Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 03-09-2021, 10:10 PM   #15
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
1 do as you like but I couldn't consider it, as others are saying local laws and I don't mean that you should just comply, I mean what's the attitude on it on the streets? If you local jurisdiction pays no mind to tint then go for it. Some officers and departments have a real hard on about it and hassling people for it.
I've been stopped with 35% on a black car w/ black interior and had that A** measure it with his little gadget. And I've had to strip tint off, too, that I knew was illegal.

It just things to consider when you go that route.

Where in Missouri? My last 3 Mustangs and Window tinted, especially my 99 GT was pretty dark and never got pulled over. I lived in St. Louis County. Driving in places like St. George (well known speed trap), Webster Groves never had a problem.

I can see why some depts would simply because it's a non moving violation and they figure most would pay the ticket and not fight it.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:59 AM   #16
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
You all are overlooking the main reason why dark tint is not a good idea. When you have dark tint, and you get pulled over, it immediately puts the officer on high alert. Would you, as an LEO, want to step up to a car that you can’t see inside? Is there just a driver or are there 4 people in there with weapons?
Understand now?
I get it, it looks cool and keeps the interior cooler, but it ain’t worth it.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #17
cthompson07

Drives: 2016 hyper blue 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
You all are overlooking the main reason why dark tint is not a good idea. When you have dark tint, and you get pulled over, it immediately puts the officer on high alert. Would you, as an LEO, want to step up to a car that you can’t see inside? Is there just a driver or are there 4 people in there with weapons?
Understand now?
Good thing windows roll down.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #18
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Where in Missouri? My last 3 Mustangs and Window tinted, especially my 99 GT was pretty dark and never got pulled over. I lived in St. Louis County. Driving in places like St. George (well known speed trap), Webster Groves never had a problem.

I can see why some depts would simply because it's a non moving violation and they figure most would pay the ticket and not fight it.
Platte County/North Kansas City MO
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #19
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Understand now?
I understand your point. That's why when I get pulled over, I immediately roll the window down, before the LEO approaches. If you wait for the officer to approach before you roll your window down, you are already starting the interaction negatively and you are kind of a jerk.
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #20
cthompson07

Drives: 2016 hyper blue 2ss
I had 5% and 4% (two layers of 20%, dealer ran out of 5%) on a 4th gen and a sw20 mr2 respectively, and it was a pain in the ass. I couldn't see shit at night, even worse when it was raining. It made it cooler but wasn't worth the hassle. I've had 20% on my last few cars (c6, two 6th gens, and my wifes Volvo s60) and it is the sweet spot.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #21
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
at night with the windows up you won't see shit
I have 5% on sides and rear, this is 100% accurate. I have 85% on my windshield.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #22
wwiiavfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthompson07 View Post
Good thing windows roll down.
Back ones don't, unless your Camaro is impressively customized.
It's important for the officer to be able to see thru the back and side windows, too, so he knows what he is walking up to.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #23
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Back ones don't, unless your Camaro is impressively customized.
It's important for the officer to be able to see thru the back and side windows, too, so he knows what he is walking up to.
So you are advocating no tint on any windows ever?
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #24
wwiiavfan

I’d be fine with that. Other than the top 4” or so on the windshield, I’ve never had other than factory tint on any of my vehicles, so I wouldn’t miss it.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:58 PM   #25
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Still waiting for someone to explain the need for 5% tint.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:46 AM   #26
mrgoodwrench
The Wicked Jester

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Vert
So for the OP - this is a good conversation for people.... My 2010 & 2014 Camaros has 5% ont he back and side windows and 20% on the Drivers/Passenger Windows. I did the same for my Cobalt, Cavalier, 2 late model Monte Carlos (Z34 & SS) and my Cavalier Z24. I did it primarily due to taking my lunch breaks in the my car - which may have included a quick power nap... lol....my daughter had 5% on her Accord where my son had 35% on his Civic (cant bring kids up right anymore...lol). The 5% made it difficult to see at night. I also used 2 different tints for Front/Rear so the LEO could easily see that one was lighter than the other.

All of my car tints are considered illegal Tint here in NY (can only have the factory tint) ...I also run without a Front plate - for the 3 Camaro's, the 2 Monte Carlos, and my old Z24 (Fun Car) - but have the dented and broken front plate cover in trunk just in case to show it was installed on a car!

It is really how much of a jerk you are to the LEO when you first interact with them. If you are polite then 95% of the time you will not have an issue - and don't get bent when you were speeding an manage to eek out a Parking on Pavement instead - which carries the same penalty without points. You were speeding and the LEO were doing their job...been pretty lucky over the last 10 years with only a CT cop really pissed at me...

As for getting pulled over - as I have taught my kids - I have both windows down (mentioned on another post here) but also turn on the dome light...just so the LEO can feel a bit more comfortable as he approached the car because he can now somewhat see inside. - I also tend to turn it off and take my foot off the brake to show I will not be running...
Old Car: 2010 Camaro Inferno Orange 2LT/RS
mrgoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:11 AM   #27
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwrench View Post
So for the OP - this is a good conversation for people.... My 2010 & 2014 Camaros has 5% ont he back and side windows and 20% on the Drivers/Passenger Windows. I did the same for my Cobalt, Cavalier, 2 late model Monte Carlos (Z34 & SS) and my Cavalier Z24. I did it primarily due to taking my lunch breaks in the my car - which may have included a quick power nap... lol....my daughter had 5% on her Accord where my son had 35% on his Civic (cant bring kids up right anymore...lol). The 5% made it difficult to see at night. I also used 2 different tints for Front/Rear so the LEO could easily see that one was lighter than the other.

All of my car tints are considered illegal Tint here in NY (can only have the factory tint) ...I also run without a Front plate - for the 3 Camaro's, the 2 Monte Carlos, and my old Z24 (Fun Car) - but have the dented and broken front plate cover in trunk just in case to show it was installed on a car!

It is really how much of a jerk you are to the LEO when you first interact with them. If you are polite then 95% of the time you will not have an issue - and don't get bent when you were speeding an manage to eek out a Parking on Pavement instead - which carries the same penalty without points. You were speeding and the LEO were doing their job...been pretty lucky over the last 10 years with only a CT cop really pissed at me...

As for getting pulled over - as I have taught my kids - I have both windows down (mentioned on another post here) but also turn on the dome light...just so the LEO can feel a bit more comfortable as he approached the car because he can now somewhat see inside. - I also tend to turn it off and take my foot off the brake to show I will not be running...

My Coyote I had the dealer throw the tint in. I'm pretty sure my back windows were 5 percent, and my front windows were around 20 percent. I think I'll just play it safe and go with 20 all around.

My cousin has a friend who does the tint on all their cars for about $160. He got 5 percent on his Expedition but then again it's a BIG SUV with better visibility.

I know my last stang they did it the old way. Are most shops using the computers which give it a precision cut?
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #28
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
My tint is at 35% all the way around, including sunroof (nothing on windshield) and I think it looks great. It's UV blocking tint, and it does its job well, but even in overcast daylight it can be a bit hard to see out of when backing into a parking spot. Also, when I wave at my neighbors as I drive through my neighborhood, they usually don't see me do it through the side windows, but they do through the front.

I couldn't go any darker and enjoy it.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote