Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
Ezpzrider

Drives: 2021 camaro 2LT
Blow off valve

Hey just joined and waiting for my 2021 to come in the LT2 with the 2.0 liter turbo. It’s my first camaro and I cannot find a Blow off valve just for the camaro. Also looking to do some mods without messing around with my warranty it’s a lease. Any I out would help thinking about doing a simple straight pipe to sound better along with the BOV
Ezpzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Putting an aftermarket BOV will and can mess with your warranty. Spend your money on something else. Good luck.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
Ezpzrider

Had one on my last turbo took it off no problem before i gave it in. But is there any BOV for the camaro ???
Old 09-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
HyperBlue1SS

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Camaro 1SS
I have no working knowledge of the GM 2.0 liter turbo but on my STi with the 2.5L engine it was factory equipped with a recirculating BPV. The MAF metered for a certain amount of air and would recirculate the already metered air back into the intake when the BPV activated. If you added a blow off valve and did not have the engine tuned it could cause issues with your A/F ratios.

Maybe someone with a little more knowledge on these engines could chime in!
1LE Replicas / Solo Axleback Exhaust/ Street Scene Front Splitter / Diode Dynamics Smoked LED Side Markers / OEM Smoked Tails & Third Brake Light / OEM Illuminated Door Sills / OEM ZL1 Side Skirts / OEM ZL1 Spoiler / OEM Black Badges / GM CAI / Soler Engineering TB/TC / Katzkin Leather / 20% Tint
HyperBlue1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:23 PM   #5
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue1SS View Post
I have no working knowledge of the GM 2.0 liter turbo but on my STi with the 2.5L engine it was factory equipped with a recirculating BPV. The MAF metered for a certain amount of air and would recirculate the already metered air back into the intake when the BPV activated. If you added a blow off valve and did not have the engine tuned it could cause issues with your A/F ratios.

This. I came from a WRX as well. I'm sure it's the same with the camaro.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
dmcmahan60

Quote:

Same here. I had a 2008 STI and changing the stock BOV would cause issues. It was a big no no in the Subaru community:(
Old 09-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I had a 2004 WRX. It was a common misconception that you should change the blow off valve so it would make the "psssssssh" noise. The "pppssshhh" came from removing the stock intake silencer. Factory BOV is fine, unless you are going to far more boost with a bigger turbo and you need a stronger valve to hold that back. The modern cars are coming with recirculating BPV as described above.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I'm not sure how the camaro is, but most turbocharged engines reroute the bov back into the intake because the air is already metered, so when you blow off, it discharges already metered air and you'll run rich.

some cars can handle this, some cars can't. Some cars don't have inline air sensors to measure air and go off of manifold pressure alone, so the air hasn't reaching the measuring point yet, and you can blow off all day long.

the general rule of thumb however, is if you are under warranty, replacing your bov with aftermarket will void the powertrain warranty.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
HyperBlue1SS

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I had a 2004 WRX. It was a common misconception that you should change the blow off valve so it would make the "psssssssh" noise. The "pppssshhh" came from removing the stock intake silencer. Factory BOV is fine, unless you are going to far more boost with a bigger turbo and you need a stronger valve to hold that back. The modern cars are coming with recirculating BPV as described above.
I 100% agree! To the OP, your money is best spent on CAI. The factory BPV will definitely give you that BOV sound your looking for but not have near the downside of running a vent to atmosphere BOV. Ideally you should probably still be tuned but I don't really see a lot of downside to running a CAI without a tune as actually installing a BOV! The ECU should be able to compensate for the increased airflow and still function properly.
1LE Replicas / Solo Axleback Exhaust/ Street Scene Front Splitter / Diode Dynamics Smoked LED Side Markers / OEM Smoked Tails & Third Brake Light / OEM Illuminated Door Sills / OEM ZL1 Side Skirts / OEM ZL1 Spoiler / OEM Black Badges / GM CAI / Soler Engineering TB/TC / Katzkin Leather / 20% Tint
HyperBlue1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #10
Ezpzrider

Thanks for the info. But yes I’m looking for that woosh sound On my last one I loved it. So the factory BPV should get what I’m looking for ?
Old 09-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
Ezpzrider

Also reading a BPV spacer is much better and could produce more of that noise
Old 09-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #12
dmcmahan60

Quote:
I 100% agree! To the OP, your money is best spent on CAI. The factory BPV will definitely give you that BOV sound your looking for but not have near the downside of running a vent to atmosphere BOV. Ideally you should probably still be tuned but I don't really see a lot of downside to running a CAI without a tune as actually installing a BOV! The ECU should be able to compensate for the increased airflow and still function properly.
Running a CAI on a Subaru without a tune will cause a lean condition and pop an engine. Seen it happen. I had an AEM on my car along with the Cobb hand held tuner. Cobb had MAPS specifically for the AEM intake and that was the only one I would consider installing on my car. I don't know how sensitive or picky GM is about the tunes from the factory but it would be worth looking into.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #13
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
Running a CAI on a Subaru without a tune will cause a lean condition and pop an engine. Seen it happen. I had an AEM on my car along with the Cobb hand held tuner. Cobb had MAPS specifically for the AEM intake and that was the only one I would consider installing on my car. I don't know how sensitive or picky GM is about the tunes from the factory but it would be worth looking into.
The intake was a Subaru SPT and didn’t require a tune. It was more of a “hot air intake”. I was running Cobb stage 2 though.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #14
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
HyperBlue1SS

And the others are 100% correct. With a "pull through" MAF you cannot VTA (vent to atmosphere) as all air is measured (metered) by the MAF prior to the turbo. A "Blow through" MAF is placed app. 6-12" from the throttle body and only measures the charge air as it enters the intake manifold. JacFab may have a larger recirculating unit I would check and see, but to convert to blow-through would require an entirely different configuration on these, just like the Subaru and many other OEM systems. If you want more power, hard to beat Coopers Camaro for tuning these. Huge improvement, and of course the billet stall converter for the A8 that corrects the shudder and knocks .2-.5 seconds off 0-60 times.

Cheers!!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote