Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 08-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #15
GrantB

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 2SS
It is sometimes a hassle, but if you have ever seen a ceramic coated car at a car show, all shined up, turn in any direction away from it and bask in the glory of other peoples gorgeous paint swirls. I've seen brand new 200k+ cars with insanely defined swirls. My black paint is literally a mirror without any...Very rare to see a black car that (even freshly cleaned) doesn't have hundreds of noticeable swirls...any color for that matter but some stick out more than others.

I just have too much pride in my car to not have it look perfect all the time. My DD I just hit with a foam cannon and don't care if it gets scratched or dinged lol. My GSXR also stays very clean 24/7 but no I did not ceramic coat it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Wow. I just use Optimum rinseless wash. Takes about 20 min max if I take my time. My car looks sparkly clean when I'm done. I'd lose my mind if I went through all the stuff you do.
GrantB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #16
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I just tried Carpro Hydro2foam: diluted 10:1, spray on just-washed car, wipe, hose-off, dry. Done. I can't see the need for anything else.

For paint correction, I pay a shop for a simple polish. Don't see the need to try to flatten the orange peel.

PPF is necessary in some places as well imo.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #17
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
my car is ceramic coated and i dont daily it anymore and i literally have to wash it every weekend lol i hate it

in the winter i use a car cover to protect it from the rain and then every may i remove it and get my annual recoat/detail
Old 08-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #18
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
There's absolutely no reason for all of that. 40 years of cars and there's no reason for any of that, falling in to the myriad of products quagmire that they want you to "need" but I suspect from your posts you have other things going with you that transcend detailing a car. Just being honest.
you mean the obsessive thing?
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #19
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Hello,

So between my 17' Challenger, 18' Challenger, and now my '18 1LE I've used almost every product that Adam's polishes can offer. I've studied their videos and wash/clean/protect as prescribed by them.

Specifically for my 1LE I believe the best combination is VRT for the tires, Wheel Cleaner for the rims and then dry. I used their paint sealant, then 2 layers of Ceramic Wax let cure. For maintenance washes it got a little mixed up. So I own Ceramic Boost because I used Ceramic Wax. At first for my challenger I would use it as a drying agent when I towel dried because that's what the website said to do worked great. Then with my Camaro I noticed that the bottle contradicted itself and your suppose to use it once the car is dried. So I did and it was very hard to work with, pulled a lot, and I think contributed to my swirl problems. Adam's says the new formula is better, works with the car still, wet safe for windows but I was doing this every wash.

The representative then said that I should be using boost once every 4 washes and I'm suppose to be laying down H2O Guard and Gloss as a drying aid. They sent my brilliant glaze which was suppose to help with the swirls but didn't.

So as it stands right now my Camaro has a paint sealant, 2 layers of ceramic wax, a couple spray layers of ceramic boost, a layer of brilliant glaze, and another spray of ceramic boost. And after all that I still have swirls. It's very annoying and frustrating as I've literally spent at minimum 3-400 dollars with Adam's.

Standard wash procedure is clean the wheels, apply VRT to tires, clean the windows. Wet the car, spray wash foam on car, hand wash with Adam's wash pad. Spray down and dry with 2 adam's ultra plush drying towels (now) with H2O G&G. Every couple washes apply new formula Ceramic Boost. Spray Matte hood with Adam's Matte Protectant spray. Also I only use clean towels which I clean after every wash and for sealants/coatings I use their softest buffing and polishing wrags.

So now that my rant is over. What am I doing wrong here. Is it the washing? Are there better products? Should I just say screw it and sent it to Esoteric to have single stage paint corrections to start over and have them put on a Ceramic Coating? Let me know what you think because I'm out of ideas and I'd prefer not to buff myself I can just see myself not going fast enough and making even more of a mess.

First, if swirls bother you a lot, buy a polisher and take them out yourself. Its not hard and it is quite satisfying.

Your products are good. THe products are not the problem. The swirls are not getting there by osmosis. You are putting them there with your towels and applicators. You may need to take a hard look at your towels, your laundry methods and your detailing methods.

The more you wipe your car, the more chance you have of getting swirls.

If you hate seeing swirls, DON'T get a ceramic coating. Ceramic still swirls (an get water spots) and then you have to polish the swirls out and reapply.

If you love to rub on your car, and can't stop, go with a polymer paint sealant and top that with a wax.

Nothing wrong with being a detailing addict. I turned my detailing addiction into a business that is more successful than I ever dreamed it would be. Now I rub on other people's cars every day, instead of my own car!
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #20
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Wow yep, I don’t even know what stage 2 paint correction means! Bucket of Suds and big sponge rinse repeat...
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #21
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
I keep it simple. ONR rinseless wash or ONR rinseless wash and wax. Claybar once or twice a year depending and apply whatever wax/sealant I got laying around as I feel needed. Adam's HO2 G&G is fantastic stuff.

Since I've been using ONR for the past 3 years, I've had no issues with swirls at all. That stuff is magic.

The less you are touching the paint the better.

Last edited by SixgenSix; 08-21-2019 at 04:24 PM.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #22
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixgenSix View Post
I keep it simple. ONR rinseless wash or ONR rinseless wash and wax. Claybar once or twice a year depending and apply whatever wax/sealant I got laying around as I feel needed. Adam's HO2 G&G is fantastic stuff.

Since I've been using ONR for the past 3 years, I've had no issues with swirls at all. That stuff is magic.

The less you are touching the paint the better.
Keep in mind that clay is an abrasive. It causes micro marring. It really shouldn't be used unless you are going to polish after using clay.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #23
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Keep in mind that clay is an abrasive. It causes micro marring. It really shouldn't be used unless you are going to polish after using clay.

True!
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #24
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
If you have the $, do a full paint correction, put on a self-healing paint protection film and top it with a durable hydrophobic coating (see #3 below). You won't see a swirl ever again.

If not, then:
1. Strip off everything.
2. Polish the Swirls.
3. Buy a bottle of Gtechniq EXO ($70).
4. Put on 2 coats. Let it cure a week.
5. Wash with a pH neutral coating safe shampoo.
6. Dilute one part Carpro Reload into 5 parts Distilled water. Optionally add Carpro Ech20 (20:5:1 water:Reload:Ech20). This is your quick detail spray.
7. Use the QD with a 500+ GSM edgeless MF towel. (Rag Company Eagle Edgeless is good)
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:49 PM   #25
Whocares05050

It wont matter how much money you spend or what products you purchase if you do not properly wash your cars. Swirls are only formed from either poor washing methods or dirty microfiver pads / rags.

I use a 2 bucket method, microfiber large wash mitt, foam canon, pre-soak, and in addition to using wash soap in bucket I also spray the foam cannon in front of my mitt. I never wash in circles, never apply any pressure over the natural weight on the wash mitt, and I am sure to ALWAYS use edgeless microfibers and follow proper washing and drying methods when cleaning them.

It also helps that I live a couple miles from auto geek and stop by all the time.

Get back to the basics and watch a ton of videos on youtube.

After 1 yr of ownership and 5 washes a month, I have zero swirls in my paint....
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:14 AM   #26
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Man, all I use is Maquires Tech 2.0 wax and have NO swirls, with an absolute great shine. I have clear bra on the entire front, don't know if that makes a difference. You guys are killing me with all these layers of products you use.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #27
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
First, if swirls bother you a lot, buy a polisher and take them out yourself. Its not hard and it is quite satisfying.

Your products are good. THe products are not the problem. The swirls are not getting there by osmosis. You are putting them there with your towels and applicators. You may need to take a hard look at your towels, your laundry methods and your detailing methods.

The more you wipe your car, the more chance you have of getting swirls.

If you hate seeing swirls, DON'T get a ceramic coating. Ceramic still swirls (an get water spots) and then you have to polish the swirls out and reapply.

If you love to rub on your car, and can't stop, go with a polymer paint sealant and top that with a wax.

Nothing wrong with being a detailing addict. I turned my detailing addiction into a business that is more successful than I ever dreamed it would be. Now I rub on other people's cars every day, instead of my own car!
I guess I'm confused. Yeah it has to be me applying the swirls but at the same time how else am I suppose to clean my car? I use the absolute best/softest towels Adam's offers for each application. There's a towel for drying, applying the sealant, applying the wax like what else is there to do.

Also if you still have to worry about water spotting and swirls then why spend all the money for Ceramic Coating. What is the benefit then and what is it's purpose.....seriously asking.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #28
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
If you have the $, do a full paint correction, put on a self-healing paint protection film and top it with a durable hydrophobic coating (see #3 below). You won't see a swirl ever again.

If not, then:
1. Strip off everything.
2. Polish the Swirls.
3. Buy a bottle of Gtechniq EXO ($70).
4. Put on 2 coats. Let it cure a week.
5. Wash with a pH neutral coating safe shampoo.
6. Dilute one part Carpro Reload into 5 parts Distilled water. Optionally add Carpro Ech20 (20:5:1 water:Reload:Ech20). This is your quick detail spray.
7. Use the QD with a 500+ GSM edgeless MF towel. (Rag Company Eagle Edgeless is good)
So it's worth the investment for a buffer and just do it myself then? It seems like outside of doing it myself there's no way to prevent swirls