Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
I've had all three cars(chally, Mustang and 6thgen), and I came back to you honey.

Well it looks like Im going back to a 6th gen. I have had a scat for about a year and a half. I had a 17 mustang GT before that and before that a 6th gen 1LE. I needed a good DD car for long daily drives, but it had to be a pony/muscle car. I wont drive an SUV or normal car. And I landed on the scat. It has everything anyone would want in a very fast DD. Now that im back to working from home (no more DDing), its time to get what I REALLY WANT.

I dont want another 1LE. Manual is not for me anymore. I'd like a 19 2SS car with the A10 and dual mode exhaust. MRC would be nice too, but not necessary. The camaro has always been my favorite, but I had to move on. I needed more room and frankly a more civilized car. Thats when the mustang came in. It was an A6 GT non-PP car. Gutless more or less. I didnt want the headache of dealing with the DOHC motor to make power and I didnt want boost. With the 6th gen, it will be easy to make NA power, and a breeze to have tuned.

So off to the dealer to see how badly Im going to get raped on the challenger. Luckily they hold value fairly well. Better than the other two brands - sorry to say.

Anyone else go full circle? Or leave the camaro, but return???
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Chevmaro

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Have had 3 Mustangs-1990 LX 5.0 automatic; 2000 GT 5 speed; 2012 Boss 302 and 3 SRT Challengers-2009 auto; 2013 auto; 2015 Hellcat auto. The Hellcat was wrecked when an idiot went through the red light. I had already planned to get my '19 Camaro SS 1LE before the wreck. I really like the 1LE and wish I still had the Hellcat. They are very different cars; the Hellcat would be the DD. I wish Chevy had track events like Dodge did (and does) for SRT models and Ford did for the Boss 302 and Focus RS (had a '17). Why does Chevy not do this? Sorry if I went off topic...
Chevmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I haven't gone full circle in 1 gen, but you can see many of the cars I've had in the past down in my signature, a little from all the Big 3. I didn't include some of the boring DD's I shared with my wife.

Only reason I have a Charger is that my kids are older/bigger and we just need the space and extra doors now. The 392 HEMI Charger has been a fantastic family car DD without completely sacrificing performance.

I came back to the Camaro for a toy car and bought the Z/28 after selling the 69 Mustang.

If I had to choose just 1 pony car as a DD, it would come down to the 392 Challenger (more practical) or a 6th gen Camaro SS (more fun). I just can't look at the S550 Mustangs, they are FUGLY. Although I will give some credit to the GT350, it's better looking than the GT's. Actually, if I sold both the Charger and Z/28, I could swing a 6th gen ZL1 (best all around car on the market IMHO) as a DD, but I wouldn't want to do that. I like having separate cars, one for DD and one for fun duty.
I omitted it due to being a sedan, but I also owned in before the challenger, a 17 Daytona 392. You are right. Thats the perfect DD. But I wanted two doors, not 4. In retrospect, it would have been the best car all around for the car nut that needs to drive long distances every day. The extra room in the back helps. But I didnt need it.

Now I really dont need that extra room or comfort for hours of daily use. I want the auto race car that will be fantastic on the track or road, and turn heads. Plus ease of modding. The 392 cars come with the hemi tax for just about everything. Cam costs $800 and a tune will be $1200 because you need to buy a hacked ECU. And the gains for a 392 are nothing like you get from a 6th gen with headers, cam and a tune. Plus being 400lbs less helps. Its the right car for me to let sit in the garage until its sunny and warm. For daily, I will share my wife's car when I need to go out. But yeah charger with the 392 is just about the best daily driver for a family person.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Well it looks like Im going back to a 6th gen. I have had a scat for about a year and a half. I had a 17 mustang GT before that and before that a 6th gen 1LE. I needed a good DD car for long daily drives, but it had to be a pony/muscle car. I wont drive an SUV or normal car. And I landed on the scat. It has everything anyone would want in a very fast DD. Now that im back to working from home (no more DDing), its time to get what I REALLY WANT.

I dont want another 1LE. Manual is not for me anymore. I'd like a 19 2SS car with the A10 and dual mode exhaust. MRC would be nice too, but not necessary. The camaro has always been my favorite, but I had to move on. I needed more room and frankly a more civilized car. Thats when the mustang came in. It was an A6 GT non-PP car. Gutless more or less. I didnt want the headache of dealing with the DOHC motor to make power and I didnt want boost. With the 6th gen, it will be easy to make NA power, and a breeze to have tuned.

So off to the dealer to see how badly Im going to get raped on the challenger. Luckily they hold value fairly well. Better than the other two brands - sorry to say.

Yes, almost. Had a '15 Mustang GT PP. I had a '17 1SS manual. It had a nasty coolant leak from 1st WEEK of ownership (as in it held none) and they failed to fix it twice. Dealer rewound the deal and gave me my $ back. I test drove a few Challenger Scat Packs. I wasn't a fan really. Too freakin' huge for me. I work from home too so no DD commute.

After that decided to bag the Camaro for awhile. Tried to deal on a leftover '18 1SS manual but most scumbag Chevy dealers near me try to force you to pay dealer add-ons like sealant..etc. So I of course I walked. Almost went ZL1 but again, Lo-Jack was mandatory $1250 at the dealer with the lowest prices.

Ended up getting a '19 Mustang GT base manual for well under $30K. Couldn't come close to that in a 1SS. Even after upgrading the stock wheels/tires, I'm barely over $31K. I like Camaros and Mustangs. But the GT was the better deal by far to me and it's get sh!tloads of power for me and sounds incredible. It will remain 100% stock (except for the wheels/tires and tint). It easier to park and see out of too. But I'd be happy with either car.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Hound Dawg

Drives: 2018 2SS 50th Hot Wheels Edition
That 2020 GT500 is making waves. I'm planning on a second hot rod....and was assuming it would be an eventual ZL1 to go with my Hottie......but this GT500 has caused a slight hesitation.

I'll go to confession this weekend.
1982 Silver on Navy Blue Z/28 - SOLD but will post pix
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon UL
2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Hound Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
dohvb1

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Dawg View Post
That 2020 GT500 is making waves. I'm planning on a second hot rod....and was assuming it would be an eventual ZL1 to go with my Hottie......but this GT500 has caused a slight hesitation.
After dealer markup 100k easy. Thanks, but no thanks.
dohvb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Sounds like you still don't know what you want, except more debt.

I have the same problem, except I buy all these different cars in my imagination only, then after test drives and endless deliberations, buy one car and keep it for at least 8 years.

Once I have that one car, it takes at least two years to really get to know it.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 PM   #8
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Sounds like you still don't know what you want, except more debt.

I have the same problem, except I buy all these different cars in my imagination only, then after test drives and endless deliberations, buy one car and keep it for at least 8 years.

Once I have that one car, it takes at least two years to really get to know it.
Smart. And agreed. I've had too many cars myself but mostly buy cheaper used ones.

But yeah OP sounds like something else is going on. Endless cycle of searching for something you won't find in a car and more and more financial hits.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:39 AM   #9
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post

If I were to do it over, i would find a very slightly used Camaro. The depreciation hit is the worst of the 3. Especially if you plan to mod. You can find 3000 mile 2SS camaros for $25k ish or under. If u gotta have a 19, may need to wait a little for some used ones. Let those of us who bought new take the hit. Ugh
Old 01-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Nice, good luck coming back.

I never had a Stang but I had an 09 370z, then 2015 Challenger R/T, then 17 1LE.

I bought the 370 used with 37k in 2013 and was car I always wanted but I had lots of problems (new short block, valve cover leaked 3 times, new ecu, new compressor all in 14k of me owing it) before I traded it in for new Challenger in 2015. I liked the Challenger was comfortable and a little faster then the Z, handling got better after doing SRT springs and a strut bar. But still just wasn't sporty enough, I think if I got a Scatpack (which I drove later and feels way different than R/T) I would still have a Challenger. But I'm in love with the 1le, it's like a bigger and much more powerful 370z