Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 05-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
stratt

Drives: Waiting on my 2016 Camaro 2SS
CarPro Denim Pads (orange peel correction pads)

Here is a follow up from my previous post. I used these with my Griots DA with Meguiars 105. The following picture was with three passes. I did the fender and not the door.

Didn't remove all of the orange peel, but it does take a bit out.
stratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Nice...be careful.......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
stratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Nice
You were right about it taking a bit of time to do it. I do want to learn how to properly wet sand, but not on my car. Lol
Old 05-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratt View Post
You were right about it taking a bit of time to do it. I do want to learn how to properly wet sand, but not on my car. Lol
I used the velvet pad… So it took much longer… And I had far worse orange peel…so i wetsanded..... Looks good…105/205 is a killer combo.....i'm happy with the Camaro paint so I won't do it on this car.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
stratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I used the velvet pad… So it took much longer… And I had far worse orange peel…so i wetsanded..... Looks good…105/205 is a killer combo.....i'm happy with the Camaro paint so I won't do it on this car.
I have some spots where the orange peel is terrible, especially on the trunk and wing.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
The denim pad is equivalent to 2000 grit sanding paper.

I haven't measured the paint on any of the new Camaro's, the G5's had a healthy coat, 200 microns plus.

If your going to continue on the car, I'd recommend getting a paint thickness gauge.

Even if you don't damage the clear coat using the denim pad, thinning it out too much is not a good thing, as clear coat failure becomes more likely in the future, especially if the car is a daily driver and exposed to the sun.

The base can also have orange peel in it as well, so even if you removed it all from the clear, you may still see some from the base.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #7
stratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
The denim pad is equivalent to 2000 grit sanding paper.

I haven't measured the paint on any of the new Camaro's, the G5's had a healthy coat, 200 microns plus.

If your going to continue on the car, I'd recommend getting a paint thickness gauge.

Even if you don't damage the clear coat using the denim pad, thinning it out too much is not a good thing, as clear coat failure becomes more likely in the future, especially if the car is a daily driver and exposed to the sun.

The base can also have orange peel in it as well, so even if you removed it all from the clear, you may still see some from the base.
Thanks for the heads up.