Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 06-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #1
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Thumbs up Wireless Android Auto for 2016/2018MY!

Hi!,
I just wanted to let you know what I have found (and tested) for our Camaro: a new dongle called AAwireless that lets your 2016 to 2018MY MyLink to switch to wireless Android Auto. It's now possible and easy.

I've bought the AAWireless dongle from an Indiegogo project and got it some weeks ago. After some testing, I must say the dongle works quite fine and it's now possible to forget my smartphone in my pocket and have the pleasure of Android Auto directly on the screen, with no need of using any cable.

It's a very very small device that connects to your armrest USB port:

After some weeks of usage, these are the best setup options for AAWireless on MyLink for my 2017MY Camaro:
- update via OTA to firmware 1.4.0
- set the USB mode to Default
- enable Passthrough

Pros:
- easy to setup (it's got a specific control application)
- no cables around
- wireless Android Auto pops up each time you get into the car, automatically
- price (75 USD) is lower than other dongles for Apple CarPlay doing the same thing

Cons:
- battery drain on the smartphone: the wireless dongle ask some power (let's say about 15% on an hour trip, using Spotify and Waze, too).
- on my Samsung Galaxy Z Flip, the phone reaches high working temperatures after a long usage time
- due to microchips shortage, delivery time of the dongle is quite slow at the moment

If you want to know more, see this page:
https://www.cpeb.it

If you want to buy this dongle, go here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
EOS:
  • Thanks for the post - this is awesome news.
  • I've had very mixed results with Car2Play and my iPhone - when it connects, awesome, but it doesn't reliably connect the first time on car start. Especially frustrating when refueling or quickly popping into a store.
  • It's cool that this device is $75 rather than $130 for Car2Play.
  • Good luck with this - wireless Android Auto/Car Play is GREAT when it works.
  • Note: when using Car Play for a long time - I just did some 12-14 hour drives between CA and UT - I put my phone in the wireless charger pad. If yours doesn't work well, you might have to updgrade to the Gen 2 pad. If your phone is too big to fit... shucks... you might start cutting... or admit defeat. =:<

Car2Play for iPhone experience

Upgraded wireless charger pad GM Gen 2 Charger experience
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
LTwin86

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos View Post
Hi!,
I just wanted to let you know what I have found (and tested) for our Camaro: a new dongle called AAwireless that lets your 2016 to 2018MY MyLink to switch to wireless Android Auto. It's now possible and easy.

I've bought the AAWireless dongle from an Indiegogo project and got it some weeks ago. After some testing, I must say the dongle works quite fine and it's now possible to forget my smartphone in my pocket and have the pleasure of Android Auto directly on the screen, with no need of using any cable.

It's a very very small device that connects to your armrest USB port:

After some weeks of usage, these are the best setup options for AAWireless on MyLink for my 2017MY Camaro:
- update via OTA to firmware 1.4.0
- set the USB mode to Default
- enable Passthrough

Pros:
- easy to setup (it's got a specific control application)
- no cables around
- wireless Android Auto pops up each time you get into the car, automatically
- price (75 USD) is lower than other dongles for Apple CarPlay doing the same thing

Cons:
- battery drain on the smartphone: the wireless dongle ask some power (let's say about 15% on an hour trip, using Spotify and Waze, too).
- on my Samsung Galaxy Z Flip, the phone reaches high working temperatures after a long usage time
- due to microchips shortage, delivery time of the dongle is quite slow at the moment

If you want to know more, see this page:
https://www.cpeb.it

If you want to buy this dongle, go here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

See you!!,
Eos
Also waiting for this, how long it takes to connect to AA wireless after car started?
LTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
Eos

Hello Plasar!,

Quote:
I've had very mixed results with Car2Play and my iPhone - when it connects, awesome, but it doesn't reliably connect the first time on car start. Especially frustrating when refueling or quickly popping into a store.
I use CPlay2Air on a different car and different phone (iPhone 11) and they work fine. It only happened once that the system got mad and I had to pair them back..

Quote:
Good luck with this - wireless Android Auto/Car Play is GREAT when it works.
For the moment, I only noticed that my first generation AAwireless dongle is giving me problems or instability issued on the same spots, usually when very close to a very powerful broadcasting tower not too far from home. That said, I am quite satisfied by it, even because the price was quite lower than the Apple based similar dongles, too. It's almost two months now.. and I am 80% satisfied by it.

Quote:
Note: when using Car Play for a long time - I just did some 12-14 hour drives between CA and UT - I put my phone in the wireless charger pad.
No way.. if I'd have to run such long distances, I'd surely go for the "old fashion" USB cable, that will give me peace of mind regarding the "great" wireless charging pad that is fitted on my 2017MY Camaro, too.

See you!!,
Eos
Old 06-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
Eos

Hi LTwin86!!,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTwin86 View Post
Also waiting for this, how long it takes to connect to AA wireless after car started?
It starts looking for the connection when you're operating your door handle, so it takes about 20 seconds after you started the engine and can see the Android Auto logo on the projection icon. Not too long, as you can see.. (the time I usually put in reverse and close the garage door and it's done.

See you!!,
Eos
Old 06-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I also posted my initial impressions about this excellent device a few weeks ago, see here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...2#post11010822

The phone does get hot after extended use, but I have not experienced any side effects due to that.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:46 PM   #7
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
I'm waiting for my AAWireless unit to arrive. Should be in August for me. Can't wait to try it!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:01 AM   #8
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Interested as well.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #9
Plasar

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=arpad_m;11029817]I also posted my initial impressions about this excellent device a few weeks ago, see here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...2#post11010822

Wow, great, detailed review Arpad_M!
Old 07-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #10
Plasar

EOS:
  • Slightly off topic, but are you Italian, living in Milan, and you bought a Chevy Camaro?
  • I think that's awesome and wanted to thank you, as a American, for having the guts to buy an American car in Italy!
  • Where do you get service - is there a car dealership in Italy that supports American brands, like GM, Ford, Chrysler... wait, Chrysler is now Italian!!! Bravo!
  • How much is petrol in Italy? We Californians are now shocked and complaining that it's USD 4.10/gallon for premium (at Costco, cheap, but Cali gas most expensive in US, lower pollution), which is EUR 0.91/liter. Google says Italian petrol (probably regular) is USD 5.96/gallon, or EUR 1.32/liter, or 45% more expensive. I think this is why you have the 4 cylinder, maybe also taxation?
  • Also, I love Italy - I've had a few trips thru Tuscany, Rome, and of course, Milan, a fashion capital of the world. I tried the Milano food specialty - polenta. It was fabulous. As was the gelato - I think I had zucchini gelato.
  • Come visit US/California sometime EOS - I volunteer to give you a Camaro ZL1 convertible tour of San Fran, Golden Gate Bridge, Highway 1, Napa/Sonoma.

Last edited by Plasar; 07-05-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:30 AM   #11
MakCamaro
Makis

I finally received the AAW device but I struggle to get it to connect. More specifically, the AAW device never connects and it keeps blinking green. Then it goes blue, it shows that it's trying to connect as I get a message to follow the instructions on the car screen, but then I get another message on the phone and on the car screen saying that it failed to connect. It goes through the same cycle over and over again with no success. I went through every possible workaround that I found on their website FAQs but the same keeps happening and I cannot get the AAW to connect.

My phone is a Galaxy S22 and I can connect directly to the car via Bluetooth for calls or in order to play music with no issues at all. Also, if I connect the phone to the car through a USB cable, Android Auto works flawlessly.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:38 PM   #12
LTwin86

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
I finally received the AAW device but I struggle to get it to connect. More specifically, the AAW device never connects and it keeps blinking green. Then it goes blue, it shows that it's trying to connect as I get a message to follow the instructions on the car screen, but then I get another message on the phone and on the car screen saying that it failed to connect. It goes through the same cycle over and over again with no success. I went through every possible workaround that I found on their website FAQs but the same keeps happening and I cannot get the AAW to connect.

My phone is a Galaxy S22 and I can connect directly to the car via Bluetooth for calls or in order to play music with no issues at all. Also, if I connect the phone to the car through a USB cable, Android Auto works flawlessly.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
Had the same issues with first connection. Just delete all data AA and cache in app options. Reboot phone and make sure you did all flags like manual ask you to do (wireless connection in AA options). First connection always complicated, but will go smooth after you make AA totally fresh.
LTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:57 PM   #13
MakCamaro
Makis

Thanks. I will try that. Hope it works.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:35 AM   #14
MakCamaro
Makis

Nope... It is impossible to get it to connect. I tried every possible way.

Tags
aawireless, android, androidauto, dongle, wireless