Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #57
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
I'm in the same boat as TRZ, If I had one I could try out at an autocross and track day to see if I liked it, I would buy one. But I can't bring myself to spend that money if I'm not going to like it and then try to sell it at a loss. $1300 is a lot to me, like, two sets of autocross tires.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #58
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMotorMagazine View Post
Yes, you select the port. First time I messed with a connection error, I switched usb ports until I found the one that worked, and done. Sometimes people get lucky, plug in and it works, the n next time use a different usb and nothing... not realizing you set the port number and it stays there until you change it. Then you've got to remember to plug in on that port each time.
What’s weird on my laptop is that the DSC Utility program detects and can load firmware onto the DSC but the DSC Tuner cannot find the device. Tried all USB ports and tried different COM settings. Still no luck.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:29 AM   #59
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
alright pals so here is what happened

I was doing some checking of my controller after I noticed some of the data on the Gforce page a little off, from my previous wifi revisions (screenshots, and how the read file appeared in the tuning software). just wanted to make sure I didn't write some messed up commands to the controller.

And I also wanted to mess with the cable connection for the first time. So I plugged her in, established comms, and began to read from the box, but only one page at a time. Specifically the Gforce page because that the info I wanted to verify to be ok..

Well, I got some very bizarre readings on the my tuner software.. This was late in the day but I managed to get a hold of someone there (not one of the engineers) and ask for help.

He asked what I was doing and why, I explained..
When I told him I was reading one page at a time, he said to cut that out, and to only do "Read All" or "Write All", never one page at a time, OR I can burn a board and then I'll be buying a new one...
I'm like what? So I asked him if there is anything else I need to know about that will fry my newly purchased not so cheap controller.. He said no, thats it..

I am now baffled... why does the tuner allow you to read/write onr page at a time when you are not supposed to.. better yet, where is it written that I can kill my controller by doing just that...?
Anyway, I got a good reading, all seemed well, then I tried to do some data recording..

One thing I left out, the controller was in the car and the car was running, BUT I was not writing anything to the controller and wan't planning to write anything otherwise I would have turned the car off...

Anyway, going back to what I was saying, I tried to do some data recording and then I lost comms.. Not only that, the controller shut down and check suspension light came on...
I shut off the car, unplugged the controller, plugged it back in, started the car... seemed ok, no light on the dash.. Tried to establish comms and do anything like read or data, and it shut off again, the whole thing.. Dash light and all... Tried a few more times...
DSC was already closed, so I couldn't call them..

So now I'm thinking what happened is exactly what he told me would happen.. I fried the controller...
I stopped trying to connect, unplugged the controller from the car, plugged it back in, started the car and everything seemed ok after a test drive... but I stopped trying to connect.

Came home later, and was able to connect through wifi, and do a quick read... so I came to the conclusion that at least the wifi part is still working (even though they don't want you using it)

Sunday night I removed the controller, connected to my computer and tried to do a full read... it worked!... both read all and write all worked.. put the controller back in the car...

I have not tried to establish com with the controller, while it is in the car since... no time and a little worried actually. I did not have time to call DSC today

needless to say all this is making me uneasy and still not sure if I hurt something permanently
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #60
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
On the V4, I would hold judgment if someone offered a free 7 day trial to test on various streets. If I was sold after 7 days, I would buy it.

But it would need to be dialed in from the get go and not something I would have to play with. I want a true plug and play and measurable damping improvements results.
TRZ06, I can appreciate your request, would be very convenient if there was a set it and forget it option. Nobody makes preset adjustable shocks, dialed in from the get go, that never require an adjustment, so I don't know how that's attainable in a controller, until we can make one that reads minds. Hopefully you'll find a friend that has a car like yours, with a DSC controller, so you two can swap cars and compare.
MadMotorMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #61
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
alright pals so here is what happened

I was doing some checking of my controller after I noticed some of the data on the Gforce page a little off, from my previous wifi revisions (screenshots, and how the read file appeared in the tuning software). just wanted to make sure I didn't write some messed up commands to the controller.

And I also wanted to mess with the cable connection for the first time. So I plugged her in, established comms, and began to read from the box, but only one page at a time. Specifically the Gforce page because that the info I wanted to verify to be ok..

Well, I got some very bizarre readings on the my tuner software.. This was late in the day but I managed to get a hold of someone there (not one of the engineers) and ask for help.

He asked what I was doing and why, I explained..
When I told him I was reading one page at a time, he said to cut that out, and to only do "Read All" or "Write All", never one page at a time, OR I can burn a board and then I'll be buying a new one...
I'm like what? So I asked him if there is anything else I need to know about that will fry my newly purchased not so cheap controller.. He said no, thats it..

I am now baffled... why does the tuner allow you to read/write onr page at a time when you are not supposed to.. better yet, where is it written that I can kill my controller by doing just that...?
Anyway, I got a good reading, all seemed well, then I tried to do some data recording..

One thing I left out, the controller was in the car and the car was running, BUT I was not writing anything to the controller and wan't planning to write anything otherwise I would have turned the car off...

Anyway, going back to what I was saying, I tried to do some data recording and then I lost comms.. Not only that, the controller shut down and check suspension light came on...
I shut off the car, unplugged the controller, plugged it back in, started the car... seemed ok, no light on the dash.. Tried to establish comms and do anything like read or data, and it shut off again, the whole thing.. Dash light and all... Tried a few more times...
DSC was already closed, so I couldn't call them..

So now I'm thinking what happened is exactly what he told me would happen.. I fried the controller...
I stopped trying to connect, unplugged the controller from the car, plugged it back in, started the car and everything seemed ok after a test drive... but I stopped trying to connect.

Came home later, and was able to connect through wifi, and do a quick read... so I came to the conclusion that at least the wifi part is still working (even though they don't want you using it)

Sunday night I removed the controller, connected to my computer and tried to do a full read... it worked!... both read all and write all worked.. put the controller back in the car...

I have not tried to establish com with the controller, while it is in the car since... no time and a little worried actually. I did not have time to call DSC today

needless to say all this is making me uneasy and still not sure if I hurt something permanently
Tuning University videos take you through basic operations, recording data, and making adjustments, so it's best to stick with following those instructions. DSC software will allow you to do all kinds of things you shouldn't, just like HP Tuners or any other engine tune calibration software will do.

If you don't know for sure what the outcome will be, don't do it. Some access is intended for advanced users, generally those with knowledge at a suspension engineer level. It's not advisable to go poking around, hoping no damage will occur to an electronic device that can be powered from car, USB connection, or both at the same time.

When car's acc power is "ON" and computer is plugged in, controller is getting power from each source, so there are limited times you should have computer connected and power on, or it freak the CAN/bus system, and all those nastygrams start appearing on your dash. Best to watch video on recording data.

It's the nature of beast when it comes to CAN/bus, and number one reason I'd like suspension controller calibration set up like engine ECU tuning, where people pay to have calibrations changed, and firmware updated, by trained, qualified, suspension calibration techs. My hope is to modify software, with a limited access version, so only most important features can be adjusted, which would be a failsafe on its own.

Buying a controller is like getting a pre-calibrated ECU that comes with HP Tuners. DSC software is not something that's mastered by watching a few videos, but like HP Tuners, you can watch a video, and go step by step to change something like tire height, idle speed, and other simple things, that are much less complicated that building and populating fuel tables.

Many underestimate the capability of DSC Sport's tuning software, there are millions of combinations that can be made, especially considering each shock is it's own entity. Why does it have to have so many tuning possibilities? Because it's designed to have all tools necessary to control a wide variety of adjustments for a range of vehicles, and types of driving/racing, just like engine tuning software.

Creating software is extremely expensive, but I think we can revise current version, to exclude features most don't use, or give access to things that can jeopardize device accidentally, by untrained user.

I keep calibration tuning very simple, because I'm not an engineer, and would muck a calibration up if I tried to play with things I don't understand completely. As I said, if you don't know for sure what's going to happen when you do something, don't do it. I'd never open up HP Tuners, and experiment with things at random, to see how it works.

When it comes to CAN/bus nastygrams, you haven't done anything I haven't done! Many many phone conversations with owner, designer and engineer of these controllers, about the stupid stuff I've done, even after watching videos and knowing better! Easy to have a brain fart and skip a step. The guys who make themselves handy dandy, step by step cheat sheets, and follow them each time, never have problems like I do, especially when brain is running on fumes.

DSC software has multiple tuning tables and areas of adjustment, just like HP Tuners, and look how dedicated someone has to be in mastering that software! It's not just about understanding what value does what, and why, but how to apply it to a wide variety of conditions and circumstances.

Make an engine tuning error and results can be catastrophic, but we still want a good tune. At least with DSC Sport, worst loss seems to be minor in comparison. If one of the few no-no's is done while connected to a DSC controller, it can potentially do harm to the unit, but you may be right, probably better to make it abundantly clear with a danger-danger warning in videos, and spell out what all can go wrong if steps aren't followed, instead of the mild warnings currently used.

Other choice is to lock it, or limit access, but interaction with customers like you, gives DSC perspective on what to do, with regard to software, for the benefit of customers. Hope this was helpful information, just remember, keep it simple, you own a powerful tuning tool.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #62
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
What’s weird on my laptop is that the DSC Utility program detects and can load firmware onto the DSC but the DSC Tuner cannot find the device. Tried all USB ports and tried different COM settings. Still no luck.
Restart your laptop off then reopen software, and try to coordinate those port settings. Once you establish and remember the port, you've got it. I'd have to ask software engineer why you've got to coordinate that instead of it automatically finding and connecting on any port. I know it was explained to me at one time, but I've slept since then! Main thing is you establish a connection by making sure computer port settings, and controller software port settings jive. Be sure to watch Tuning Academy videos, but call tomorrow if you're still having trouble, and someone can walk you through it.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #63
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMotorMagazine View Post
Restart your laptop off then reopen software, and try to coordinate those port settings. Once you establish and remember the port, you've got it. I'd have to ask software engineer why you've got to coordinate that instead of it automatically finding and connecting on any port. I know it was explained to me at one time, but I've slept since then! Main thing is you establish a connection by making sure computer port settings, and controller software port settings jive. Be sure to watch Tuning Academy videos, but call tomorrow if you're still having trouble, and someone can walk you through it.
Thank you, will try that!

I've been making sure the port settings and software port settings are the same but like I said...the utility will work, but not the Tuner software!

Will give them a call tomorrow, I really want to make sure I have the latest software loaded. I've noticed that the PTM table is blank and that worries me.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #64
shinbone

Drives: 2017 SS CONVERTIBLE
In for updates! I'd love to learn more about this controller.
shinbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #65
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
I'm in the same boat as TRZ, If I had one I could try out at an autocross and track day to see if I liked it, I would buy one. But I can't bring myself to spend that money if I'm not going to like it and then try to sell it at a loss. $1300 is a lot to me, like, two sets of autocross tires.
Scargoes, sorry to say we don't have a try it before you buy it program, and I don't know any manufactures who offer programs like that either.

Hopefully I can get out more to local autocross events, and let other Camaro owners co-drive or make a fun run in the DSC Sport Camaro. The controller works, no doubt about it. DSC Sport Camaro had a 1st place finish in CAM C on OEM Goodyears, not long after the V3 was available, and using the same calibration you can download today.

V4 gives you ACTIVE control and adjustability. I haven't come across anyone who's conducted a legitimate comparison, using DSC's standard calibration, without showing an improvement. If the OEM MRC shocks and calibration isn't cutting it for you, DSC can improve performance for a lot less that a full set of mechanical coil-overs, and without the rough ride you're likely to get with them.

The DSC Sport 2017 SS 1LE with a V3 controller performed so well, it won in CAM C, and 3rd at 2017 OPTIMA USCA PPIR event, against heavily modified cars with all the bells and whistles, and outpointed the the 1st place finisher in all the timed events. Although many have tried with a stock SS 1LE, nobody has been close to accomplishing anything like this at a national event, as far as I know. Point is, we've proven time and time again, DSC controllers are an effective addition to a 6th Gen Camaro, even competing against cars with full blown racing coil-overs.

Another benefit is when you're ready to upgrade, same controller works with DSC Sport RT coil-over shocks, and they have a smooth ride in Touring. First set of production 6th Gen Camaro RT shocks goes out at the end of this week! Prototypes have been run for a year on DSC Sport Camaro, beating the heck out of em, and now it's time.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #66
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Thank you, will try that!

I've been making sure the port settings and software port settings are the same but like I said...the utility will work, but not the Tuner software!

Will give them a call tomorrow, I really want to make sure I have the latest software loaded. I've noticed that the PTM table is blank and that worries me.
Keep in mind, the tables won't populate until you do a "READ ALL" with laptop hooked to controller to load the calibration that came on your unit. I've seen it before, easy to think because it's plugged in, you should be seeing actual calibration on your controller, but you don't until it's retrieved, just like ECU tuning software. I always start by using READ ALL to be sure I'm working with calibration on my controller, and it's not a previous calibration. Be sure to view www.dscsport.com and watch Tuning Academy videos. It shows you step by step, how to do this. Trust me, you don't want to wing it! Been there dun it, not so good...
Old 03-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #67
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
In for updates! I'd love to learn more about this controller.
You can keep up with all the stupid stuff I do on my facebook page "Robert Weathers" just look for the yellow/carbon fiber Camaro with DSC Sport on it. DSC figured if anybody can tear crap up and make things go wrong, it would be someone like me, running the snot out of a 2017 SS 1LE in OPTIMA USCA events. One of my jobs at DSC Sport, is to be a pain in the ass to our engineer and owner, so he can sort out potential problems, and provide a better ownership experience. I'm the reason we have a V4 that's tough enough to be on a military vehicle, lol! Camaro trunks are hot where the controller sits, right above the muffler, and on 2SS, there's an amp generation heat as well. Long story short, I killed the Camaro V1 and V2, abused them severely, but met my match with V3, but just to be safe, the owner stabbed me with with an exclamation point, by releasing an even tougher V4, with dual processors! I really like the V4, but don't tell anyone I put the V3 back in, still trying to kill it! Dang thing won't die, and it pisses me off... oh well. Bout to put the V4 back in and concede defeat. As long as I don't do anything to kill it by zapping with car and laptop power sources at same time, while conducting a read or write all, not sure I could ever cause it to fail.

Last edited by MadMotorMagazine; 03-19-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #68
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
MadMotor, do you think any tuning changes would be necessary if the stock springs were to be changed out for some lowering springs? eyeing the YYZ springs at the moment with non-linear spring rates
really wanna bring the car down a little
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:39 PM   #69
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Feedback from VIR Full course with the DSC controller vs stock controller:

DSC controller is out of the box with no adjustments and he is running stock Supercar 3 tires. Car is excellent on flat sections, however, has a bit of an unsteady pogo feeling on elevation changes especially exiting the uphill esses. Tradeoff but some areas seem faster. Braking in the fastest areas going uphill seem to confuse the unit a bit and cause a slight wavering.

I drove the car also and can confirm the shocks feel noticeably stiffer and jarring but better in the short flat sections. For AutoX, this controller seems suited and well programmed out of the box. The pogo feeling is there on exit of uphill esses. Some weird braking instability is noted.

There may be other comments if a question is asked but swapping to the stock controller allowed a more stable experience overall. DSC has some work to do with the ZL1 to allow a better experience at VIR. I'm sure some parameters could be adjusted.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #70
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
Feedback from VIR Full course with the DSC controller vs stock controller:

DSC controller is out of the box with no adjustments and he is running stock Supercar 3 tires. Car is excellent on flat sections, however, has a bit of an unsteady pogo feeling on elevation changes especially exiting the uphill esses. Tradeoff but some areas seem faster. Braking in the fastest areas going uphill seem to confuse the unit a bit and cause a slight wavering.

I drove the car also and can confirm the shocks feel noticeably stiffer and jarring but better in the short flat sections. For AutoX, this controller seems suited and well programmed out of the box. The pogo feeling is there on exit of uphill esses. Some weird braking instability is noted.

There may be other comments if a question is asked but swapping to the stock controller allowed a more stable experience overall. DSC has some work to do with the ZL1 to allow a better experience at VIR. I'm sure some parameters could be adjusted.
So, an updated MRC controller that performs worse that the stock settings and creates some instability at times.

Sounds like a big FAIL to me.

Maybe it is programmable to fix those issues, but something that is supposed to make the car handle better should do so right out of the box. DSC has had PLENTY of time to fine tune the Gen 6 chassis settings, and thus far has failed.

So, my opinion has not changed and your observations mimic others who have tried it on the Gen 6 Camaro platform. My opinion still remains that GM nailed the calibration of the MRC shocks and any tinkering done aftermarket seems to muff that up in certain areas and conditions.

I will also add that the feeling of it feeling good on the flat sections is probably placebo effect. You can have no suspension and have everything hard mounted and it will feel stable on flat sections where the suspension isn't getting worked.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06

Last edited by TRZ06; 03-28-2019 at 09:05 PM.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc controller, dsc sport, mag ride, zl1