Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-24-2023, 03:39 PM   #1
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
SCAM: Coughlin Chevrolet of Pataskala

Coughlin Chevrolet of Pataskala has a Red 2024 SS 1LE in that I tried to purchase, just now. Online their price is $51,215 and both people I talked to at the dealership stated that was the final sale price. I agreed to buy it and sold stock to free funds up for the purchase. 30 seconds after I sold stock they called back and said there's a $5k adjustment that their website, and AutoTrader, didn't reflect. I spoke to one of the sales managers and he said he would not honor the $51,215 price, stated there was a disconnect between the sales team and their business department side. What a shady and greedy move. If it was originally advertised with the $5k then I would have been fine, but not after I agreed to a price. I tried getting on their C8 Z06 list a few years ago, they never responded or showed interest after multiple attempts.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2023, 04:04 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Sorry you (almost) got played. I'd walk on principal like you seem to be doing. Who knows, maybe they'll call you back with a lower "adjustment" offer.

Another common move was the "bait and switch" a few shady dealers were doing in VA when I was looking for my 21 1LE. They'd post on their website that they had a car that was "in transit" and would show a favorable price, complete with cost breakdown. But then when you contacted them (I was out of state), they'd tell you either that car is a Sold Order for a specific customer, so you can't get that deal." Then they'd tell you they had another "similar car" to sell you that didn't have the same special pricing as the one they are advertising on-line.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:07 PM   #3
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Sorry you (almost) got played. I'd walk on principal like you seem to be doing. Who knows, maybe they'll call you back with a lower "adjustment" offer.

Another common move was the "bait and switch" a few shady dealers were doing in VA when I was looking for my 21 1LE. They'd post on their website that they had a car that was "in transit" and would show a favorable price, complete with cost breakdown. But then when you contacted them (I was out of state), they'd tell you either that car is a Sold Order for a specific customer, so you can't get that deal." Then they'd tell you they had another "similar car" to sell you that didn't have the same special pricing as the one they are advertising on-line.
Had that happen to me once and I got a call back over a month later, magically the car was available
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:09 PM   #4
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post

I've experienced the "bait and switch" you're talking about. It's a bit annoying when you know exactly what you want and they offer something else.

And yes, I am walking. I did get played to an extent since my sale order of stock went through; I would not have sold stock if I didn't plan to make a purchase.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:16 PM   #5
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
That's frustrating. Even though it takes some time and effort, dealing in person is often the better way to go. More direct communication. "I will buy the car today" are pretty powerful words when you're standing there with decision makers.

But, now you have the cash and are ready to pounce on the right car.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 05:28 PM   #6
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
I'd file a consumer protection complaint with the atty general. It may not go anywhere, but at least it makes the state office aware of the situation. This is a pretty common theme with dirty dealers. They advertise a lower price to hook you and then claim they made a mistake.
https://www.myfloridalegal.com/how-t...le-a-complaint
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:19 PM   #7
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
But if your stock tanks unexpectedly you won't feel as bad!
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:23 PM   #8
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
I would post on Yelp and submit to Better Business Bureau. Sorry, I’ve had a gait and switch experience too.
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:28 PM   #9
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I seriously doubt they were trying to bait and switch or scam you. When I ordered my 2024 they had no idea how much it was going to be and they told me. They had no idea GM was tacking on 5k on the base price on the 24 models. Sure the ad was an honest mistake and you can't expect them to take a 10% hit on price. Salesmen go by what is in their system so I would assume they would also make the same mistake. I am also sure that some kid got their butt chewed on for posting the wrong price in the system.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:35 PM   #10
scott_0

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Metallic SS 1le
dealerships wonder why they have a bad name, this is ridiculous
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:40 PM   #11
IndyZrider

Drives: 21 SHOCK ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
I seriously doubt they were trying to bait and switch or scam you. When I ordered my 2024 they had no idea how much it was going to be and they told me. They had no idea GM was tacking on 5k on the base price on the 24 models. Sure the ad was an honest mistake and you can't expect them to take a 10% hit on price. Salesmen go by what is in their system so I would assume they would also make the same mistake. I am also sure that some kid got their butt chewed on for posting the wrong price in the system.
Take a 10% hit on price? Don't think you realize how it works....unless you're trolling....taking off the market adjustment doesn't cause the dealer to lose money....and if the salesmen and gm aren't on the same page the dealer is full of uninformed morons....I'd walk on principle as well......
IndyZrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 07:29 PM   #12
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Dealerships have known what the 2024 adjustment was at least 4 month ago and the ad clearly has a VIN and stock number which means there’s no way they could have not known what the price was.
The only reasonable explanation is scam.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 07:57 PM   #13
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
You are naive. The $5K "adjustment" the dealer ambushed him with has nothing to do with GM; It's the premium the dealership is trying to charge above MSRP. The $60K price MSRP presumably already includes the whatever price increase (vs 23 model year) GM has chosen to go with.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:00 PM   #14
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I agree with the cowboy from Dallas-Fort Worth on this one.

The sales department at a dealership has one job, to sell cars and have up to date pricing and option information. This is literally their only job, so if they aren't aware of model year price adjustments, they already failed right there. Second, if you advertise a price, you honor it. If it's 10% less than what you thought you could squeeze out of the customer, you take 10% less money (which is still highly profitable), period.

In other words, I'd also walk on principle. They probably will find a sucker to pay the markup, no question about it, but it doesn't have to be you who enables such dishonest behavior.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote