Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Road Trip Report

I was / am approaching my first HPDE event for the ZL1 on 5/19. I was getting a little concerned about not having enough miles on the vehicle, so I settled on a quick road trip. On Saturday, I pulled out of Lafayette, LA bound for Mobile, AL and lunch with good friends. I hit rain almost as soon as I hit I-10. I kept the speeds normal and just used the manual mode to vary engine speeds a bit.

By Baton Rouge, the weather had cleared and I settled in for the drive. I varied the speed a bit and still used the paddles to bounce the RPMs up and down as needed. As the miles and hours passed, I was very much impressed by the comfort of the seats and the quality of the ride. Louisiana is not known for good roads and I-10 to I-12 to the Mississippi line is no exception. I stopped and stretched my legs and back in Mississippi at the Stennis Space Center Welcome area.

Back in the saddle and better road surfaces made for a relaxing journey into Mobile. Lunch and conversation with my friends stretched out for 3 hours of good times. Looking at my watch and it was approaching 4:00PM.

Time to kick the tires and light the fires. My odometer said 1,375 miles. Before I could even merge onto I-10, the rain started. It came down hard for about 40 miles. Easy on the gas and be as situationally aware as possible and I never felt the car was unsafe.

The Mississippi line and clear skies and soon clear roads were stretched out before me. The odometer ticked over 1,400 and a little bit. A funny thing happened around this point that I will only comment on to this extent. BMW M3s are not really all that fast.

1,500 miles and change found me at the car wash just before my house. It was 9:30ish at night and the touchless car wash worked to clean off the bigger hunks.

I averaged just short of 24MPG on the trip. The car was comfortable enough for me to pit stop and clean it up before putting it to bed. 9+ hours in the saddle and I was still in good enough shape to want to do that. Acceleration was outstanding. The car handled the rain without incident. It is hard for me to overstate how impressed I am by this car.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Thanks for sharing. It reminds of last season when I was trying to get my ZL1 A10 broken in before my first event. I did PA to Maine.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
Exgermanowner

Drives: Bone stock
Just a friendly reminder, diff oil and motor oil need to be changed before you hit the track.

I too was hoping to hit my first track event(in the ZL1, not in general) Memorial Day weekend, but had a motorcycle accident and tore my left shoulder up and had surgery last week for three tears. So won’t be hitting the track till Sept, bleep bleep bleep! I was at 1380 on the odo the day before surgery and dropped the hammer. Holy S _ _ _! Very jealous!