Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #1
grimesweb

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1SS Vert
New '19 1SS Camaro

Hey all, Just bought a new to me '19 1SS Camaro Vert Manual (couldn't justify the price of the 2SS since I won't be driving it in our winter months in NY). I got a great deal on it and it only has 5k miles so it's still practically brand new . It will be here on Monday.

I have some questions for you all.

1) I'm coming from a 2010 4.6L V8 Mustang Manual. Will I really feel the power difference between that and the 6.2L on the Camaro?

2) Being it's 1SS and non-npp, what does the modes actually do? I think there's sport mode on their, but not sure how that works or what else it does if I don't have the NPP option (cost savings).

3) I've lurked on the forum and see that most people now are recommending ESP 0w-40 for the oil. The oil cap though say 5w-30. Which is the one I actually need for the car? Is it really 10 quarts??

4) Is there anything I should look out for or Recalls I should look out for?

Glad to be a part of this forum now
grimesweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Congrats on the new car!

Modes depend on whether you have several things. You say no NPP so it won't change anything there.

Steering:
changes feel of steering; harder feel as you go from tour to track

Exhaust:
N/A

Ride:
If you have magnetic ride control it changes the ride to stiffer as you go from tour to track. Look in your trunk (under the floor) for the silver decal with RPO codes. If you can find F55 on that decal, you have mag ride.

Transmission (auto only):
changes shift behavior.

All modes (that you can control) can be set to "Automatic" (given mode follows console rocker switch selection), or can be set to remain in any given mode you like regardless of console switch. This is done in the MyLink screen, Home, vehicle settings. For example, I have NPP. I usually have the "Exhaust" set to "Sport" so it stays in Sport regardless of what I select on the console switch.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Congrats on the new ride

1. you'll certainly feel the difference from the 4.6 v8
3. My '19 also came with 5w30 on the oil cap. but since gm changed the recommendations , my dealer has been putting 0w40.
4. Look out for lot's of people wanting to race ya. If there are recalls or tsb's; this is a good place for that sort of info.

Post up some pics when you get a chance, we'd love to see it.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
Drizzt ss

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS MRC NPP
Congrats and welcome! The guys above me pretty much said it all, the only tsb I can recall is one of the power steering lines. I can’t remember exactly but it had to do with them putting something on one of the lines to prevent corrosion. Hopefully they addressed that with the newer models. And where’s the pics!!!
Old 03-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #5
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I have a similar car. Mine is the 10 speed and not a convertible. The mode changes the steering and how the car responds. Tour mode it drives around like a normal car. Sport mode it responds faster, shifts harder. The exhaust also seems to pop more in sport and track mode. Track mode it is pretty much the same as sport but it allows to use the line lock and launch control. I am sure track mode has some changes to it over sport but you probably won’t notice much difference driving it on the street. I know I don’t. I also have the standard exhaust on mine.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Generally speaking the 2019 SS will be a second faster in the 1320 than a 2010GT

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #7
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I came from the same Mustang. You’re gonna wonder what the hell Ford was doing putting out a v8 that slow while Chevy had been producing 400+ hp cars for a while before Ford finally put a decent engine in a Mustang GT.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #8
grimesweb

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1SS Vert
Thank you all for the replies! I'll post pictures once I receive shipment of the car next week Super excited !
grimesweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:43 AM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Congrats on the new ride

1. you'll certainly feel the difference from the 4.6 v8
3. My '19 also came with 5w30 on the oil cap. but since gm changed the recommendations , my dealer has been putting 0w40.
4. Look out for lot's of people wanting to race ya. If there are recalls or tsb's; this is a good place for that sort of info.

Post up some pics when you get a chance, we'd love to see it.
0W-40 dexos2 is the recommended oil for ALL Gen6 Camaro's (with the LT1 motor) for track use while the 5W-30 dexos1 Gen2 oil is what's recommended for non-track use. The difference is that GM changed the wording of their recommendation from "Use 5W-30 and change to 0W-40 for the track" to "Use 0W-40, but know that 5W-30 is fine for street use."

Nothing truly changed except that the lawyers got involved to change the 'positioning' of the recommended oil to err on the side of all use cases as the base.

While my 2020 SS came with 0W-40 in it from the factory, it has only seen 5W-30 since 500 miles (first oil change). There's a massive price difference between the two oils and even changing it myself it's very noticeable in the wallet. Given that mine is a weekend street car only, and the 5W-30 oil meets all standards to maintain full warranty with GM, I personally see no reason to spend 3x as much for my oil changes. If more companies get their oil 'marketing branded' to be on GM's list for dexos2, and the market prices for the 0W-40 oils comes down, I'll reconsider.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Congratulations and you will notice the difference in hp especially since it’s a 6.2 as compared to the 4.6! Now the 5.0 Coyote is a different animal though. You can do searches on the web to find websites to enter your VIN to check for any recalls, TSBs. I know GM has one you can use to find this info. On the oil, I would use what your engine requires in the owners manual. If it states 5w30 then that’s what I would use. I change my oil in my ZL1 and use 5w30 because it’s all street driving I do and no track events. Good luck and I know you will really enjoy the 1SS once you get it and good choice with a 6 speed manual too.��