Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-22-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
Wideband Bung Location

I’ll be remote tuning my car & want to get a wideband bung welded onto my CSP headers before I have them coated. I’ll be running GESI cats so I was going to have a bung welded near the O2 sensor bung on the collector. Anyone have any clearance issues with the transmission in this location? My car is an M6. I have attached a picture of another car with CSP headers for reference. Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images

Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I did something similar by having a wideband O2 bung welded in before sending my headers off to be coated. Has worked out perfectly. I have an A8 though, FWIW.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2022, 02:29 PM   #3
Trochoidal

Another auto car but that’s very close to where I put mine.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:40 PM   #4
Cleancoupe

Thanks for the replies & pics guys. I’m pretty sure I’ll be fine in that location, but just wanted to make sure no one else ran into any problems there
Old 07-01-2022, 08:55 PM   #5
Cleancoupe

I checked under my buddies manual car yesterday & there is plenty of clearance under there. I’m now thinking behind the O2 bung or on the car pipe itself. Does either of these locations seem better?
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2022, 09:00 PM   #6
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
I checked under my buddies manual car yesterday & there is plenty of clearance under there. I’m now thinking behind the O2 bung or on the car pipe itself. Does either of these locations seem better?
2nd pic. you need to do it on an angle so the sensor doesn't make contact with the body. When I did mine on my '19, we had the car on the lift and welded it from underneath the car. Sure it's easier to do with the header off the car but having it welded with the headers on the car takes all the guess work out of the equation.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:31 PM   #7
Trochoidal

I agree on the 2nd picture too. I’d want to be as far upstream as possible. 10°+ angle for that bung is what’s needed.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Old 07-02-2022, 06:11 AM   #8
Cleancoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
2nd pic. you need to do it on an angle so the sensor doesn't make contact with the body. When I did mine on my '19, we had the car on the lift and welded it from underneath the car. Sure it's easier to do with the header off the car but having it welded with the headers on the car takes all the guess work out of the equation.
There is plenty of clearance in that area so I shouldn’t run into any issues with hitting the body there. I wanted to get it welded before I sent them out to get coated so that’s why I didn’t want to weld it on the car
Old 07-02-2022, 06:13 AM   #9
Cleancoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
I agree on the 2nd picture too. I’d want to be as far upstream as possible. 10°+ angle for that bung is what’s needed.
Thanks. I thought you would want to be a little further away from the merge on the collector so you’re getting a better mix from all banks? Yes, it will be at a slight angle up
Old 07-02-2022, 06:38 AM   #10
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Thanks. I thought you would want to be a little further away from the merge on the collector so you’re getting a better mix from all banks? Yes, it will be at a slight angle up
I'm with you. I'd do the first pic for that very reason if there's clearance.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:06 AM   #11
Trochoidal

Quote:
Good thought for sure about the merge but your 2nd picture is further away than the narrow band. Mine has been fine and I can’t see you have any problem at all doing as shown in the 2nd pic.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:01 PM   #12
Cleancoupe

Went with the location on the cat pipe before the cat.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2022, 06:57 PM   #13
Trochoidal

Quote:
Went with the location on the cat pipe before the cat.
Nice job! I ran a tap through the hole after the welding was complete. That gave me solitude knowing the WB wouldn’t try to become a permanent fixture due to distorted threads or debris.
Attached Images