, you may want to send a note to NHTSA and copy GM. You may even save a life.
COKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:10 AM   #10
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I completely agree that no one checks them. But, if it's a 'feature' that has to be in the cars, then it needs to be expected to work. This is a poor design if it doesn't work because of the tension on the latch and I can't understand how they would have gotten that design approved.

The WORST part of that failure is that only the smallest of children could fit in that trunk... They are the ones the least-capable of using the release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Wouldn't this be considered a safety issue? If so, you may want to send a note to NHTSA and copy GM. You may even save a life.
I did contact GM and emailed both the NHTSA and GM to let them know my experience. I'm not sure what they will do with the info. I mean there could simply be just an issue with my car. If 10 people tried that and 5 of them had the same issue, then I'd think it's a bigger concern. If 10 people tried it and mine is the only one that didn't work, then I think it's just something on my car that needs to be fixed. Like I said earlier, I don't think this is something anyone ever checks until it needs to be used. Then... like me, it may be to late. If you have small kids, I'd suggest you check it.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #11
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Name:  hooters.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  63.7 KB

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #12
COKen

Drives: '21 Camao SS, BMW 435i, M Roadster
I'm not sure, but I think some safety issues are covered long after the warranty runs out.
COKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #13
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
My son tried it, worked as designed.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #14
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
My son tried it, worked as designed.
Cool.. Ya, I'm betting that there is just something wrong with mine. Needs to be adjusted or whatever.