Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #1
Hankwvu

Drives: Gto
My first few months with my 1le

I was one of those who picked up a left over 15 1le. After a few months of driving, I'm forming a good opinion. With the gto having trans/driveshaft issues, the camaro has been pushed into dd service. My review is quite mixed. I have certainly enjoyed the power and handling. As well as the fun factor. It has been great for long trips as well. Certainly not the most comfortable, but I know they can blame me for being a bigger guy. The cheap crappy seats are quickly collapsing in the padding. Of course the cheap plastic interior has its rattles already too. I had a steering wheel position sensor go out on me. Didn't seem like too much of a big deal, but it took the stealership 2 1/2 weeks to get my car done. Now with the buzzing issue, I'm starting to fear the electronic gremlin issues. So basically, so far I have to admit, when my gto was new, it felt much better overall. Not so many damn computer controlled stuff. Knowing how I got over 220k moles on it (and still going) I have high aspirations for my Camaro. I just hope that as I start rallying the camaro, she makes it more enjoyable than the goat.

At this point, I have only a couple of questions. When I am letting her warm up, after a few minutes I get a bit of a "tick" from what sounds like the rear end. This "tick" starts out slow and gets faster and then stops. This happens over about 10 seconds. Is this something I should have checked out? Also, I have been told there are 2 different oil fills (or something) based upon temperature. What is the story with that? Also, when I have the clutch pedal out, there is all kinds of grinding and such. It is the same noise I get from my gto, but as I said, it has 220k miles on it, so I expect it. Should I be hearing the same crap with 8500 miles? Are there any other things I should be checking out as I approach the 10k mark? I know the stealership is SUPPOSED to be checking things when it is in, but truth is all they ever do is drain most of the oil, rub their belt buckles on the paint, and fill it somewhat, and call it good.

Overall, I like the car and will keep it, but not really putting as big of a smile as I get in the gto. Not sure why. Not to mention, I have gotten more compliments from my stock gto than I have this thing. I also sucks that I try to wave at all the camaros I can, but it is clear there is no gto/Jeep/etc group wave/reapect thing. Oh well.

I'm not even going to bring up the tire issue. A few fun runs through the wv backroads and the tires are gone. Ugh
Hankwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
The tick is, I'm told, an evap system check. It shouldn't happen regularly, my car did it 2x that I recall, and it was never heard again.

I'm not aware of any oil recommendations based on temperature. I use what's recommended, and that's all. If it's a new car, I'd change the oil, trans, and diff fluid, but that's just me.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I haven't had any of the issues you're having, but as far as the OEM GY's are concerned, I'm beginning to think many of us are thrown off by how shallow the tread "appears" as opposed to how much usable life is still in them. I'm on my second set, having changed out the originals at around 14K miles. I mainly did this for peace of mind, as I was the second owner, picking the car up in California and driving it to AZ. Just wanted new tires. Looking at the old set, which I kept as spares, there is plenty of wear left. Yes, the GY's are a 200 treadwear tire, but they shouldn't be wearing out at 5K miles for the average driver....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
The wave thing, it's a hit or miss depending on the other guy... Camaro drivers are not like motorcycle riders, or some other vehicle drivers.

My 1LE puts smiles on my face like no other 4 wheel vehicle I've owned, and I personally wouldn't and couldn't care less what others think of my ride... I didn't buy it for them, I bought it for me.

I got ~7500 out of the GY's before I put BFG's on... I ride year round here in CO, and I like driving below 40*... so GY's weren't going back on anyway.

Grinding w/ the clutch? never had that issue... smell while breaking in, yes... but no grinding or any kind of noise.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I have had no issues with the seats, and I am 300 lb guy. We have had the car for about 3 and 1/3 years and have over 43,000 mikes on it. I also run the GY's until they are slicks, but are on our 2nd bought set (3rd set) at this mileage and have a good 10K or better left in them.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
ThisGuyDrives

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey Metallic 1LE/1SS/RS
I have a 14 and it has 20k miles and zero issues. Definitely no seat problems (6ft 1 250lbs) and the only rattling I got is because of 2 12's in the trunk with 1,000 watts and even with that only the back dash rattles because I haven't put any Dynamat back there yet. When I have the bass turned all the way down, zero rattles and I go on some pretty crappy roads some times.

As for the wave thing, I guess it depends. If they are coming at you, there's a good chance they just didn't have time to wave back. By the time I've realized someone in a Camaro is waving at me, they already had gone by before I could put my hand up. Don't take it personal.

As for the compliments must just be were you live. There isn't a day I drive it that I don't get people pointing at it and nudging their friend to check it out, dropping their jaws, breaking their necks, giving me a thumbs up or actually telling me how awesome my Camaro is. It happens every time! From 3 yr olds to 70 yr olds, they all love it.

As for the tires, I recently opted for some much cheaper BF Goodrich G-Force tires due to being short on the money and I really miss my Goodyears. Don't get me wrong, having grip when it rains is soooo damn awesome! But, the cornering speed that I lost in dry pavement really sucks. I know I can still turn better than a regular SS, but definitely not as fast as before. Next summer I'm throwing the Goodyears back on, that's for damn sure. Well worth the $1,200!
ThisGuyDrives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyDrives View Post
I have a 14 and it has 20k miles and zero issues. Definitely no seat problems (6ft 1 250lbs) and the only rattling I got is because of 2 12's in the trunk with 1,000 watts and even with that only the back dash rattles because I haven't put any Dynamat back there yet. When I have the bass turned all the way down, zero rattles and I go on some pretty crappy roads some times.

As for the wave thing, I guess it depends. If they are coming at you, there's a good chance they just didn't have time to wave back. By the time I've realized someone in a Camaro is waving at me, they already had gone by before I could put my hand up. Don't take it personal.

As for the compliments must just be were you live. There isn't a day I drive it that I don't get people pointing at it and nudging their friend to check it out, dropping their jaws, breaking their necks, giving me a thumbs up or actually telling me how awesome my Camaro is. It happens every time! From 3 yr olds to 70 yr olds, they all love it.

As for the tires, I recently opted for some much cheaper BF Goodrich G-Force tires due to being short on the money and I really miss my Goodyears. Don't get me wrong, having grip when it rains is soooo damn awesome! But, the cornering speed that I lost in dry pavement really sucks. I know I can still turn better than a regular SS, but definitely not as fast as before. Next summer I'm throwing the Goodyears back on, that's for damn sure. Well worth the $1,200!
I agree with the above quoted comments

I'm always surprised when someone gets on here and complains about their Camaro. Iv'e had nicer and still own nicer and newer cars than my 1LE. Nice in that they ride better, have more fancy options, get better mileage and stuff like that.
My Camaro runs great, has one of the best paint jobs that I have ever had. My forged wheels have excellent paint on them, my throwout bearing makes an acceptable amount of noise for this type of car, the transmission is great. My tires were fine but I replaced them with MPSS. The LS3 is noisy, thats OK, they all are. My cheap interior looks like new and the Recaros haven't broken down, When people complain about their "crappy" Camaro, it makes them sound foolish....maybe they don't care.
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
My 2 1/2 years with my 1LE, no gripes and lots of fun. Everything is well placed, and no weird noises or rattles.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
rleon

Drives: 2015 1LE SUMMIT WHT 1SS NPP RECARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyDrives View Post

If you can spare a couple hundred more, get the HANKOOKS Ventus R-S3's. They stick better than the GY's and don't take as long to warm up like the GY's.
rleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #10
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
I haven't had any of the problems you're complaining about. 15k miles on mine, I absolutely love driving it and have no complaints other than the fact that the 1LE should have came with a bit of a power increase over a regular SS. Besides that I love everything about the car.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #11
Pushrod Pete

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Two years in, and zero issues here.
Pushrod Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #12
Rrm20151le

Drives: 2015 Red Rock 1LE
10 months of driving a great car with no issues for me.
Rrm20151le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #13
Hankwvu

Drives: Gto
I think you all took my comments a bit of the wrong way. I am certainly not calling the whole car "crappy". Quite frankly just the seats. I love the looks of them, but I feel like I'm already sitting directly on the seat heater. The trim is a bit on the plasticy side, but I didn't go for the car for the luxury. I went after the ls platform. I certainly enjoy the 1le platform as it put on all the suspension and such upgrades I was going to do from the beginning. I don't mind the stiffer ride at all. I like being able to feel the road and responsiveness. I know most complain about the visibility, I am not too lazy to look over my shoulder when changing lanes, so i have no real complaints there. I only brought up a few things wondering if there were any kind of common issues that pop up. As far as the wave thing, it isn't a big deal, but one thing I've always enjoyed about the car communities (for the most part) is the common interest and what that brings. There is nothing like hammering down the highway with a group of like minded people enjoying their rides. I guess I am a bit partial to my gto only because how I met so many great people and for nearly a decade and nearly a quarter of a million miles, she never flinched at any challenge. It didn't matter if I was running long runs at triple digits across Kansas, climbing Pikes Peak, hitting the high banks of Talledega, the turns at Watkins Glenn, the desolate wilderness of upper Maine, and so many other points. The camaro has some big shoes to fill in the rally world. I'm excited to get her running on her first run here in a month. So please don't take this as a rip on the camaro. I'm just trying to make sure my particular camaro is on the right path to match what I require. I'm not one to trade a car off every year or so. I tend to get to a point where I know what every rattle and personality trait is on a car. You can flame on me if you like. I have no desire to theme mine, put lambo doors on, or backwards opening hood. I will be lining her up with all different kinds of 'Mustangs, ctsv's, Corvettes, gtrs, Porsches, etc and just want to be getting all I can out of her without shit falling off. She will have a bit of a rough life, but will be well rewarded. I got the car to drive, not sit at car shows.
Hankwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
graf101
Trouble_SM

Drives: 17' Summit White ZL1
Mine is an early 2015 that I picked up on Thanksgiving of 2015 and I have no issues with noises, sounds or drivability. It runs like a raped ape and is probably the best handling vehicle I have ever owned. I am also 6'2" 210lbs and have the Recaros with zero issues, other than a multitude of compliments on them.
graf101 is offline   Reply With Quote