Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-25-2020, 10:51 PM   #15
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
I know that's the case in theory. Is it true in practice as well? No one should need to add any coolant ever?

My 2016 has approximately 15,000 miles, and the lower reservoir is empty so I'll be going through the refill process. Should I be looking for a leak also? I certainly haven't noticed any leak on the garage floor.
Same, mine was low also.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:13 AM   #16
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Same, mine was low also.
Mine too. I live in a colder climate (Scandinavia). Although I don’t drive the car in the winter due to road salt. I speculate that this may have something to do with the outside temperature. In 2019 when I drove my car to Switzerland, Austria and northern Italy i noticed a dip in the overflow tank level. Between those areas there were a high fluctuation in temperature. From around 6c to 40c.

I believe it is possible for the coolant in the overflow/expansion tank to evaporate slightly.

I’ve never had to add more than a few sips to get it to the correct level.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #17
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
It was likely always like that. Most were delivered with the coolant under filled
Old 12-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #18
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
It was likely always like that. Most were delivered with the coolant under filled
Agreed. Once you’ve got it at the right level you should be good for a long time.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #19
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thanks, no big deal then. Good to know.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #20
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
So how much coolant loss over time is normal?
You are going to lose some water due to evaporation. If everything is sealed up tight, maybe a few ounces per year. Might vary depending on ambient temperature where you park the car. I also think as the rubber seals on the car age, you might tend to lose more. But this should not be more than an annual refill of a small amount until you sell the car.

There are a few schools of thought on what to add back when it is low:
1) 100% coolant, since you don't know if you lost because of leak or evaporation, and you can't go wrong with ALL coolant.
2) 50/50 mix - as this is factory fill
3) 100% water - as the water component is what evaporates, not the coolant part (so goes the theory)

I do #2. I use de-ionized water if I don't have 50/50 pre-mix, which is pretty much the same as distilled water. You don't want tap water.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #21
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
You are going to lose some water due to evaporation. If everything is sealed up tight, maybe a few ounces per year. Might vary depending on ambient temperature where you park the car. I also think as the rubber seals on the car age, you might tend to lose more. But this should not be more than an annual refill of a small amount until you sell the car.

There are a few schools of thought on what to add back when it is low:
1) 100% coolant, since you don't know if you lost because of leak or evaporation, and you can't go wrong with ALL coolant.
2) 50/50 mix - as this is factory fill
3) 100% water - as the water component is what evaporates, not the coolant part (so goes the theory)

I do #2. I use de-ionized water if I don't have 50/50 pre-mix, which is pretty much the same as distilled water. You don't want tap water.
Thanks - I have the pre-mix, so I'll use that.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote