Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 05-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
Time for intervention?

So, after 27 years of wait.. and finally having the money to buy it.. I bought my first car.. a car like no other.. a car which is miles ahead of its competitor.. a car that made me fall in love the moment I fired the engine for the first time..a car whose exhaust gives me small orgasms every time it roars.... you can sense the amount of attachment I have for this car. Its crazy.. probably it will die down at some point.. but currently its crazy...

With that said.. the first problem with this is.. the fact that I want to keep the car shining and dust free always.. like I cant mentally accept the fact that there is a grease stain somewhere.. or dust has collected on the car since the last time I washed my car.. i cant handle seeing brake dust on wheel.. the obsession of keeping the car clean and shining has gone so high.. i keep my products in the boot..esp the MF and waffle weave towels.. and the moment I get a chance..I do the rinseless wash. The feeling of seeing the car after a rinseless wash.. is just too good.. but lets be real..I cant keep the dust away .. and thats natural. However, that obsession of making sure no dust settles and keeping it shiny it is crazy.. I even bought a cover for the car.. just to make sure dust or stains dont get in the way... but kmon the moment I take the car out for a drive.. its not going to be the same shiny car after the wash..

I mean the feeling of driving around in a car that shines and makes everyone take notice of your car.. is just amazing.. a bit of show off I would say.. but its coming at the cost of me spending lots of time cleaning it.. probably every week. Glens rinseless wash is a blessing in disguise.. because I cant imagine doing the whole wash every single week. So thank you Glen. But that still consumes time at the end of the day.. even if its just about 30 -45 mins.. I dont mind putting in that amount.. but what I am trying to say here or ask you guys is ... am I the only one obsessed with keepng the car shiny and dust free?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
This too shall pass.....let it stay a BIT dirty, touching your paint, even lubricated with water or rinseless, can mar the paint long term.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Hahaha, you sound just like me. I bought my car almost a month ago, I can't even count how many times I've washed it. I wash it at least twice a week, not including the rinseless washes. It's only now getting warm out, when I first bought my car, the following weeks it was in the 30s most of the time. I was still out there washing my car. I had to wear snow pants as a wind & water barrier, I also had to wear gloves because my water attachments come loose and soak my hands. My hands were beet red and in pain from the cold.

I fill my buckets in my tub because I couldn't use the cold water from the tap outside. All four of them. I hauled my hose inside to my basement because the water was frozen solid in the thing. I made a trip out to Walmart one day to buy another hose because I was impatient and had stuff to do, but after I washed my car once more.

I hate, HATE, the brake dust on my SS. I had no issues keeping my 2011 2LT with 19" 5 spoke rims clean, but those pads did not dust AT ALL. These are horrible, but I think I got my technique down.

Yesterday there was a small car show/get together in a town 80 miles away. I spent three hours getting my car cleaned and packing almost all my gear including two buckets for a rinseless wash. I hit a ton of bugs on my way there. I did a rinseless wash on the problem areas from the travel. People were asking me all sorts of questions about that and the car, it was great. I spent a few hours there, got home, decided to throw all my stuff in the wash to get ready for 2nd full wash of the day. So yesterday I did two bucket wash twice, and a partial rinseless wash. What a day! I am so sore. lol

You are not alone.

Now I need to figure out the best and most effective way to clean my wheels onsite at a car show. I can handle the paint with a rinseless two buckets, however I don't know how I should and could tackle the brake dust safely without water, in the sun with warm wheels. Any suggestions anyone?

My setup from the other day.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
Glen e

Brake dust: try rinseless in a spray bottle or garden sprayer....

But get wheels hydro2 coated, then a rinekess is much easier for shows.....
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...al-wheels.html
Old 05-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Brake dust: try rinseless in a spray bottle or garden sprayer....

But get wheels hydro2 coated, then a rinekess is much easier for shows.....
I do have rinseless in a spray bottle, I may use that. But I do I need to coat the wheels for sure. That brake dust just loves to stick to them unless I use wheel cleaner. Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
I do have rinseless in a spray bottle, I may use that. But I do I need to coat the wheels for sure. That brake dust just loves to stick to them unless I use wheel cleaner. Thanks for the tips!
Yeah, until you put a barrier between the wheel paint and the dust, it'll always be a bitch to clean them.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I use rinseless mixed up as a detailer mix in a spray bottle with MF towel to clean the wheels/brake dust. I can do all 4 wheels in 10 mins, it is a pain but 10 mins is not a lot of time and keeps the wheels clean.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
bhavyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
This too shall pass.....let it stay a BIT dirty, touching your paint, even lubricated with water or rinseless, can mar the paint long term.
I get what you are saying.. and as you said.. it shall pass.. but didnt know the continuous rinseless can cause an issue in the long run... probably that will help me slow down...
Old 05-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
I heard about a trick with a certain kind of Pledge that repels break dust...haven't tried it yet through.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #10
bhavyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
Hahaha, you sound just like me. I bought my car almost a month ago, I can't even count how many times I've washed it. I wash it at least twice a week, not including the rinseless washes. It's only now getting warm out, when I first bought my car, the following weeks it was in the 30s most of the time. I was still out there washing my car. I had to wear snow pants as a wind & water barrier, I also had to wear gloves because my water attachments come loose and soak my hands. My hands were beet red and in pain from the cold.

I fill my buckets in my tub because I couldn't use the cold water from the tap outside. All four of them. I hauled my hose inside to my basement because the water was frozen solid in the thing. I made a trip out to Walmart one day to buy another hose because I was impatient and had stuff to do, but after I washed my car once more.

I hate, HATE, the brake dust on my SS. I had no issues keeping my 2011 2LT with 19" 5 spoke rims clean, but those pads did not dust AT ALL. These are horrible, but I think I got my technique down.

Yesterday there was a small car show/get together in a town 80 miles away. I spent three hours getting my car cleaned and packing almost all my gear including two buckets for a rinseless wash. I hit a ton of bugs on my way there. I did a rinseless wash on the problem areas from the travel. People were asking me all sorts of questions about that and the car, it was great. I spent a few hours there, got home, decided to throw all my stuff in the wash to get ready for 2nd full wash of the day. So yesterday I did two bucket wash twice, and a partial rinseless wash. What a day! I am so sore. lol

You are not alone.

Now I need to figure out the best and most effective way to clean my wheels onsite at a car show. I can handle the paint with a rinseless two buckets, however I don't know how I should and could tackle the brake dust safely without water, in the sun with warm wheels. Any suggestions anyone?

My setup from the other day.

Glad to know I am not the only one.. just looking at your pictures from the car show..makes me believe.. that the time you spent was well worth it.. but as you noticed as well.. your body is sore...hahaha

I have same issue.. I do the same sort of cleaning on my wifes car.. and thats taking a toll.. My friends already have joke in our circle.. where they ask me ..what are your plans for the weekend..(pause).. apart from perfecting your car... God help me ...hahah
Old 05-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
Glen e

another solid product to protect wheels - not as easy as hydro2 but an excellent spray on silica wipe off:

http://www.detailing.com/store/tac-s...ax-500-ml.html
Old 05-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
I have the same problem. I do a waterless wash after every drive. I don't drive my car everyday and it only takes about 15 minutes to do. I also dont drive it when its wet out. I have only washed it with a hose once, It was the first wash.

I first LIGHTLY dust it with a california duster.(everyone says not to use a duster but I find using it very lightly doesn't seem to leave any swirls and makes all the dust on the back from driving basically disappear.) Then I use some watered down Adam's rinseless to wipe down the car. Getting any tar, leftover dust and bugs.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #13
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
You are not alone at all.......I too Waterless Wash my GTO after every drive.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...-car-wash.html
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
mgwarlock
Nightfall Gray Blackout

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
So obsessed on cleaning now that I basically on my way to be have a collection of every single wax, clay, sealer, bucket, towel, MF, spray, detailer, etc.

Ever time I see a new product that I do not know off that will clean the car, I buy it.

Glen-- got to stop sending link to a product, I will go broke. Lol

OCD....my god I have to stop.
mgwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote