Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #15
sickspeedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Whats size are your wheels?
I know this thread is ancient, just wondering if you could advise on a ride height for me please. Street only car on Pedders XA double adjustable with 18" wheel.
sickspeedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #16
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickspeedSS View Post
I know this thread is ancient, just wondering if you could advise on a ride height for me please. Street only car on Pedders XA double adjustable with 18" wheel.
Pete is not around anymore. To give you an idea, a friend has 2” drop on 19s and scraps a carpet in his garage. Just for racing. I have a 1” drop on 20s and is fine. 1” is as low as I can go on 19s and scrap going down steep drive. 1” drop on 18s, a freind scraped everywhere
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #17
sickspeedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Pete is not around anymore. To give you an idea, a friend has 2” drop on 19s and scraps a carpet in his garage. Just for racing. I have a 1” drop on 20s and is fine. 1” is as low as I can go on 19s and scrap going down steep drive. 1” drop on 18s, a freind scraped everywhere
The car is already dropped, it had a set of 20” f-14’s on it when I bought it with the adjustable shocks on the car. It had a autocross setup on the car and I never got the setup sheet from the guy so I’m not completely sure how far it was lowered to begin with. I have since went down to an 18 inch wheel and was curious if anyone had any ride height numbers I could use to get me in the ballpark for a the street. It’s just to low right now and a complete pain in the ass the get on and off alignment lifts, get a jack under etc. It’s about 24 5/8 from the lower wheel lip to the wheel well right now. Just curious if any guys were on 18’s that had any feedback to offer
Old 04-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #18
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
Quote:
The car is already dropped, it had a set of 20” f-14’s on it when I bought it with the adjustable shocks on the car. It had a autocross setup on the car and I never got the setup sheet from the guy so I’m not completely sure how far it was lowered to begin with. I have since went down to an 18 inch wheel and was curious if anyone had any ride height numbers I could use to get me in the ballpark for a the street. It’s just to low right now and a complete pain in the ass the get on and off alignment lifts, get a jack under etc. It’s about 24 5/8 from the lower wheel lip to the wheel well right now. Just curious if any guys were on 18’s that had any feedback to offer
What size tires are you running? That is what makes the difference. The tire diameter can be the same in a 18" & 20", or they can be very different.

So my 18" inch setup may not be the same as yours. I'm running a square 275/40/18. I'm 25" from bottom of wheel to fender. From floor to fender 28".
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #19
sickspeedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
What size tires are you running? That is what makes the difference. The tire diameter can be the same in a 18" & 20", or they can be very different.

So my 18" inch setup may not be the same as yours. I'm running a square 275/40/18. I'm 25" from bottom of wheel to fender. From floor to fender 28".
I’m running a 285/40/18 square setup as well on a 10” wheel.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #20
sickspeedSS

I just came across a couple of posts suggesting to stay within a certain ride height to keep the suspension and axles happy. Just looking to see the general number that works well without sitting on the ground.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #21
Coleroad

Quote:
I’m running a 285/40/18 square setup as well on a 10” wheel.

Ok, so over stock, you have .85" drop from the tires. The sweet spot for suspension drop is right in the 1 inch range. I would be going for the both together a drop of 1.85 inches.

My car right now is ground to fender 28" right on the nose. Thats a 2 " inch total drop, 1" by tire, 1 inch by suspension drop. I have about 3 inches of ground clearance.

So you would be setting say around 28 3/16" ground to fender
Old 04-14-2020, 07:42 PM   #22
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
I just came across a couple of posts suggesting to stay within a certain ride height to keep the suspension and axles happy. Just looking to see the general number that works well without sitting on the ground.
That number is 1- 1-1/4” from stock. On 20” wheels, that’s about 25.75-26” on the front and a max of 26” at the rear. After that rear axel angle is to great for high speed driving. Axel grease gets to hot, melts and runs out of axel boots that can split. By by axel. For street not as much of a concern.

Then for 19” wheels figure hieght will be 1/2” lower, 18s will be 1” lower then the numbers I have above. Then you factor in the tire diameter. And remember the tires squish down about 1/4” also.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #23
Coleroad

Quote:
That number is 1- 1-1/4” from stock. On 20” wheels, that’s about 25.75-26” on the front and a max of 26” at the rear. After that rear axel angle is to great for high speed driving. Axel grease gets to hot, melts and runs out of axel boots that can split. By by axel. For street not as much of a concern.

Then for 19” wheels figure hieght will be 1/2” lower, 18s will be 1” lower then the numbers I have above. Then you factor in the tire diameter. And remember the tires squish down about 1/4” also.
Wheel size doesn't mean you will sit lower. The stock 18" wheels, and stock 20" inch wheels. You have the exact same diameter tires on them . Resulting in the exact same ride hight. His 285/40/18 is a 27" diameter tire. The stock tire diameter is 28.7". That gives him a drop of .85". That tire drop doesn't affect the suspension geometry. So if he keeps his suspension drop to only a inch. He will be all good.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:33 PM   #24
sickspeedSS

Quote:

And those numbers are measuring from the lower lip of the wheel to the center of the fender well? That should get me in the ballpark. And then after I raise the ride height I need to time the bushings?? I’ll have to be educated on that process also.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:37 PM   #25
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
And those numbers are measuring from the lower lip of the wheel to the center of the fender well? That should get me in the ballpark. And then after I raise the ride height I need to time the bushings?? I’ll have to be educated on that process also.
Yes. Timing , certain control arms need to be fully lose, drive car slowly in driveway so car settles. Then tighten and get alignment. That’s basics. I had it done by shop as is best way and safest.Look up threads. Plenty info on forum
Old 04-14-2020, 10:29 PM   #26
sickspeedSS

Quote:
Yes. Timing , certain control arms need to be fully lose, drive car slowly in driveway so car settles. Then tighten and get alignment. That’s basics. I had it done by shop as is best way and safest.Look up threads. Plenty info on forum
You’ve been a big help, thanks a lot!
Old 04-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #27
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
You’ve been a big help, thanks a lot!