Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-27-2022, 02:56 PM   #43
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
What's different about the brake cooling package between the two? Does the LT1 not have a legit brake cooling duct from the front facia?
The frontal pictures you posted of the LT1 and SS models suggests these ducts might have been deleted, but someone should take a picture of an LT1 inner fender to find out. I know that the SS Convertible (which is also NOT track rated like the LT1 is not) does not have the brake cooling ducts or auxiliary engine cooler ducts in the fender liner. Grille in the front bumper of a 2016 'vert also had block-off plates installed where the inlet ducts for the brakes and aux coolers would be on a track-rated car.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:06 PM   #44
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
The frontal pictures you posted of the LT1 and SS models suggests these ducts might have been deleted, but someone should take a picture of an LT1 inner fender to find out. I know that the SS Convertible (which is also NOT track rated like the LT1 is not) does not have the brake cooling ducts or auxiliary engine cooler ducts in the fender liner. Grille in the front bumper of a 2016 'vert also had block-off plates installed where the inlet ducts for the brakes and aux coolers would be on a track-rated car.
Yes, that’s correct about the convertible (I owned one too). But, no need for a pic of the LT1, I can tell you for certain that there’s an open pass through from the bumper to the wheel liner. How much benefit you get from it, is anyones guess.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:11 PM   #45
LTfun

Drives: 2022 LT1, 1981 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Yes, that’s correct about the convertible (I owned one too). But, no need for a pic of the LT1, I can tell you for certain that there’s an open pass through from the bumper to the wheel liner. How much benefit you get from it, is anyones guess.
Wait what? On my LT1 they are blocked off. Like they are there on the front bumper and if you follow with your hand they are block off as part of the fender liner, seems easy enough to remove/cut.
LTfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:17 PM   #46
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
The price difference between the 2 is about 3k. You will eat that cost savings up real quick putting rims and tires on the lt1. And you still have the crappy dash, smaller infotainment screen, down graded brakes, and a way lower speed governor. IMO there is no value in getting a lt1 with prices so close

If you live somewhere like in Florida sure but if I went with the 1SS I would have to buy a set of wheels and tires for the winter time when temps were too cold for the stock SS tires. For everywhere else in the US if you don't fully store it in the winter you would need to get tires and wheels anyway.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:20 PM   #47
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
I took my car to an autocross recently (EDIT: This weekend that just passed) didn't have any issues with brakes overheating. Track use not sure not many LT1s mine included don't really get tracked that I have seen really. Drag strips Autocrosses and twisty roads is where LT1s are more frequent from what I have seen.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #48
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
If you live somewhere like in Florida sure but if I went with the 1SS I would have to buy a set of wheels and tires for the winter time when temps were too cold for the stock SS tires. For everywhere else in the US if you don't fully store it in the winter you would need to get tires and wheels anyway.
At first I was annoyed that I couldn't get all-seasons with the 1SS since I expect the car will arrive about 2 months before I need winter tires. But I've long preferred two sets of tires/wheels for the winter swap so a dedicated snow/ice tire can be ran (northern IL). I also prefer a smaller wheel and larger sidewall so a set of 18" with Blizzak will be purchased soon after I (expect to) receive the car.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:06 PM   #49
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTfun View Post
Wait what? On my LT1 they are blocked off. Like they are there on the front bumper and if you follow with your hand they are block off as part of the fender liner, seems easy enough to remove/cut.
Welp, based on your response, I had to dig a bit further (YouTube video on camaro cooling, where’s the air going) And guess what, you’re 100% correct! So without further ado, I apologize unreservedly for my error. I made an assumption that little vent from front to back on the outer edge of the bumper was actually doing something, which I’m sure it is. According to what I saw, it’s not cooling the brakes.

Thanks for correcting me on this
Old 07-28-2022, 07:23 AM   #50
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Welp, based on your response, I had to dig a bit further (YouTube video on camaro cooling, where’s the air going) And guess what, you’re 100% correct! So without further ado, I apologize unreservedly for my error. I made an assumption that little vent from front to back on the outer edge of the bumper was actually doing something, which I’m sure it is. According to what I saw, it’s not cooling the brakes.

Thanks for correcting me on this
That's the benefit of the forum. I suspected this given your experience since that had to be the only real difference. Crazy how much difference it seems to make! Be sure to report back after you make the mod and go back out.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:43 AM   #51
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
That's the benefit of the forum. I suspected this given your experience since that had to be the only real difference. Crazy how much difference it seems to make! Be sure to report back after you make the mod and go back out.
Oh no, I wasn’t the guy that melted center caps and lost my brakes tracking the LT1.. I just misspoke about the LT1 having cooling vents in relation to the aforementioned topic. If there’s any tracking to be done, I’d be buying a 1LE.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #52
LTfun

Drives: 2022 LT1, 1981 320i
Quote:
Oh no, I wasn’t the guy that melted center caps and lost my brakes tracking the LT1.. I just misspoke about the LT1 having cooling vents in relation to the aforementioned topic. If there’s any tracking to be done, I’d be buying a 1LE.
Yeah no worries, I want to check out that you tube video you mentioned. At some point I will probably retrofit whatever is needed to get maximum cooling but right now the car is just a street car and I really like the brakes as is.
LTfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:43 PM   #53
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
I drove mine in the winter without any issues whatsoever, obviously not in the snow but otherwise it is fine.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:58 AM   #54
SSlayer

Drives: 16 Camaro ss
Quote:
Instead of complaining about it, maybe you should dump your non track ready car and buy a 1LE? Seriously, that’s just common sense. And.. I’m not sure what really sucks means, just the brakes or basically everything?
I just got it because it was a cheap lease ($300) and something to drive for 3 years. I wouldn't buy another one after the '17 I owned because I also had a lot of issues with it hence why I leased this time but I figured upgrading the brakes on the LT1 would be enough for it to hold it's own on the track but definitely not.
SSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:00 AM   #55
SSlayer

Drives: 16 Camaro ss
Quote:
Instead of complaining about it, maybe you should dump your non track ready car and buy a 1LE? Seriously, that’s just common sense. And.. I’m not sure what really sucks means, just the brakes or basically everything?
I wouldn't say everything sucks buck it's no 1SS. The seats are worse than my dad's Equinox seats and the interior is just plain. I understand this is a stripped model but FFS put some side bolstering in the seats at least up to what an Equinox has.
SSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote