Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-01-2023, 08:21 PM   #1
MITROLL

Drives: 2023 1SS Camaro Conv. Vivid Orange
Theft Deterent?

What do you guys use as an anti theft device.? With car thefts so crazy, any suggestions? Thanks..
MITROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:34 PM   #2
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
M6
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:45 PM   #3

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITROLL View Post
What do you guys use as an anti theft device.? With car thefts so crazy, any suggestions? Thanks..
Vote out progressive democrat district attorneys for a start.

Also The Club or a steering wheel lock might have them move on elsewhere.
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:50 PM   #4
DancingJess

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
M6
DancingJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:20 PM   #5
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I don't have one but you could look into adding a tilt sensor to the factory alarm.

Locking lug nuts are an easy thing to add.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:08 PM   #6
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Yep. Third pedal.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:39 AM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
M6
100%

It seems that a LOT of the recent upswing in thefts is the proverbial "joyrider" and they seem to mostly have no clue how to drive a manual.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:56 AM   #8
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
this
Attached Images

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:48 AM   #9
FirstTimeChevy23

Drives: 23 Camaro 2SS
I guess I'll take the first serious stab at responding to the OP. You need to consider the environment your car is in. Is it garage kept or parked outside at night? If garage kept, I'd worry more about the security of your garage.. check out videos on how easy it is to break into someone's garage. Also, don't keep your car unlocked or keys in it. Lock the connecting door if possible. If it is kept outside, I would keep your key inside an RFID box that eliminates the signal from emitting to the car. I would also suggest the steering wheel club in case they somehow get your car started. I typically keep the inside of my car spotless so it doesn't advertise anything to thiefs. I also keep the glove box locked with anything valuable or that has personal information. Wheel locking nuts is a good measure as well.

Hope this helps.
FirstTimeChevy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:07 AM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimeChevy23 View Post
I guess I'll take the first serious stab at responding to the OP. You need to consider the environment your car is in. Is it garage kept or parked outside at night? If garage kept, I'd worry more about the security of your garage.. check out videos on how easy it is to break into someone's garage. Also, don't keep your car unlocked or keys in it. Lock the connecting door if possible. If it is kept outside, I would keep your key inside an RFID box that eliminates the signal from emitting to the car. I would also suggest the steering wheel club in case they somehow get your car started. I typically keep the inside of my car spotless so it doesn't advertise anything to thiefs. I also keep the glove box locked with anything valuable or that has personal information. Wheel locking nuts is a good measure as well.

Hope this helps.
Much of what has been posted is actually "serious"...

Part of why I bought an M6 is because it drastically reduces the population of people that can drive it. This includes not only thieves, but "buddies" that want to try it out as well.

The Club can help to ward off joyriders, but only if your car is parked next a bunch of others that are equally easy/difficult to steal. It will not stop someone from stealing your car if they want -your- car.

Locking lug nuts are similar but maybe not even as good because where do you keep the key? Oh yeah, in the car.

Keeping the interior of the car clean and empty does pretty much nothing to prevent its theft - it only deters someone from breaking a window or similar to steal what's IN the car.

While being aware of how to reduce additional risk in areas where you park the car, there is little that can be done to reduce the risk from the largest aspect - location. Aside from not driving the car to work, for example, you have no choice but to park where you're allowed. And, at home, you have no control over the neighborhood and similar. Again, if someone wants -your- car, they will simply come and take it, by force if necessary.

Keeping your keys inside of a faraday box/cage or similar can also help, but again.... if they want YOUR car, they are following you and will trap the signals when you use the fob to lock/unlock the car.

In the end, if they genuinely want your car, the simplest thing for them to do is follow you and carjack you. None of what has been suggested protects against that, but the M6 option does have the possibility of reducing the chance of them actually getting away with the car.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:34 AM   #11
FirstTimeChevy23

Drives: 23 Camaro 2SS
Telling automatic owners they should of bought a manual isn't very helpful. To your point, you can't stop someone from stealing your car if they truly want it. My suggestions were to the average American that wants to deter and put themselves in the best position for their cars not to get stolen. I guess if you want to take it to the extreme, you could advocate for people to open carry in their cars. I wouldn't suggest it as whats a car worth for someone's life?
FirstTimeChevy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:41 AM   #12
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Telling automatic owners they should of bought a manual isn't very helpful. To your point, you can't stop someone from stealing your car if they truly want it. My suggestions were to the average American that wants to deter and put themselves in the best position for their cars not to get stolen. I guess if you want to take it to the extreme, you could advocate for people to open carry in their cars. I wouldn't suggest it as whats a car worth for someone's life?
It could be YOUR life.....
Old 04-02-2023, 09:47 AM   #13
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
The question was what we are using for our cars to ward off theft, not what the OP should use to ward of theft for their car. So, it isn't really that those of us with M6 are saying "you should have bought a manual" as much as it is us saying "part of why we own a manual is that it helps reduce the risk of theft" (among other reasons).

The bottom line is that everything that any of us can do once we own our cars adds small, incremental levels of risk reduction. And the more cumbersome they are, the more likely they are to not be used all of the time.

The better approach is a solid insurance policy that will make one whole -IF- their car is stolen.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:56 AM   #14
W-Scott

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1, Convertible M6 sp
My Camaro (which is a convertible LT1, M6) is garage stored normally.
I keep the Fobs in a RF pouch at home. I have an OBD2 port lock on the connector. I have the club for when I park it at places away from home.

When I travel on road trip’s I’ll bring the RF pouch and I may decide to pull a fuse or two when parked over night at the hotel/motel

Just some simple things to help be a possible pain in the ass for the possible thief. Yes all these things can be beaten by a thief who really wants it; but hopefully they will just move on to an easier target.
W-Scott is offline   Reply With Quote