Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
BlueCamaro6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
LT4 Supercharger Conversion Expansion Tank

I wanted a stock looking vehicle with the extra hp, so I went with the LT4 supercharger conversion. I didn't like the factory fill procedure, so I opted to put a coolant expansion tank in. Curious on thoughts of it looking like a factory item since it is a GM replacement item that fits really good.....

The supercharger intercooler coolant output (vent plug) I hooked up to the top portion of the expansion tank so the coolant pump would circulate all fluid and relieve the air in the system. This seemed to work good on initial start up. Anybody else do it this way and have results good or bad?
Attached Images

2016 2SS, A8, NAV, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Hyperblue (GM buyback)

1999 Trans Am Firehawk, M6, headers, no-cats, slp exhaust, hot cam, intake, 3:73 gears. Red/Blk
BlueCamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
SpaceCadet

Drives: '99 Vette, '02 SVT Focus
it is a good thought, but in my opinion (since you have the 'new' Lid and angled Intercoolers) to get all potential trapped air out of the coolers you still have to raise the front of the vehicle, so the rear of the intercoolers is not the high point. Also, that bleed fitting only bleeds from the right side cooler, since the left side is after the bleed point.

the tank is nice OEM look, but a few important items is the fitting ID size? and what PSI the cap pressure is rated at?
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
BlueCamaro6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
it is a good thought, but in my opinion (since you have the 'new' Lid and angled Intercoolers) to get all potential trapped air out of the coolers you still have to raise the front of the vehicle, so the rear of the intercoolers is not the high point. Also, that bleed fitting only bleeds from the right side cooler, since the left side is after the bleed point.

the tank is nice OEM look, but a few important items is the fitting ID size? and what PSI the cap pressure is rated at?
I had the same thought on the angled intercoolers and the reservoir is actually a little higher then the top cover so the intercoolers are lower for sure. It almost touches the underside of the hood. I agree the reservoir needs to be the high point to bleed the air in any system.

The cap is 15psi or 17psi. Thinking that is fine, but not sure. Fitting is 5/16 id with 5/16id hose.. When I first started the vehicle you could see the air coming out, it took a good amount of time for no air, and then it was a steady stream of fluid going into the expansion tank. Car sat all night, checked it this morning and the fluid dropped a little in the tank (think the other air came out), and no air spitting out when started. I've seen situations were the reservoir is too low and it allows the air back into the system.

2016 2SS, A8, NAV, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Hyperblue (GM buyback)

1999 Trans Am Firehawk, M6, headers, no-cats, slp exhaust, hot cam, intake, 3:73 gears. Red/Blk
BlueCamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote