Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-31-2017, 03:08 PM   #15
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Thanks for all the responses guys.

***UPDATE: ChrisLS3, I think you may be onto something. As of today, now the DIC tells me when I start the car with the drivers door closed that my door is open, and it shows the little drivers door emblem on the car outline.

The fact I can't arm the alarm? Well, it normally won't let you when the door is open. Dome lights and interior halos not turning off or on would be related. You also cannot control the window of a door that is being opened normally (it interrupts). Doesn't explain why I can't open the passenger window, but at least getting somewhere. I know if the main window switch is not working right, it can cause problems with other windows.

Also I am going to keep open the possibility of a leaky windshield like mentioned above. I think the BCM is mounted somewhere behind the dash, near or above the steering wheel shaft. But not 100% certain.

Thanks again guys, and keep them coming! ANYTHING is a possibility at this point. I truly appreciate this. I just have to start saving money now in case I can't do this on my own.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #16
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
One possibility I have thought of is the rain is getting into the wiring harness in between the firewall and door jams, causing a short to the BCM for those specific functions. Either that, or somehow it is getting into the door switch that controls the windows, which in turn is causing a short condition in the BCM. Another possibility, however less likely, is the extreme humidity is causing issues with the actual BCM.
My thoughts initially took me to the areas you discussed (above). Appears that the signals from the door being opened/door switches ares not getting to the BCM. To me that points to a problem in the wiring harness or within the BCM itself. Having said that, it is based on logic only; I have NO EXPERIENCE in actually working those electrical systems. I personally would take SPEC's advice and find a reputable, qualified auto electrics shop to do the work. (By the way, the electronics on these new cars is THE reason I opt for an extended warranty!--but even those eventually expire, as would have happened with your 2010.) Good luck, and keep us posted.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:55 AM   #17
ATCK45

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys.

***UPDATE: ChrisLS3, I think you may be onto something. As of today, now the DIC tells me when I start the car with the drivers door closed that my door is open, and it shows the little drivers door emblem on the car outline.

The fact I can't arm the alarm? Well, it normally won't let you when the door is open. Dome lights and interior halos not turning off or on would be related. You also cannot control the window of a door that is being opened normally (it interrupts). Doesn't explain why I can't open the passenger window, but at least getting somewhere. I know if the main window switch is not working right, it can cause problems with other windows.

Also I am going to keep open the possibility of a leaky windshield like mentioned above. I think the BCM is mounted somewhere behind the dash, near or above the steering wheel shaft. But not 100% certain.

Thanks again guys, and keep them coming! ANYTHING is a possibility at this point. I truly appreciate this. I just have to start saving money now in case I can't do this on my own.
It's probably not the BCM as it appears it is working correctly. It's not getting a door input and in turn displaying the door is open (it will display what it gets, garbage in garbage out), in addition the BCM does not control the window when the switch is used. The door circuits all go through Connector X500 between the door and A-piller (also a good area for possible water intrusion), in addition the location of the window switches make it prone to water intrusion when it starts to rain and the window is down or the door is open. Before you start tearing apart your dash and having someone replace your BCM (they will if you want them too) pull the window switch and connector x500 and look for corrosion in those connectors. In addition if the door is open (bad input) the system won't let you arm the alarm.

GM World Class Technician / ASE Master

Last edited by ATCK45; 09-01-2017 at 06:57 AM. Reason: more info
ATCK45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #18
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCK45 View Post
It's probably not the BCM as it appears it is working correctly. It's not getting a door input and in turn displaying the door is open (it will display what it gets, garbage in garbage out), in addition the BCM does not control the window when the switch is used. The door circuits all go through Connector X500 between the door and A-piller (also a good area for possible water intrusion), in addition the location of the window switches make it prone to water intrusion when it starts to rain and the window is down or the door is open. Before you start tearing apart your dash and having someone replace your BCM (they will if you want them too) pull the window switch and connector x500 and look for corrosion in those connectors. In addition if the door is open (bad input) the system won't let you arm the alarm.

GM World Class Technician / ASE Master
There is a reason that you are a GM World Class Technician / ASE Master. You nailed it pretty much right on the head...except I am not sure if the pics I am showing is of the X500 type connector, as I don't know what that looks like.

I am updating my original post to show you what I found today.

You and everyone else that pointed me towards this connection deserves the biggest thanks ever. I haven't removed all moisture yet, but the windows are now working just from shaking it out.

Thanks everyone! NOT the BCM!!!!!

Check the original post on page 1 for new pics of the issue found.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 09-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #19
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
love this place! great job, Camaroans!!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #20
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
love this place! great job, Camaroans!!
You and me both brother.

Seriously, I want to thank each and everyone in here that provided input, regardless of whether it pointed me in the right direction or not. I hope that this thread helps someone else in out in the future.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #21
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
If the metal parts of the connector are not corroded, you can spray some maf cleaner or brake cleaner, something that is designed to quick dry and dry it out with some computer canned air. Cleaned my opti spark harness connector when it got coolant in it.

Maybe check with the pro first, but some dielectric grease when you put it all back together may help to prevent future occurrence.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #22
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Great to see the issue is being addressed.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #23
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
InFiD3vil--Glad you were able to identify the issue in the connector. Hope you are also able to isolate/identify the source of the water intrusion. Thanks for keeping us updated!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #24
unileg

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
i went through automatic car wash engine light came on and tranny stuck in3rd wouldnt shift up or down mechanic said there was 40 different codes cleared them everything is normal now what got wet afraid to wash it or drive in the rain help please 2010 ss l99
unileg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #25
EJSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
For the past few months, my car wont start after a heavy rain, check my recent posts for more details. Long story short after cursing the heavens I found a really cool member on here who directed me to the seams under the windshield wiper cowl on the passenger side. Sure enough water was getting in there and leaking into the floor on the passenger side, I never thought the two problems were related, but I rubbed seam sealer all over the seams and problem solved, no more water getting into the car. BUT WAIT... a month later, heavy rain and BAMMM car shuts down on me on a bridge and I had to get it towed home. After scanning my car up and down, taking every damn panel off and checking the connections, everything seemed dry and clean. Bought a car interface for my laptop and the gds2 software, scanned the car and found fuel pump control module secondary circuit open. Found electrical diagrams for the fuel system, checked all connectors and ohmed out all wires supplying the fuel pump and everything else downstream of the fpcm. Everything looked fine. Determined that the rain must be a crazy coincidence or something i just couldn't explain and changed the fuel pump since its the only thing I could point to causing the problem. I change my fuel pump 2 weeks ago. Had a heavy rain earlier today for the first time since the new fuel pump, so far so good, but not ready to call it fixed until a few more heavy rains.
EJSS is offline   Reply With Quote