Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-19-2022, 05:33 AM   #15
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
So why didn't you try to just clean the filter? You could just submerge the dirty filter in soapy water a few times (fresh soapy water each time), rinse by immersion in fresh, clean water and then all the filter to air dry.

It looks to be a filter just like any other cotton filter that K&N makes and those are supposed to last 100K miles. Whether it's a dry or wet filter, its pretty much the same materials and construction.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:19 AM   #16
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
So why didn't you try to just clean the filter? You could just submerge the dirty filter in soapy water a few times (fresh soapy water each time), rinse by immersion in fresh, clean water and then all the filter to air dry.

It looks to be a filter just like any other cotton filter that K&N makes and those are supposed to last 100K miles. Whether it's a dry or wet filter, its pretty much the same materials and construction.
I mean, its his $50, my first thought would've been a quick rinse with a hose, too.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a 20k replacer, I was under the understanding it should be able to make it to 50k. Still, its like a half a tank of gas so not a huge cost.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #17
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
And the VERY saddest thing of all... Is probably no one else in that damn parking lot even noticed the American Iconic, 55+ year history laden car you were driving...

I weep for our future... A bunch of Prius driving Mamby-Panzys...
Amen! I too have trouble getting to sleep some nights over concern for my children's children.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #18
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
from what i heard, washing it causes the dirt to just cake in the filter, where oil filters the dirt sticks to the oil and washes right out. i guess you could wash it out and air dry but is it worth the risk doing it that way?

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:46 PM   #19
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
What about putting a leaf blower on low and putting it into the hole of the filter, all the dirt is sucked into the filter, this would effectively reverse the airflow and should blow a large portion of the dirt off the outside of the filter...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:48 AM   #20
Crushin_LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
What about putting a leaf blower on low and putting it into the hole of the filter, all the dirt is sucked into the filter, this would effectively reverse the airflow and should blow a large portion of the dirt off the outside of the filter...
Could work for a quick refresh.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:50 AM   #21
Ventmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
It probably did not need replaced, by hey I admit I'm anal.
Though I prefer the word "conscientious".
Just repeating this part in case ya missed it.
If I wanted to refresh mine, I'd use my little air compressor with that adapter on it that lets you "blast" junk from around say your spark plugs before you change them. It can also be moderated to blow more easily, so I'd gently blow (from the inside outward, as you say), until the filter looked better.
Also a leaf blower could have inhaled a lot of leaf bits that could end up in your filter.

And if anyone wants a "lightly" used filter- I'm sure it would clean up well, drop me a PM!
Old 05-23-2022, 02:46 PM   #22
Ventmaster

OK- LAST, Last post on this topic. I got no takers on my old filter, so I guess you "cleaners" thought it was knackered and not worth the trouble too. I would've tried to blow it out a bit if anyone had shown an interest...

Well, it's gone now, headed for that landfill in the sky (well, more than a bit North of me!). Happy trails y'all!
Old 06-06-2022, 08:03 PM   #23
steelew

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Has anyone replaced theirs with KNN or similar?

I didn't realize it wasn't washable so now I want to replace the filter with a KNN or similar. Does anyone know the correct size to order? (No guesses please)
steelew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:41 AM   #24
Crushin_LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelew View Post
I didn't realize it wasn't washable so now I want to replace the filter with a KNN or similar. Does anyone know the correct size to order? (No guesses please)
Are you replacing now or at the 50k mark?