Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus.

So I picked this up last week. Though I would give it a try, I have always been a hand wash type of guy.
My wheels were pretty dirty, lots of brake dust and who knows what else.
It says spray on, wait 2 - 4 minutes and hose off.
I just had a regular garden hose.
It recommends using a brush or tool to agitate / loosen heavy contamination. I wanted to see what it did by itself, so I just let it sit and then sprayed. I did leave it on for 7 minutes though....had to fix the hose as I tried to attached the nozzle and found the connector was broken by the kidz.

It worked as it says. 100% of the brake dust just rinsed away. Spokes, Barrel of the Wheel, Lug Nutz and the Caliper all came clean.
There were some areas that had a film still on them, there was more than just brake dust on the wheels, some oily road grime. A quick wipe to dry and the wheels were shiny and spotless.

This stuff is $27 here is Canada, I used close to 1/2 a bottle on all 4 wheels....I think I over applied Oh well.

While It did a good job, I don't think the price is worth it as a weekly use item...or even monthly.
Use it to get everything squeaky clean then Hydro2 your wheels. Or use it before you paint your Calipers.

I'll stick to hand washing my lovely Wheels, part of the joy.
Attached Images

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Good review

That is expensive up there. But you only have to use it twice a year to get off the brake dust. The rest of the time you can use something like a general wheel cleaner that you can pick up your auto parts store ....the decontamination of iron, only needs to be done twice a year. I use $25 a gallon duragloss wheel cleaner monthly. It leaves the hydro alone. A gallon is more than enough for a year or two.

Also it does no good to take all this off then not put on some protective coating. You want to get something between a fresh Virgin wheel and the brake dust.... Then the brake dust just sits on top of the protectant and can be washed off easily without sonax....in my case it's Hydro2 silica. You can choose your own protectant, wheel wax, etc.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
stars_fan
Nerd

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Adam's is a great alternative. They have a deal right now with a wheel brush and a gallon of cleaner for 79.99
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...el-bundle.html

I use this stuff about once every other wash and it looks like I will get a year usage out of the gallon jug.

A bonus is that the Adam's has less of the rotten egg smell than the Sonax.