Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #15
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Barb, this what you talking about?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...waAkhoEALw_wcB

"Chevrolet Performance coolant system seal tablets are organically formulated and designed for use in radiator systems to seal or prevent leaks due to casting porosity in engine components.

Coolant system seal tablet details:

* Non-toxic
* DEX-COOL compatible
* Engine application is based on liters of volume in cooling system
* Formulated for automotive use"

To be honest, I have never seen these before. You learn something new every day.
I remember these being called out in the shop manual for a Z-24 I owned back in the early 90's. They were added when the coolant was replaced.

There is no such requirement in my 2010 Camaro shop manual.

You could try them, but I think a 10 year old car with a new engine should just get a new radiator.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #16
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i guess i will get some when i change out the antifreeze this winter...learned something new today.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:48 PM   #17
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
You can try replacing the side gaskets. If you do that, I'd replace both of them, on either side, and get the proper crimp tool for the aluminum housing tabs. I did that once on an old 3rd gen Camaro and it worked fine with no leaks.

However, in this case I think it would be better to get a brand new radiator and be done with it. When you do get the new radiator, I'd get one with increased cooling capacity with all aluminum construction if you can. That way, it can handle any mods you may plan on doing in the future. These plastic tank OEM radiators are a bean counters dream. Ugh!
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #18
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
You can try replacing the side gaskets. If you do that, I'd replace both of them, on either side, and get the proper crimp tool for the aluminum housing tabs. I did that once on an old 3rd gen Camaro and it worked fine with no leaks.

However, in this case I think it would be better to get a brand new radiator and be done with it. When you do get the new radiator, I'd get one with increased cooling capacity with all aluminum construction if you can. That way, it can handle any mods you may plan on doing in the future. These plastic tank OEM radiators are a bean counters dream. Ugh!
Yeah, the ACDelco OEM can be had for less than $180, the Denso (which is nearly identical) for $120.

I am not looking to upgrade above OEM level for cooling right now, so OEM is fine with me.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:29 AM   #19
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I’m familiar with them, they first came out in the mid ‘80s if I’m not mistaken for the aluminum head tpi 350’s the vettes of the day had. I’ve used them before. No real harm was done when using them for me. What I was getting at is the fact that I could see a dealer monkey adding them in to “fix” a more serious problem.
Like I said Gm uses them in everything, my 3800 used coolant no matter what I tried including intake gaskets. Dropped 5 or 6 of these in and it stopped using. I had a intake runner leaking coolant on a LS1 dropped just one in and its stopped. That leak puffed out the exhaust too. What I would stay away from is the bars leak tabs. They look similar but make a hell of a mess inside the radiator. When I had the coolant changed in this 14 Camaro 1st thing I did was drop a few tabs in just to be safe. If you look real close you can see signs of it around the cap opening or in the overflow tank from the factory. Before I had the coolant changed on this Camaro I had some coolant smell in the car. Since changing it and putting tabs in it the smell is gone. Hope it stays that way a long time.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:56 AM   #20
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
You do learn something new every day, never heard of these but its very interesting.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote