Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #1
Jarek

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Rear quarter panel replacement on Convertible

Hello,

I have tried to search for a similar topic but no luck.
If there is a valid thread please let me know and I will move this post there.

Got hit few days back on the side as the result of poor lane change by another driver (no blinker, no side mirror check).
As the result I have scratches from front right fender to rear bumper and on top of that dents in the right door and rear quarter panel.
Disassembly of front fender, door, rear bumper are pretty obvious however I wanted to ask about the quarter panel, especially on convertible.
They need to cut it out for replacement that's for sure but the repair shop claims that they would need to disassemble the top as well and here I am not so sure.

Did anyone have a similar experience in the past?

From what I see under the top cover there should be a way to cut it out without touching the top mechanism.
Please see the photos - there is a weld outside of the top-reserved space.

Best regards,
Jarek
Attached Images

Last edited by Jarek; 03-19-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:26 PM   #2
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I would get another shop to look at that. I would not want such a panel cut out from my own car. I bet a paintless dent removal shop could take out 98% of the hit on that quarter panel, without the inevitable hacking and cutting that a panel patch would require.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:23 AM   #3
Jarek

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Hi Mark,
I am definitely going to get another shop to analyse that.
An interesting idea with dent removal however IMO the most professional repair is replacement and not trying to make it back to original shape (this also takes some hacking, hammering and filling - plus possibility of rust - like on one of the pictures - this element was just repaired that way in the past. Never again if I can help it).
Cutting out the old element and welding in the new one should be much easier than reshaping if car was designed properly. Meaning that panels can be easily replaced (couple of welding points with easy access) in case of damage.
My only concern here is if the top mechanism needs to be disassembled too in order to cut out the quarter panel. If not them I am all in for the replacement.
Jarek is offline   Reply With Quote