#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
jbynum69
God of thunder

Drives: 95 Mustang GT
windows vista!!!!

just got vista and I love it , I didn't have all the required drivers but downladed them from the sites I needed.

Does anyone here use vista and do you like it>

my version is home premium because of my vaio media center computer.

ALso what computer do you have brand name or bare bones built>

My first car was a 72 ss
I've owned 9 camaro's over the yrs...:
jbynum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
dont have mine yet but it has vista home premium. it is a dell xps 410 hope it gets here soon my old comp took a crap and kept showing me the blue screen of death so i have to use my roommates computer to write 4 papers this week its a pain i cant wait to play with it when it gets here. they have vista on the computers at the business school at CSU and ive head it pretty sweet.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
My copy is in the mail...Ive heard good things about the OS...I baught Vista Home Premium from a softwear wholesaler on Ebay for $125 including shipping, no fancy packaging (which I could careless about) just the OEM system build box...So it should be here by the weekend, so Im excited to install it and play around with it...more to come..........
NOODLESgoneWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLESgoneWILD View Post
My copy is in the mail...Ive heard good things about the OS...I baught Vista Home Premium from a softwear wholesaler on Ebay for $125 including shipping, no fancy packaging (which I could careless about) just the OEM system build box...So it should be here by the weekend, so Im excited to install it and play around with it...more to come..........
Noodles, do you know if the OEM version of Vista will be as quirky as the OEM version of XP? For example, with the OEM version of XP you can not change much of the major hardware in your PC (motherboard, processor) or else the OS thinks you just installed it in a new computer and it stops working.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
ChevyNut

just got mine today man vista is the $hit its a little annoying with al the questions but i think it will be better in the long run.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
Noodles, do you know if the OEM version of Vista will be as quirky as the OEM version of XP? For example, with the OEM version of XP you can not change much of the major hardware in your PC (motherboard, processor) or else the OS thinks you just installed it in a new computer and it stops working.
Casull, Well...I hadn't read anything bad about the OEM installation process prior to buying Vista, but i have to admit it was quit simple and intuitive. During the installation process Vista went to the internet to downloaded Drivers for pre-installed hardwear, which I thought was way cool, save me from having to do it! the installation took about an hour, and will vary depending on the read speed of your dvd/cd -+RW...Its been 5 days now and everything is working is perfectly...Im still exploring the OS and see whats new...I'll give it a thumbs up!

Now to answer you question about adding hardwear...Anytime you change mother boards your going to have that problem, as when you Validate your OS, it'll binds itself to the Mother Board. Im not sure how to get around that once you've Validated an OS...but as I installed this verson of Vista OEM was up to me if and when I wanted to validate it...You have have 3 days to Activate the OS (which you dont have a chose)...and its your choise to Register and Validate the softwear...You can choise not to Register and or Validate the OS...but if you dont, you'll have issues when you want to recieve updates and or download programs from MS...My advise would be...up grade your current computer to the hardwear specs you think you'll need or want...then do a complete installation with the OEM verison of Vista...I think everything will work out ok for you then!!!

If anyone would like the link to the Person (on Ebay) I baught Vista Home Premium for $125 including shipping...let me know, thats a great deal...and it was no problem installing the OEM version of Vista Home Premium, anyone who can read and follow simple instructions can do it!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLESgoneWILD View Post
Now to answer you question about adding hardwear...Anytime you change mother boards your going to have that problem, as when you Validate your OS, it'll binds itself to the Mother Board. Im not sure how to get around that once you've Validated an OS...but as I installed this verson of Vista OEM was up to me if and when I wanted to validate it...You have have 3 days to Activate the OS (which you dont have a chose)...and its your choise to Register and Validate the softwear...You can choise not to Register and or Validate the OS...but if you dont, you'll have issues when you want to recieve updates and or download programs from MS...My advise would be...up grade your current computer to the hardwear specs you think you'll need or want...then do a complete installation with the OEM verison of Vista...I think everything will work out ok for you then!!!
Very nice.... I amy have to splurge and upgrade myself.

As for the part in bold above, I am not sure on the specifics with XP, if you had bought the full version, not just the OEM version, you could change out your motherboard and/or processor and not have any problems; however, with the OEM version it does exactly what you described above creating an authentication error when you swap out parts. This also prevents you from pulling a hard drive out of an old computer and just installing it in a new computer.

I assume the OEM version of vista operates the same way, but wasn't sure about the full version...
Old 02-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
can someone fill me in, what does OEM stand for...?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
can someone fill me in, what does OEM stand for...?
Original Equipment Manufacturer.

In terms of software, it is a version of the operating system intended for installation on a single new computer. Granted, you can install it on any computer, new or used, but technically, it is intended for use on new machines only...
Old 02-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
IROC'em

Drives: Chevy 1500 5.7L Vortec
I hear its security system is buggy, any truth in it?
IROC'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
I'll stick with my Windows95!!!!!!

(jk.) Haven't seen Vista yet...hearing great things though. I just can't bring myself to give any more money to Microsoft.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #12
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

It dose seem to ask for promision alot to access certain programs...not sure why, although im sure theres a good reason for it...it can be anoying but you get used to it!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:24 AM   #13
ChevyNut

im all for the security you get used to after a while. it is kinda annoying at the begining. I like the button that displays all the windows at an angle so you can pick which one you are after. Its alot like a mac but with the ease of windows if that makes any sense.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Ya that angled window is cool, espically when you have a zillion windows open, you can skrol through them very easily and pick the one you want!!!