Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #15
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
My car is at the dealer for this now. They initially said a few hours.....now it is a few days as they say they have to drop the rear subframe!

Holy crap! That sounds way more serious than described. The first Service Advisor I talked to said the replacement was listed as a 3.8 hour job - no way the dealership is going to break even if they have to disassemble that much.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:21 AM   #16
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzoom View Post
I got the notice a few days ago. I’m taking it in next week for an oil change so I’ll see what they say.
Hey, you're in Austin too! Did I see your car at North Lamar and Braker Sunday evening, maybe around 7:30 or 8?

Anyway, I took my car to Autonation Chevrolet on 183 this morning for my "appointment," and the guy told me they had to order parts, so I'd have to come back once they come in, and they'd give me a call when that happens. It isn't clear to me why I had to set up an appointment just to have them tell me this, but they were at least nice about it. My advice would be to ask to speak to the service writer when you call, so they can handle this over the phone.

I really hope they don't have to take the subframe out of the car. I have nightmares about steering wheels that are off center, and my car is SO perfect right now. I'd hate for them to do that, and then half-ass the inevitable alignment.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #17
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
…It isn't clear to me why I had to set up an appointment just to have them tell me this, but they were at least nice about it. My advice would be to ask to speak to the service writer when you call, so they can handle this over the phone….
I’m going to guess that they needed to see if your current half shaft falls within the population of the ones they need to replace. It’s just as important that they check off the cars that are not in the population as it is to find the ones that are. If the replacement half shafts are in short supply, dealers won’t be able to stock them. They’ll actually have to include the vin of the vehicle being addressed in order to receive one. That’s the way it worked when I was involved in similar voluntary recalls for transmission components.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #18
pzoom

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE SHOCK
Quote:
Hey, you're in Austin too! Did I see your car at North Lamar and Braker Sunday evening, maybe around 7:30 or 8?
Nope not me, but I've seen a shock non-ss and a ZL1 in Austin. Thanks for heads up about the half shaft, I think I'll wait for the fix.
pzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #19
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I’m going to guess that they needed to see if your current half shaft falls within the population of the ones they need to replace. It’s just as important that they check off the cars that are not in the population as it is to find the ones that are. If the replacement half shafts are in short supply, dealers won’t be able to stock them. They’ll actually have to include the vin of the vehicle being addressed in order to receive one. That’s the way it worked when I was involved in similar voluntary recalls for transmission components.
They didn't even look at the car, though.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #20
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
They didn't even look at the car, though.
Really…then I got nuthin’.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote