Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #29
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Hopefully it's not boosted.

Me personally am not a fan of sealed catch can's on a boosted car and I think that venturi effect of running a 3rd hose to the intake side of the procharger is a gimmick and doesn't provide enough vacuum. It sounds cool but how clogged up does your K&N filter have to be to provide adequate enough vacuum to the catch can to retain a good enough suction to efficiently let a boosted car vent?
I don't really know what you are talking about here.

I run them (and have run them for years) on cars right at 1000 wheel HP.
Never had an issue, and I have no smell, perfectly clean air filters.
And loads and loads of oil, and moisture trapped by the cans. (have to drain them)

I really like them on the LT4 and LT1 wet sump cars, since it 100% eliminates the "smell" of oil from ever entering the cabin.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #30
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Hopefully it's not boosted.

Me personally am not a fan of sealed catch can's on a boosted car and I think that venturi effect of running a 3rd hose to the intake side of the procharger is a gimmick and doesn't provide enough vacuum. It sounds cool but how clogged up does your K&N filter have to be to provide adequate enough vacuum to the catch can to retain a good enough suction to efficiently let a boosted car vent?
I'm sorry, but your information is just not correct!

So, a vented system causes the following issues our FI systems address and correct. Here is a list of the negatives of a system like you run:

It only evacuates when there is vacuum from the intake manifold, which is only a small amount of running time unless it is a PD blower.

By not evacuating and removing the constantly entering contaminants it allows much of them to remain n the crankcase and contaminate the engine oil.

By venting, you allow pressure to build and release where we pull full time evacuation. That is at all modes of operation. When you do this you have parasitic power loss by the pistons having to fight on the downstroke this pressure. We assist the pistons downstroke pulling the piston down with suction vs pushing against pressure.

We aid in piston ring stability and prevent "ring flutter", while allowing pressure to build and vent creates a condition where the valves enter into rapid vibration and they cannot seal properly.

And we can go on.

Now you bring up the Venturi Effect generating vacuum as a "Gimmick"? Google search and see how wrong that statement is. You mistakenly assume the suction generated is from a "clogged filter"? The flow past the inlet barb in the intake stream generates its own vacuum: https://makezine.com/projects/giovan...enturi-effect/ It has nothing to do with air filter restriction.

And as we emulate what ALL Professional race teams have used for decades, but designed for street use and to meet emissions requirements. Can you point to a single example of any Pro teams running venting? No, it is not done. The engines are far to valuable to subject to the wear and stresses venting does.

Now, how would our system allow pressure to ever build? Even if the engine would experience a breach in the rung/piston/cylinder seal, any excessive pressure would simply release just as the breather vent on what you use, but instead of into the engine compartment with smelly oily residue (illegal in all 50 States), our simply release without restriction into the main intake air tube BUT it is also filtered and oil separated by our billet cleanside separator. So what part of each point is not far superior to a venting? All is laid out. And we welcome a civil discussion with technical data and facts, not assumptions.

Keep in mind, "Venting" was used from the earliest automobiles until the mid 1960's and the advent of the PCV system. Engines prior to positive evacuation only lasted 30-40k miles before and entire rebuild was needed due to excessive wear. After the PCV system was implemented, these same engines, using the same oils and 1000-12000 mile oil changes started lasting 100k plus miles before internal wear dictated a rebuild. That was a complete surprise to the industry as the point of the PCV system was to reduce groundwater pollution from oil dripping onto the road ways, so it took a great deal of studying what had changed. It was found that the PCV system was actually removing the combustion by-products BEFORE they could settle and mix with the oil. So, your implementing a system using technology going back to over 100 years ago.

No where is "venting" used except by tuner shops that are just making assumptions VS actual science and engineering.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #31
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I'm pretty sure mine is leaking, but only under boost (16 lbs) on the stock motor. Can it leak only under boost but not at idle. Mine happened at the track on my second pass. Luckily I had my belly pan on I had built this winter, other wise I would have oiled the track down and maybe worse into the wall. After I cleaned everything up I put it on my drive on rack an it never leaked. The only other thing that could leak up front could be the oil cooler lines.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #32
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
When we do FI on a Gen 6 we install an LS3 crank seal up front, Or a Metco Crank case breather.

