Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
VABarn

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS Vert
New car, no license plate

Hey guys,

I was wondering what you guys thought of this. I found a really great deal on one of the remaining 16's and jumped on it. It was in another state. Sales guy said "no problem, we do cross state sales all the time." Fast forward today, my temp tags have now expired, and i have no license plate. So... I can't drive it or risk getting a ticket. Before the 30 day limit I tried getting a response from the dealership. 3 emails were written to 5 different people. Silence. I finally called and the finance guy said its no longer thier problem, since they farmed it off to a 3rd party service and they are usually slow...

Thoughts?
VABarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
What does your county DMV say?

What is it you are looking to get from the dealer?
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
What does your county DMV say?

What is it you are looking to get from the dealer?
+1 on asking the DMV. Your state may have a different grace period for tagging the car after the purchase - sounds like the state you purchased it from had a 30 day grace if that's what the drive out tag was for.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
VABarn

Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't want anything from the dealer except my license plate. They can't give me any perks or "we're sorry we screwed up" coupons as they aren't local and I'm never going to actually visit them to use anything... maybe I'm just here to bitch about my situation? Really pretty pissed. Have to take my wife's car to work tomorrow which causes her to be stuck at home for the 12 hours I'm working.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I had this happen. Go to the DMV and see if you can get an extension on the temporary tags. In AZ I was able to get a 90 day extension which was enough time for the titling to transfer from CA to AZ
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
VABarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekirk2 View Post
+1 on asking the DMV. Your state may have a different grace period for tagging the car after the purchase - sounds like the state you purchased it from had a 30 day grace if that's what the drive out tag was for.
Yes it's 30 days, but since its been 31 now, I'm not sure what happens. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABarn View Post
Yes it's 30 days, but since its been 31 now, I'm not sure what happens. I'll give them a xall tomorrow.
In the dealers defense, they may not be able to issue you another drive out tag. Some states limit the length of time after the sale that dealers are allowed to issue temp tags. I ran into it when I was in the service waiting for my actual tags to arrive in the mail from the state of Tennessee.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #8
VABarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekirk2 View Post
In the dealers defense, they may not be able to issue you another drive out tag. Some states limit the length of time after the sale that dealers are allowed to issue temp tags. I ran into it when I was in the service waiting for my actual tags to arrive in the mail from the state of Tennessee.
I'm inclined to agree except for two things. First is the salesman stating they deal in out if state sales with Virginia all the time (slimey salesmen lie?) and second, their complete lack of response after numerious attempts in trying to get an answer.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABarn View Post
I'm inclined to agree except for two things. First is the salesman stating they deal in out if state sales with Virginia all the time (slimey salesmen lie?) and second, their complete lack of response after numerious attempts in trying to get an answer.
It's likely that the finance company dropped the ball on getting the vehicle titled in your state. I couldn't register it in AZ until it was titled here. That's what took mine so long. Call the finance company up if you haven't.

EDIT: mine was a lease so it may be different for purchase.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #10
Boone
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
I recommend you go to the DMV and talk to someone there about it. I assume this 3rd party is going through the process of getting the VA DMV everything they need to title the car and register it in your name. Take all of your paperwork with you to the DMV and see if they will issue temp tags.

Previous:
1999 Camaro Z28
1992 Camaro RS
Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #11
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
I'll be watching this thread closely. I just bought my 17' from VA but live in PA. They're both reciprocating states so the plate transfer should be no problem. Ive been driving on temp tags for 3 weeks now and they expire on the 25th so I'm starting to get worried. Good luck and I hope your plate comes in. Please post when you figure out what's going on.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #12
16Panther

Drives: 2016 RS
You paid VA tax to the dealership, right? I've purchased vehicles out of state where I paid the tax, registered it with the MSO and got the plates myself at the DMV.
16Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:46 AM   #13
nvrsatisfied

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Panther View Post
You paid VA tax to the dealership, right? I've purchased vehicles out of state where I paid the tax, registered it with the MSO and got the plates myself at the DMV.
^This. I bought a few from out of state. I was given a bill of sale that I took to my state DMV and paid sales tax and received plate from DMV.
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
VABarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Panther View Post
So far this has been a nightmare. So, the dealer is in NC, I live in VA. They actually had someone drive up from NC so I could sign the paperwork (he took all copies back with him). The car was delivered the next day with the window sticker and the 30 day temp tag (no paperwork). I haven't received anything from the dealer since then. I have sent 5 emails asking for info on the paperwork/titling/registration.. nothing.