Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Wiskey

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Paint Life Expectancy

With my last car, (toyota) after about 16 years the clear coat started to separate from the paint. There was really nothing I could do about this which was terrible because it really ruined the look of the car, and a paint job was not worth it because the car is so old.

How long can I expect the paint on my 2016 Camaro to last? Have they fixed the clear coat problems that some dealers had in the mid to late 90's?

Is there anything I can do now other than using Crystal Seal and Aquawax (which I am already doing) to protect the clear coat and avoid this down the road?

Thank you,
Whiskey
Wiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The paint on the Camaro is no different than the paint on the Toyota. There may be a little bit more clear on the toyota but they are the same in makeup. The key to making clear last is keeping it out of UV. A car is going to last longer in Wisconsin that it does in Arizona if they're both kept outside. But with a garage (or cover) and good sealants, and keeping the paint clean with a annual fine polish, clearcoat is good for 10 to 20 years depending on the environment

Search the autogeek detailing forums for more information.....

Last edited by Glen e; 05-04-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
^ If I'm not mistaken polishing also replenishes oils into the clear which can also prolong life.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
The bottom line is KEEP IT OUTTA THE SUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that's not possible, Love it EVERY Day, Wash,wax,polish and cover as much as You can!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I never had a problem with paint on any of my cars. Keep them clean, detailed (waxed, polished) and covered or garaged and you will be fine. Ceramic coatings and clear bras help even more....I just sold my '88 IROC-Z, it was clear coated, and maintained and it looked as good when I sold it as the day I bought it.

As for the mention that a "clear coat is good for 10-20 years depending on the environment", I don't agree necessary. If you maintain it properly a clear coat doesn't have a shelf life in my opinion. I've proven that wrong personally...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #6
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
My dads last two cars had major issues with the clear coat coming off, however I'm pretty sure when he did wash his car (probably years ago honestly) he probably did it wrong, as in using dish detergents most likely.

His car stays outside too but I'm betting improper care was the biggest culprit as it started coming off only after about 5 years. My truck is similar in age but I maintain it pretty well (definitely more so early on but still decent), even though I haven't waxed it in a few years but the paint is great (2004 Chevy).

I'm sure some clear coat problems can be attributed to a life expectancy of the clear coat itself or maybe even manufacturing flaws but I think most of it on any car made in the last 20 years is probably due to improper care of the finish. It seems like you're taking proper procedures to help preserve the finish of your Camaro, so just keep doing that and you should be fine for a long, long time.
SDG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG23 View Post
My dads last two cars had major issues with the clear coat coming off, however I'm pretty sure when he did wash his car (probably years ago honestly) he probably did it wrong, as in using dish detergents most likely.
Dish detergents are wrong? Many here follow Glen's advice of using dawn
Old 05-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #8
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capisce View Post
Dish detergents are wrong? Many here follow Glen's advice of using dawn
You only use dawn ONCE. That's to strip the car of silicones to start the process. It should NEVER be used as a normal maintenance car wash. Read the docs closer. This is how the Internet creates mistakes.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #9
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
You only use dawn ONCE. That's to strip the car of silicones to start the process. It should NEVER be used as a normal maintenance car wash. Read the docs closer. This is how the Internet creates mistakes.
I know it's only once. Or maybe once a year before you re-polish. I wanted to learn more about the damage it can cause
Old 05-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
Glen e

Dawn won't hurt a thing. But if you get paranoid, use Chemical guys citrus wash, it's also a great stripper.