Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2ss
Send a message via Skype™ to Hollard
P069E & P0231 while going 100+mph

Question: has anyone had an issue with getting a CEL code for P0231 (fuel pump secondary circuit low) & P069E, which is trigger by 1st code, when going WOT? I was on track a couple of times and gotten the CEL once I hit around 120mph.

I'll be in the shop by next week for diagnosis, but curious to know if anyone else had the experience. I'm modded with supercharger, cam, flex fuel, and JMS voltage booster. Was tuned for up to 60% ethanol. Tuner did a revised tune, used 40% and even 19% blend and still same thing. Tuner thinking it has to be what the code is indicating, an electrical issue.

Thanks!

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
performance mods: Whipple 2.9; LT4 fuel system; 2" Kooks Longtube Headers w/ Green Cats; RotoFab Big Gulp series CAI; GPI forged pistons & rods; BTR stage 3 camshaft; DSX Flex Fuel Sensor; JMS Voltage Booster; JRE tune
Hollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
MSU120

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Interesting. I’m curious to see how this works out. Good luck.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT—605rwhp, SOLD
MSU120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
Herold Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Is it something that happened out of nowhere or is this a new build set up that the code popped up from?

Unplug the JMS and see if it still occurs. I see your sig says LT4 fuel system, does that include a ZL1 in tank pump as well?
Herold Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer@DarkNight View Post
Is it something that happened out of nowhere or is this a new build set up that the code popped up from?

Unplug the JMS and see if it still occurs. I see your sig says LT4 fuel system, does that include a ZL1 in tank pump as well?
Yes, it has the ZL1 in-tank pump as well. I'll try that unplugging the JMS and see if the code pops up during WOT.

The code started popping up after the JMS add on and e85 tune. BUT due to my previous tune, Ted (JRE) stated that my previous tune still had a whole lot of stuff on stock settings and that I had a lot of setting for DTC readings disabled from the tune.

During the dyno tune, no issues. When I drove the car back home no issues. It was maybe a week later, I did a long WOT pull up to 128 and the codes popped up. Cleared codes and did 3 more pulls like that on 3 separated days and codes pop up again. Car feels fine overall. Did a data log, sent it to Ted, he did a revision. I uploaded the revised tune and seemed fine after 3 pulls to 130. And during this time I was still on a 56% e85 blend.

A week later after that, I have a track day and code pop up again when I'm WOT on the straightaway hitting 110. But I kept pushed through out my 20 mintue session. Car felt fine.

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
performance mods: Whipple 2.9; LT4 fuel system; 2" Kooks Longtube Headers w/ Green Cats; RotoFab Big Gulp series CAI; GPI forged pistons & rods; BTR stage 3 camshaft; DSX Flex Fuel Sensor; JMS Voltage Booster; JRE tune
Old 08-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU120 View Post
Interesting. I’m curious to see how this works out. Good luck.
Thanks! This situation just weird. It's good that the car seems and feels like it fine, but it's annoying getting that CEL when I'm WOT up to 120 - 130mph.

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
The P069E is the FPCM requesting MIL.

The P0231 is secondary circuit low which could be a connection issue or bad pump.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The P069E is the FPCM requesting MIL.

The P0231 is secondary circuit low which could be a connection issue or bad pump.

Ted.
Thanks Ted! I was hoping to get the car up to you soon, but my state, Virginia, is currently on Connecticut's travel advisor/restriction list of needing to quarantine for 14 days if coming to the state from an highly effect state. My plan was to drop car off and fly back.

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollard View Post
Thanks Ted! I was hoping to get the car up to you soon, but my state, Virginia, is currently on Connecticut's travel advisor/restriction list of needing to quarantine for 14 days if coming to the state from an highly effect state. My plan was to drop car off and fly back.
I am sorry our Government is a bunch of One World Order Idiots.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
Herold Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollard View Post
Yes, it has the ZL1 in-tank pump as well. I'll try that unplugging the JMS and see if the code pops up during WOT.

The code started popping up after the JMS add on and e85 tune. BUT due to my previous tune, Ted (JRE) stated that my previous tune still had a whole lot of stuff on stock settings and that I had a lot of setting for DTC readings disabled from the tune.

During the dyno tune, no issues. When I drove the car back home no issues. It was maybe a week later, I did a long WOT pull up to 128 and the codes popped up. Cleared codes and did 3 more pulls like that on 3 separated days and codes pop up again. Car feels fine overall. Did a data log, sent it to Ted, he did a revision. I uploaded the revised tune and seemed fine after 3 pulls to 130. And during this time I was still on a 56% e85 blend.

A week later after that, I have a track day and code pop up again when I'm WOT on the straightaway hitting 110. But I kept pushed through out my 20 mintue session. Car felt fine.
That's why I was asking if it had the ZL1 pump in tank also. Could be something with the install of the in tank pump. Pinched wire or loose. Though I don't think the pump is bad if you are saying the car is driving fine and not giving any kind of issues as far as fuel pressure or leaning out. I'd get the car back to the shop and have them go over the set up.

I'd still unplug the BAP just in case, eliminate any variables you can to make the repair easier for the shop. Less down time for you as well.

If the previous tune had the codes set to not trip a CEL, or register as a fault, that's probably why it didnt happen before. This issue could have been there the whole time and the previous tune just told the car to ignore it.
Herold Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I have very close to the same mods and exactly the same issue. On my last track day, on e60, these same two codes popped up at the top of 4th gear, probably around 135 - 140mph. I cleared them only to have them pop up again, right at the end of the end of the front straightaway. I pumped in 93 to bring the ethanol content down to 27 and the codes never reappeared.
Ted, you may recall that this occurred at last years Camarofest on the dragstrip, on e68 (I was shooting for 60, but overshot it a bit). When I returned, I sent you. I sent you few logs, you worked your magic and it went away, or at least I couldn't replicate on the street. I'm getting ready to take multiple logs at increasingly higher alcohol content to see how much e I can tolerate. I'm not even sure mine would throw the code on the dragstrip. In order to get it to misbehave on the street, I have to stay into it until around 140mph, (traps around 132 in the 1/4). On the track, the motor is singing at 6000rpm or more virtually all the time. I did verify that my JMS is ramping up the voltage to 17.5 at WOT.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #11
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I am sorry our Government is a bunch of One World Order Idiots.

Ted.
I totally agree with you on that ����

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #12
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer@DarkNight View Post
That's why I was asking if it had the ZL1 pump in tank also. Could be something with the install of the in tank pump. Pinched wire or loose. Though I don't think the pump is bad if you are saying the car is driving fine and not giving any kind of issues as far as fuel pressure or leaning out. I'd get the car back to the shop and have them go over the set up.

I'd still unplug the BAP just in case, eliminate any variables you can to make the repair easier for the shop. Less down time for you as well.

If the previous tune had the codes set to not trip a CEL, or register as a fault, that's probably why it didnt happen before. This issue could have been there the whole time and the previous tune just told the car to ignore it.
I will definitely try the unplugging of the BAP just to eliminate any variables like you said. Hopefully, I can make it soon back to JRE for them to look at it. As of now, I have to go in for a state inspection in a couple of days, maybe the dealer can do an electrical diagnostics or something. They have been pretty good checking out things for me on the car while having mods down.

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #13
Hollard
Space_Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I have very close to the same mods and exactly the same issue. On my last track day, on e60, these same two codes popped up at the top of 4th gear, probably around 135 - 140mph. I cleared them only to have them pop up again, right at the end of the end of the front straightaway. I pumped in 93 to bring the ethanol content down to 27 and the codes never reappeared.
Ted, you may recall that this occurred at last years Camarofest on the dragstrip, on e68 (I was shooting for 60, but overshot it a bit). When I returned, I sent you. I sent you few logs, you worked your magic and it went away, or at least I couldn't replicate on the street. I'm getting ready to take multiple logs at increasingly higher alcohol content to see how much e I can tolerate. I'm not even sure mine would throw the code on the dragstrip. In order to get it to misbehave on the street, I have to stay into it until around 140mph, (traps around 132 in the 1/4). On the track, the motor is singing at 6000rpm or more virtually all the time. I did verify that my JMS is ramping up the voltage to 17.5 at WOT.
Yep, that's when it happens for me, at the top of 4th gear. ...I will try again after clearing as much e85 out of the tank to be down to 10%, with basically just 93 in it. Because when the codes 1st pooped up, on 1 day I was about 56% E. The 2nd day I got blend down to 19%, able to go WOT to 130 and codes reappeared. After receiving a revised tune, I was able to do a WOT up to 130+ and no issues. That was on a 50 something % E. A week later during track day, the coded reappeared and I was on 58% E. ...I need to try again with lower E content.

But I forget - is it as boost go up, the "more" ethanol blend you can potential run? Or is it less boost and more ethanol blend you can potential use?

2017 Camaro 2ss M6
Old 08-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #14
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Hey Hollard, how is our low side fuel pressure holding up on WOT runs? Mine drops into the 50's on sustained 140mph pulls. I believe that our low side fueling is at the limit when running on e60.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cel, e85, lpfp, p0231, p069e