Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions


BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2018, 07:36 AM   #43
motorhead


 
Drives: Love the one you're with
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Downtown Charlie Brown
Posts: 11,650
This thread goes along with what I said in the other thread about the new Challenger Hellcat Redeye. The Camaro ZL1 is so well designed and does everything so well that its kind of numb in a way. The Challenger is basically a 2005 300 with a bigass motor, but its fun because it can scare the hell out of you eventhough it doesnt pull the track numbers or checks all the boxes for what a "mondern" hotrod is supposed to be. I think if you want to combine what a hellcat and ZL1 have to offer into one, then you need to buy a Z06 or ZR1. I had the chance to drive a Z06 at Walkins Glen. Wow! Is all I can think of. People focus too much on numbers and not enough on their butts in the seat. They can be very different results. I would rather have a slower car that invokes some fear instead of a numb feeling car that wins all the numbers games. The numbers really mean nothing on the highway. How I feel while driving means far more. Unless of course you actually do track the car for time which in case it does. I get that. Most owners dont track them though.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #44
Jmueller
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 195
You need to drive the A10 and experience a full throttle 2nd to 3rd gear shift with the windows down. You’ll be writing a check for more than they are asking for at that point.

If you have a visibility issue, your mirrors arnt adjusted properly. The only time I have blind spots is when I’m waiting in the middle of a 4 lane road trying to complete the second half of a left hand turn when there is a median. It’s difficult to see out of the 4 o’clock position of the car.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #45
mblum
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Iowa
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
The manual hellcat will loose to a automatic ZL1 & the Automatic Hellcat will pull on a manual ZL1.
I haven't raced a stock A8 Hellcat yet but have raced a few different stock M6 Hellcats and with the average driver behind the M6 Hellcat I can pull on them between their shifts, with a good driver behind the M6 Hellcat we were dead even, this was at a roll racing even a few weeks ago. Raced between 30-110mph.
mblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #46
Blackdevil77

 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
Lol. Sorry this post has to be a big joke or definitely a trolling attempt. Hellcat auto superior? 😂 The M6 is a Tremec, a world class manual used in many cars. Guarantee it had nothing to do with your bad test driving experience.
He's comparing the GM 8 speed auto found in the Z06 to the ZFauto 8 speed found in the Hellcats. Not the A10 or the manual
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #47
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!
 
Gunkk's Avatar
 
Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmueller View Post
If you have a visibility issue....
... get the A10 Vert and experience the insanity with even more sound and no visibility issues!

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #48
motorhead


 
Drives: Love the one you're with
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Downtown Charlie Brown
Posts: 11,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
... get the A10 Vert and experience the insanity with even more sound and no visibility issues!

Ive only driven a manual Gen6 ZL1 as well. What makes the A10 give you wicked feel more?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #49
hawk02
Coupe Newbie
 
hawk02's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklync7 View Post
Touching on a couple of points referenced above. When I said the Hellcats a8 was superior I was comparing it to the m6 in the Camaro not the a10 which I haven’t driven yet. That being said the zf8 is far superior to the GM a8.

My test drives were both in track mode and valet mode was definitely not a factor lol.

I am looking forward testing the a10 but I always felt like the zl1 deserved a manual, maybe one with closer gear ratio however.
There's the problem. Track mode optimizes throttle sensitivity to make the car smoother coming out of turns. From my own experience, the m6 can feel pretty underwhelming driving in track mode on the street. Go back and drive the car in sport or tour and I think you'll have a different opinion on the performance of the M6.
__________________
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #50
Oil Man
 
Oil Man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 SS (RIP), 2018 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
Go drive the A10 car and be blown away. I came from a modded 2012 ctsv and it's better in all respects.
This.

I went to the dealer 99% ready to buy a M6 ZL1, and came home with an A10 and zero regrets.

Greatest automatic trans I have ever driven, no contest.

Go find someone with an A10 and get a second opinion.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #51
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!
 
Gunkk's Avatar
 
Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,539
650HP Convertible with a warranty is tough to beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Ive only driven a manual Gen6 ZL1 as well. What makes the A10 give you wicked feel more?
The A10 ZL1 vert can launch hard and I mean HARD. No bog whatsoever. The vert has no ELSD, so
just maybe it's the lack of the extra TM that comes with the ELSD that makes it just a little bit better than the coupe. The lightning quick 1-2 shift at WOT is a kick in the kidneys.

In the vert, the roar of the exhaust and whine of the supercharger with the top down is hard to describe. It just has to be experienced. I've driven some hard core hot rod car guys around in the car who were pretty low key types. Every single one of them giggled.

I searched for a good F5/Superformance Cobra for several years until I found this car. Nothing else I could find under $75k comes anywhere close to the same driving experience. I knew it was the car for me in the first 5 minutes. It made me laugh the same way driving a 450+hp 2500lb cobra did, without the headaches they bring and the high probability of death 3 seconds after matting the throttle.

With the ZL1, I get shiny paint, perfectly new everything, cooled seats, more toys, and a factory warranty in a car that gives me smile every time I think about it

My advice to the OP: If the ZL1 doesn't make you smile when you look at it and giggle when you drive it, then don't buy it.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #52
Badmojo
 
Badmojo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2004 Cobra
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 260
The ZL1's performance limits are essentially hidden during a test drive. The car is unbelievably good on a road course. I had similar impressions after test driving two late last year, but I am extremely happy I purchased the car and it is still growing on me after 3600 miles and 5 track days.

Original feedback (and flame fest from forum members ):
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516320

My last track video:


I am a strong advocate of the A10 and the PDR option. The car is awesome. There have only been a couple of owners that regretted their purchase.
__________________
2018 ZL1 A10 (11.2 @ 125 MPH stock)....YOUTUBE......2004 Mystichrome Cobra

Last edited by Badmojo; 07-07-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Badmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #53
motorhead


 
Drives: Love the one you're with
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Downtown Charlie Brown
Posts: 11,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The A10 ZL1 vert can launch hard and I mean HARD. No bog whatsoever. The vert has no ELSD, so
just maybe it's the lack of the extra TM that comes with the ELSD that makes it just a little bit better than the coupe. The lightning quick 1-2 shift at WOT is a kick in the kidneys.

In the vert, the roar of the exhaust and whine of the supercharger with the top down is hard to describe. It just has to be experienced. I've driven some hard core hot rod car guys around in the car who were pretty low key types. Every single one of them giggled.

I searched for a good F5/Superformance Cobra for several years until I found this car. Nothing else I could find under $75k comes anywhere close to the same driving experience. I knew it was the car for me in the first 5 minutes. It made me laugh the same way driving a 450+hp 2500lb cobra did, without the headaches they bring and the high probability of death 3 seconds after matting the throttle.

With the ZL1, I get shiny paint, perfectly new everything, cooled seats, more toys, and a factory warranty in a car that gives me smile every time I think about it

My advice to the OP: If the ZL1 doesn't make you smile when you look at it and giggle when you drive it, then don't buy it.
Thanks for the input. Its amazing we live in a time when an automatic gives a better driving experience than a manual in a performance car.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #54
Brooklync7
 
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
Lol. Sorry this post has to be a big joke or definitely a trolling attempt. Hellcat auto superior? 😂 The M6 is a Tremec, a world class manual used in many cars. Guarantee it had nothing to do with your bad test driving experience.
Ok we’ll first this isn’t a trolling attempt at all. Like I said my previous cars have all been gm six speed manuals aside from CTS-v. Is the m6 a great manual transmission? Yes absolutely! Is it the best transmission for the zl1? Absolutely not! Is the auto in the hellcat one of the best automatics of the market? Yes it is! Is the auto in the hellcat better than the manual in the zl1? Yes it is! Super long gears in a car with this kind of power is not comdusive to getting the most out of the car. Shorter gears with faster shifts = more speed.

Now if you think that the manual transmission in the zl1 is better than the ZF8 in the hellcat your the troll, of greatly misinformed.
Brooklync7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #55
Brooklync7
 
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
He's comparing the GM 8 speed auto found in the Z06 to the ZFauto 8 speed found in the Hellcats. Not the A10 or the manual
Thank you for your post. I was however comparing the manual in zl1 to the zf8 in the hellcat.

I am looking forward to test driving a zl1 with the new 10 speed. Hoping that it blows me away.

As far as the GM 8 speed, I did mention it earlier and thought it was one of the worst autos I’ve ever driven. Also have 0 confidence it the a8 over time given the torque converter issues.
Brooklync7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #56
collinms
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cumming, Georgia
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser2 View Post
Get the A10 then a Tony Mamo throttle body. Done.
This, also green filter seemed to be good.
collinms is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.