GM changed the design for the Gen6 Likely to reduce drag, and it's very weak like tissue paper, Sneeze and it blows out.

Ted.
Just installed my maggie kit last weekend and swapped to the ls3 seal per Ted's recommendation. The ls3 part is much more robust than the tissue thin lt1 part. It is obvious when comparing the two parts that the ls3 will be able to contain far more pressure. Swapping seals adds 5 bucks and 5 minutes to a FI installation. Imho it would be crazy not to swap. I will admit, however that if ted had not recommended this it would not have occurred to me as i had no idea how flimsy the stock seal was
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #33
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Just installed my maggie kit last weekend and swapped to the ls3 seal per Ted's recommendation. The ls3 part is much more robust than the tissue thin lt1 part. It is obvious when comparing the two parts that the ls3 will be able to contain far more pressure. Swapping seals adds 5 bucks and 5 minutes to a FI installation. Imho it would be crazy not to swap. I will admit, however that if ted had not recommended this it would not have occurred to me as i had no idea how flimsy the stock seal was
well crap. wish I would have known this good info prior to doing my install.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #34
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
What’s involved in swapping the seal if the blower has already been installed?
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #35
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
What’s involved in swapping the seal if the blower has already been installed?
R&R the balancer
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #36
Inkedmongo

Drives: 2ss
Anyone happen to have a part number for the LS3 front seal being used to upgrade on the LT1 when going FI install?

Also any information on a proper catch can and breather w part number would be awesome.

Sorry, just being a humble sponge for information since I do my own wrenching.
Inkedmongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:40 AM   #37
Jhunsberger

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6 (SOLD)
Quote:
Same here! Doing a whipple install and gathering the final pieces to prep for the install. Thanks to this forum and the expertise of Ted at JRE I also purchased the LS3 seal to install.
Jhunsberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:42 AM   #38
Jhunsberger

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6 (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkedmongo View Post
Anyone happen to have a part number for the LS3 front seal being used to upgrade on the LT1 when going FI install?

Also any information on a proper catch can and breather w part number would be awesome.

Sorry, just being a humble sponge for information since I do my own wrenching.
Call up Kris G at JRE 203-753-7223, and he will quickly ship you what you need, they are awesome there.
Jhunsberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #39
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhunsberger View Post
Call up Kris G at JRE 203-753-7223, and he will quickly ship you what you need, they are awesome there.
Thank you very much.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #40
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I guess I have taken the belt and suspenders approach; I’ve got the LS3 seal and the Metco breather. Is there any history of rear seal issues on FI 6th gens? I wonder if there is an alternate rear seal that is better suited to FI applications? I’m sure as hell not going to pull the tranny and swap mine out, but it would be good to know for future reference. It’s inevitable that I will be replacing the clutch at some point and if there’s a better seal I would certainly want to swap it in at the first opportunity.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #41
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
I guess I have taken the belt and suspenders approach; I’ve got the LS3 seal and the Metco breather. Is there any history of rear seal issues on FI 6th gens? I wonder if there is an alternate rear seal that is better suited to FI applications? I’m sure as hell not going to pull the tranny and swap mine out, but it would be good to know for future reference. It’s inevitable that I will be replacing the clutch at some point and if there’s a better seal I would certainly want to swap it in at the first opportunity.
We have not seen any issues with Rear Mains.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #42
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The slightest crank case pressure can blow the seals out even without any piston ring land failure.

To answer your question Yes Piston failure causes seals to blow and not the other way around.

Ted.

Do the eforce kits come with anything to vent the crank case pressure?

If not what would work and be the easiest setup so that the pressure can escape?

On my LS3 w eforce I got a lot little oil leaks after about 50k miles..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote