Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-29-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
Smithr66

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Removing scratches with ultimate compound

After I bought my Camaro I went a little overboard with detailing products. Two of the products I purchased were meguiars ultimate compound and the DA power system that is used with a drill. I have never had very good luck with removing scratches until I used these two products together. There were multiple scratches from the half ass detail the dealer gave my car before delivery and a couple of clearcoat blemishes that appeared to be from the factory. Meguiars ultimate compound actually worked in removing all blemishes I had in the paint. Make sure to use a drill capable of at least 2000 rpm's for the DA system and don't worry about burning the paint. This product is very safe to use by amateur detailers like myself. If you haven't used the ultimate compound before I strongly recommend checking it out! It really works!
Smithr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Illmaticz

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1-1LE
I've had the same issues with my car, I was planning on getting it detailed and apply opti coat. I've been using Meguiars ultimate compound on my daily beater and personally I don't see any results but then again I am not a professional so I don't know all the tricks. If you can post some before and after pictures that will be great.
Illmaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
It'll take more than ultimate compound to get deep scratches out of the car. Clearcoat is hard, therefore it does not scratch easily, but when it does, it's hard to clean up. It will take a good orbital, a medium pad, and two polishes from Meguires: 105 and then 205
Here are Meg products ,the left is the most abrasive, the right the least ...

Last edited by Glen e; 04-01-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
Smithr66

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
I used the DA system that connects to a power drill. The drill was capable of 2000 rpm which is slow but seemed to be enough to get the job done. The scratches were minor. Wish I would have taken pics but ran out of day light. I will get some pics next time. I find surface scratches on my car all the time.
Smithr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
M4dne55

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithr66 View Post
After I bought my Camaro I went a little overboard with detailing products. Two of the products I purchased were meguiars ultimate compound and the DA power system that is used with a drill. I have never had very good luck with removing scratches until I used these two products together. There were multiple scratches from the half ass detail the dealer gave my car before delivery and a couple of clearcoat blemishes that appeared to be from the factory. Meguiars ultimate compound actually worked in removing all blemishes I had in the paint. Make sure to use a drill capable of at least 2000 rpm's for the DA system and don't worry about burning the paint. This product is very safe to use by amateur detailers like myself. If you haven't used the ultimate compound before I strongly recommend checking it out! It really works!

Thanks for posting this. I had been thinking about using the Meguiars ultimate compound as well.l and just came across this. Do you think it will not be effective at all if used by hand? I have a cordless 18v drill, will that be sufficient? Not sure what the rpm rating is on it. But I the swirls aren't that bad, just stand out more on a black car. I'm okay with even trying to get those out by hand, one section at a time.

Also, did you use the Meguiars polish or wax after using the compound, to get a better finish it or was wiping off the compound enough?

M4dne55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Glen e

You need to seal after the UC....I really suggest getting a good random orbital and med pad, it makes the work much more uniform that the drill or by hand. Been using UC for years, great stuff.

Follow with a good sealant like blackfire crystal seal or if you want to stay in the meguires family, Meg's NXT 2.0'works well.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
M4dne55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
You need to seal after the UC....I really suggest getting a good random orbital and med pad, it makes the work much more uniform that the drill or by hand. Been using UC for years, great stuff.

Follow with a good sealant like blackfire crystal seal or if you want to stay in the meguires family, Meg's NXT 2.0'works well.

Ah I see. Would the one Meguiars sells be any good? The other one I found was Torqx. I've seen you talk about Griots as the best one...
But I'll do more research on that. I got the answer I was looking for, thank you sir!

Old 04-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #8
Glen e

The new meguires polisher is a good one.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #9
M4dne55

Quote:
The new meguires polisher is a good one.

Ok thanks!

Old 04-26-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
Glen e

But its 40 bucks more than the griots for no good reason.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
M4dne55

Quote:
But its 40 bucks more than the griots for no good reason.
just checked it out, it is $204 on Amazon vs Griots for $140. That's a pretty big difference. I might go with Griots then.

Would it be a good idea to use a nanoskin sponge first and a wash before using the compound? then sealing with BF as you had said

Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
Glen e

Yeah, just read the docs in my sig...FOR THE EXACT STEPS THAT INSURE SUCCESS....
Old 04-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #13
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Yeah, just read the docs in my sig...FOR THE EXACT STEPS THAT INSURE SUCCESS....
I second this, Glen has been a non stop information source for us! I feel like I am following him around like a little child just absorbing everything he has to say!
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote