Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
LS3 Oil pickup O-ring and LS2 chain tensioner

My new to me LS3 is on the stand right now. I am getting it prepared and waiting for parts.

I have a new rear cover/seal coming, as well as alignment tool. Today I received a new LS2 style dogbone tensioner. After careful inspection of the OEM timing chain tensioner, it looks to be in good shape. Should I replace it anyway? There is currently no balancer on the crank, so it won't be much work. But I will have to remove the oil pump and gear/chain to remove and install the new one

My other related question is, for the single bolt cam gears, is the bolt reusable or are they TTY?

Luckily, the previous owner installed a still brand new Melling 10296, but I noticed it has a blue O-ring. So I ordered a new Melling O-ring set from Jegs, which comes with a green and black o-ring, just in case. Pretty sure based on our pickup tube style that it gets the black O-ring. But I see a ton of conflicting info on this.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Since your motor is on a stand, I would install the dog bone, especially if your camming it. You will need to pull the pump off, but will be a lot easier out of the car. On my 1st cam swap, I opted to leave in the LS3 tensioner, but I also only performed cam swap. This time I installed all new lifters, trays, larger camshaft, springs, oil pump, which I used the green O-ring on, but my kit came with it and and a blue one. I will need to verify my thread on this, but pretty sure it was. You can also google Melling oil pump print, and they have a YouTube video to tell you, or look at my post. One of the guys posted it over there.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Unfortunately, I am not installing a cam now. This was an unplanned swap due to my L99 failing. Money is tight, and all these little extras and tools are killing me. But pulling the oil pan, pump, and front cover will probably take less than 10 minutes. Luckily I noticed the previous owner of the engine also upgraded the pickup hold down tab to the kind that uses 2 bolts. My point in ordering the extra O-rings was just in case I nicked or damaged the O-ring when installing the dog bone.

I think I found that Melling video. Thanks!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 08-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Can you post the video link?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Old 08-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I love how on the second video they tell you ‘to closely control the install of the performance pump, take it apart and use shims’ — then tell you you voided the warranty doing that.

Nice...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Good deal. Yea the video is very helpful, but I also noticed how they said that. Guess theres always a price to pay for modding.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Green has been the color for the Oring of choice on here for years, and I always have thought the dampener could be replaced with a Dremel to cut the stock POS tensioner off so you don't have to remove the chain,,,but your doing the high volume pump anyway …… and of course keeping any debris out of things is important. And Balancer bolts are TTY.....so you can use the first bolt to help snug the Balancer back on then take it out and toss it and then a couple rounds are needed to torque the new bolt properly.... I know all this and still use the Best tuner around to do my work, I cannot afford to fail>>>>LOL I am a old motorhead who works too much and is too old and done way too many engines ...LOL Good Luck.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Green has been the color for the Oring of choice on here for years, and I always have thought the dampener could be replaced with a Dremel to cut the stock POS tensioner off so you don't have to remove the chain,,,but your doing the high volume pump anyway …… and of course keeping any debris out of things is important. And Balancer bolts are TTY.....so you can use the first bolt to help snug the Balancer back on then take it out and toss it and then a couple rounds are needed to torque the new bolt properly.... I know all this and still use the Best tuner around to do my work, I cannot afford to fail>>>>LOL I am a old motorhead who works too much and is too old and done way too many engines ...LOL Good Luck.
Yup, already bought the new TTY GM bolt, an install tool, and a really nice balancer puller to get my crank pulley off the L99 to swap to the LS3. Wish I could afford to go with ARP hardware and ATI balancer, but my wallet already hates me.

It's not so bad to get the chain tensioner off since the engine is already on the stand and doesn't have a balancer on yet, so that makes life so much easier. My new torque wrench will be here tomorrow. My current 1/2 incher only maxes at 150 ft. lbs. The new one goes to 250, so I can properly torque it. Already got a new angle gauge as well. I guess one positive out of all of this is that I am stocking up on a bunch of tools that I will never have to buy again .

Alright cool, so it's pretty much in agreement the green O-ring is the way to go. Apparently that is a slightly thicker one than the black one. I definitely don't want to deal with oil pressure issues at startup, so this will be a bit of piece of mind. Going to prime the pump via that access hole per the Melling video.

Going to take my time with this install and triple check everything. Replacing any seals or gaskets that look at me funny.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Good Luck!
Old 08-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #11
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Have fun, since you will have the pan off, I would loosen the pickup tube bolts to get her seated in the pump. Might not be nessecary but I found it to be the best chance of eliminating the pinched oring i experienced when I first installed the pump.