Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Who has experienced an oil pump failure?
2016 or earlier 16 18.60%
2017 33 38.37%
2018 35 40.70%
2019 2 2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #785
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 - M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Itís not a true bumper-to-bumper but about as close as youíre going to get. I think it excludes interior trim and some little things. Itís the platinum plan.
Can be used at any dealer in the us. This is who I used.
Peyton Farnsworth
Extended Warranty Sales
406-896-3080
Hey Pauly,
Would you be open to sharing what you shelled out for the 4 year extension? Also, is it 4 years / 48,000 (additional) miles?

Thanks brother..

She Is, undoubtably, The ZL-One...

SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #786
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE'Z 18 View Post
Hey Pauly,
Would you be open to sharing what you shelled out for the 4 year extension? Also, is it 4 years / 48,000 (additional) miles?

Thanks brother..
Yes Ill message you.
pauly1119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:30 PM   #787
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Itís not a true bumper-to-bumper but about as close as youíre going to get. I think it excludes interior trim and some little things. Itís the platinum plan.

Can be used at any dealer in the us. This is who I used.

Peyton Farnsworth

Extended Warranty Sales

406-896-3080
Thanks. I will look into it. Also as above. PM on the cost you incur. Just want to know what to expect if that's ok with you

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2021, 10:37 PM   #788
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
I saw someone posted on here had 12,xxx miles and failed.

My ZL1 search stays in 19-up, but I find myself going to '18s as well. Is the oil pump issue likely a case of not IF it fails, but WHEN it fails? What if we don't kill it in time and end up with internal damage?
I want to say that it is a if it fails thing. Otherwise, wouldn't this be a more widely known issue? But then who knows if the problem is the pump manufacturing, then one would say all the pump from that manufacturer are bound to be damaged eventually.

This is something I totally ignored, i had a 2018 ZLE and still traded into a 2018 ZL1. Should I have waited to find a 2019 or up? Probably.. but oh well risks one take.. my biggest fear is it breaking far away from home on a road trip and having to take the car to a unknown mechanic.

I suppose i will continue to watch my oil pressure... I was driving my corvette GS the other day and I almost had a heart attack because I forgot which car i was driving and the oil pressure was high...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2021, 05:04 PM   #789
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Haven't posted on this forum in forever. This was the second GM vehicle I have ever owned. I have a '14 CTSV coupe , heavily modded, never an issue

My ZL1 has had issue after issue
-Convertible top window peeling away and falling apart after 6 months
- convertible folding mechanism broke, needed re[placement
- generator (alternator) failed needed replacement
- A/C failed, needed replacement
- A/C belt snapped needed replacement
- bracing under vehicle began to clank and rattle, needed replacement
- OIL PUMP FAILURE

Oil pump failed 11/2020 .. car has been inoperable for 8 months now... pandemic made it even more difficult ... it is sitting at my custom shop on the rack
- currently have a lawyer, and suing GM for vehicle buyback

None of the issues above are due to mods, it was just a poorly built vehicle.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #790
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Odd issues
Old 07-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #791
Chutzpah

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Convertible
The Convertible top issues are common, especially on the earlier models. The bracing, not much can go wrong, other than a loose bolt or possibly a weld where the x-crosses
…certainly not a common issue. As for the a/c and alternator… well, as much as you want to say the mods didn’t cause your issues, who really knows? You’ve modded your car, and as far as the manufacturer is concerned, end of story, including the oil pump issue. You clearly make a good buck and can’t possibly be unintelligent, so I’m fascinated that you’re actually trying to sue GM for a buyback on a 2017 car. As well, a car “with mods”. What am I missing here… Seriously, please tell me?
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #792
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Oil pump should be covered under powertrain warranty, suing for a vehicle buyback is a complete waste of time and money - will never go anywhere

Supposedly Katech was going to put together a video on why the pumps fail, guess that isn't going to happen. Someone (preferably a customer) needs to bug them
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:19 PM   #793
Future1LEa10

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1LE
Ugh. This is scary. Just got my new to me 2018 ZL1 with 600 miles. Drove it home 800 miles. Now its up to 1600 miles. Build date is 11/17. It never had an oil change before I got it. Just had it changed at the dealer yesterday at 1550miles. Put in the factory fill 5w30.

I planned on ripping this beast but this makes me scared. Big time.
Future1LEa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:31 PM   #794
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future1LEa10 View Post
Ugh. This is scary. Just got my new to me 2018 ZL1 with 600 miles. Drove it home 800 miles. Now its up to 1600 miles. Build date is 11/17. It never had an oil change before I got it. Just had it changed at the dealer yesterday at 1550miles. Put in the factory fill 5w30.

So this is my take. First off, the motor is under warranty through 2023, so you shouldn't be afraid to just rip on it. If the pump fails it will be replaced. Second, and this is where I will get blasted but let's talk numbers. So far there's been what, 35 reported failures (or something close to that) on this forum for 2018s. I don't know how many ZL1 drivers are on this forum, but there are over 6100 2018s running around, obviously not all on this forum. We don't know the true percentage, but I have a suspicion that it's actually not that high, nobody really knows. GM to my knowledge has not acknowledged any issues with oil pumps (I'm very aware of Z06 cooling issues that went unacknowledged). My point, I wouldn't spend one second worrying about it. Go rip on the car like it's supposed to and like I said, if on the rare chance the pump fails, take it to the dealer to be replaced at no cost. After 2023 spend the $ and buy a Katech pump and all is good! I have a 2018 and I floor it when the road allows! I don't worry one second about the oil pump.
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:46 PM   #795
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
So far there's been what, 35 reported failures (or something close to that) on this forum for 2018s. I don't know how many ZL1 drivers are on this forum, but there are over 6100 2018s running around, obviously not all on this forum. We don't know the true percentage, but I have a suspicion that it's actually not that high, nobody really knows.
You have to balance this with the fact that most ZL1s are garage queens with very low miles. It takes time for the oil pump to form stress cracks and fail. For '17s and 18's it seems to be more of "when" not "if" - it may be 30k+ miles in some cases. I might add warming up the oil/engine completely before you get on it is always a good idea, and that takes longer than coolant temps of course.

Quote:
GM to my knowledge has not acknowledged any issues with oil pumps
Means nothing - they don't want to invite a class action lawsuit if they don't recall every car from years affected

Quote:
I'm very aware of Z06 cooling issues that went unacknowledged
That was mainly a track issue and it won't destroy your engine! Apples and oranges
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #796
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1, 2019 SLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future1LEa10 View Post

We have similar cars, both 2018 and 11/17 build dates. I had 4145 when I bought it a few weeks ago and now have 5400. I also was very concerned when buying one since I saw this prior, only looked at '19-up ones. An '18 popped up, a great deal I couldn't pass it up so purchased it knowing the drivetrain would be good for 5yrs if it did happen. I'll be testing it for you, lol.

While I am concerned about it, especially being stuck on the side of the road with my family with no AC, I give myself a 50/50 shot if it does. I am daily driving mine, so I will should find out something either way before 2023.

For what it's worth, I had a '14 Audi S7. The 13/14 S6/S7 had turbo issues, about $5k issue if out of warranty (which I was) and had it done by an indy shop. FYI was likely due to the oil screen being too fine and clogging. No one had engine damage, just had to replace turbos. Audi would never admit being at fault, but they had something like 7 oil screen revisions so that kind of proves they knew of the issue. Just crossed my fingers. I got rid of it at 90k and no turbo issue. The PCV died few months before I got rid of it so got to inspect the impeller shaft play and it was fine on my car. One thing to add is when I bought the Audi, no one was talking about the PCV going out prematurely. People were having them die around 50k when I finally read stuff about it. Mine made it further than that, but was still a $2200 job to replace.

After the Audi thing and not having warranty with potential known issues, one thing I did get on the ZL1 was an extended warranty. oil pump would be replaced regardless of that, but makes me feel better for the next 75k miles in general.
2018 Camaro ZL1 - Black
- OEM Options: Exposed Carbon, PVR, Nav, No Sunroof
- GM Dark Tails + Lightly Tinted, DD Smoked Side Markers, Morimoto 5000k, 100% LED
- Carbon Air Inductions CAI, 5/3mm Spacers, AeroForce Interceptor, Black GT4 Tow Hook
- ZL1 Emblems Painted NGM, Black "1" Inlay, 50% Headlight Armor, 5% Tint + 50% Windshield
- Carbon Fiber: Radio Trim, Shifter Trim, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #797
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
We have similar cars, both 2018 and 11/17 build dates. I had 4145 when I bought it a few weeks ago and now have 5400. I also was very concerned when buying one since I saw this prior, only looked at '19-up ones. An '18 popped up, a great deal I couldn't pass it up so purchased it knowing the drivetrain would be good for 5yrs if it did happen. I'll be testing it for you, lol.

While I am concerned about it, especially being stuck on the side of the road with my family with no AC, I give myself a 50/50 shot if it does. I am daily driving mine, so I will should find out something either way before 2023.

For what it's worth, I had a '14 Audi S7. The 13/14 S6/S7 had turbo issues, about $5k issue if out of warranty (which I was) and had it done by an indy shop. FYI was likely due to the oil screen being too fine and clogging. No one had engine damage, just had to replace turbos. Audi would never admit being at fault, but they had something like 7 oil screen revisions so that kind of proves they knew of the issue. Just crossed my fingers. I got rid of it at 90k and no turbo issue. The PCV died few months before I got rid of it so got to inspect the impeller shaft play and it was fine on my car. One thing to add is when I bought the Audi, no one was talking about the PCV going out prematurely. People were having them die around 50k when I finally read stuff about it. Mine made it further than that, but was still a $2200 job to replace.

After the Audi thing and not having warranty with potential known issues, one thing I did get on the ZL1 was an extended warranty. oil pump would be replaced regardless of that, but makes me feel better for the next 75k miles in general.
i read all that and all i got out of it was you have an SLC lol...any build thread or pics anywhere? (coming from a replaced voodoo, i get it)

to stay on topic, my updated OEM pump is running just a tad lower PSI than the one i took out. no issues, just another data point.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #798
Chutzpah

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
So this is my take. First off, the motor is under warranty through 2023, so you shouldn't be afraid to just rip on it. If the pump fails it will be replaced. Second, and this is where I will get blasted but let's talk numbers. So far there's been what, 35 reported failures (or something close to that) on this forum for 2018s. I don't know how many ZL1 drivers are on this forum, but there are over 6100 2018s running around, obviously not all on this forum. We don't know the true percentage, but I have a suspicion that it's actually not that high, nobody really knows. GM to my knowledge has not acknowledged any issues with oil pumps (I'm very aware of Z06 cooling issues that went unacknowledged). My point, I wouldn't spend one second worrying about it. Go rip on the car like it's supposed to and like I said, if on the rare chance the pump fails, take it to the dealer to be replaced at no cost. After 2023 spend the $ and buy a Katech pump and all is good! I have a 2018 and I floor it when the road allows! I don't worry one second about the oil pump.
As far as Katech is concerned, they need to prove their design, material(s) or workmanship is superior to the latest and greatest 2019+ GM pumps. A rep from their company stated heíd post up why the original pumps were failing. Since then itís been crickets. If theirs is truly superior, tell us why 2017-2018 pumps failed / whatís different about your pumpsÖ(Katech).
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote