Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-25-2023, 06:59 AM   #15
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
To me the Alcantara is cooler and grips better even on the shifter and wheel.

The only leather I liked was in my RAM that was real leather and you could tell

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 07:12 AM   #16
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Better? Not necessarily. It's cooler to the touch so in hot climates that's a plus, especially on the steering wheel and shifter. It will get dirty quicker just because of the oils and dirt on our hands. Sonax Alcantara cleaner is your best friend when it comes to cleaning the steering wheel and shifter.

Some folks will tell you that it doesn't last but that's bullshit. I had 105k miles on my 2015 1LE and the suede steering wheel and shifter still looked great. I just made sure to clean them once a month.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 07:13 AM   #17
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
I think most here have missed the point/intention of alcantara and that is grip. It was made for the track, where you don't want to be sliding around in your seat while flying around the corner. Or lose grip on the wheel because your hands are sweaty. Typically in racing you have gloves on = alcantara wheel was intended for the track = was really intended to be touched with gloves. Same goes for the shift knob.

Then people will argue "well I never take me car to a track nor do I plan to". Whether you like it or not, the ZL1 was born & bred to be on a track, same with the 1LE package for the SS.

Lastly, the leather in most domestic vehicles is "great" until you experience something with VERY nice leather (i.e. Porsche)... then it seems rather garbage imo.

Gone but not forgotten: ‘17 Camaro 2SS Yellow 6speed
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 07:16 AM   #18
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Better? Not necessarily. It's cooler to the touch so in hot climates that's a plus, especially on the steering wheel and shifter. It will get dirty quicker just because of the oils and dirt on our hands. Sonax Alcantara cleaner is your best friend when it comes to cleaning the steering wheel and shifter.
Correct. Bare skin on an alcanatara wheel is asinine. Would I expect anyone to wear race gloves on their way to the grocery store? Of course not... but it really goes to show how this poser lifestyles are sold to the consumer. I'm sorry but its no different than someone who buys a 2500 hd and its never seen a ball on the rear, or something who buy offroad X vehicle and it never leaves pavement.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:18 AM   #19
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Correct. Bare skin on an alcanatara wheel is asinine. Would I expect anyone to wear race gloves on their way to the grocery store? Of course not... but it really goes to show how this poser lifestyles are sold to the consumer. I'm sorry but its no different than someone who buys a 2500 hd and its never seen a ball on the rear, or something who buy offroad X vehicle and it never leaves pavement.
Boy you lost me there. I don't see how something that's cooler to the touch is poser. Some people just like the feel of it better also. Poser would someone that buys a Rubicon and then lifts it, puts 22" wheels and rubber band off-road tires on it. That's a poser. Alcantara steering wheel and seats? Nah.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 07:21 AM   #20
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Boy you lost me there. I don't see how something that's cooler to the touch is poser. Some people just like the feel of it better also. Poser would someone that buys a Rubicon and then lifts it, puts 22" wheels and rubber band off-road tires on it. That's a poser. Alcantara steering wheel and seats? Nah.
Read my other post. An alcantara wheel was intended to be used on a track (with race gloves). You're not really not supposed to be rubbing skin/oils all over the material.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:40 AM   #21
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Moral of the story, do not wear shorts or short sleeve shirts in your ZL1

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 07:45 AM   #22
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
I think most here have missed the point/intention of alcantara and that is grip. It was made for the track, where you don't want to be sliding around in your seat while flying around the corner. Or lose grip on the wheel because your hands are sweaty. Typically in racing you have gloves on = alcantara wheel was intended for the track = was really intended to be touched with gloves. Same goes for the shift knob.

Then people will argue "well I never take me car to a track nor do I plan to". Whether you like it or not, the ZL1 was born & bred to be on a track, same with the 1LE package for the SS.

This is the reason my wife like the Alcantara more.... in her words "my butt don't slide all over the seat in turns". I agree, you are more planted in the car when the car is truly performing at it's best on the track.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:11 AM   #23
JT6Speed

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS M6
If I bought a 1LE, one of my biggest complaints would have been the Alcantara wheel and shift knob. For touch surfaces I prefer leather all day. Seats on the other hand, it wouldn't be as much of a big deal to me, although I tend to prefer cloth.

Ordered: April 2022-----Built: July 2022-----Delivered: September 2022

-Dual-Mode Exhaust (NPP)
-Red Painted Calipers (J6F)
-5 Split Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum Wheels (56W)
-Chrome Camaro Logo Fender Badge
-Second Generation Front Splitter in Satin Black
JT6Speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:15 AM   #24
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Someday I'm going to clean the wheel and seats with the Sonax cleaner I bought 4 years ago

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 12:22 PM   #25
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
That’s pretty much what I thought. I don’t have any experience with it. I have had or have 4 GMs with leather wheels and all but one held up well, even in Texas.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 12:58 PM   #26
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
Quote:
Read my other post. An alcantara wheel was intended to be used on a track (with race gloves). You're not really not supposed to be rubbing skin/oils all over the material.

Microsoft Surface laptops & tablets have alcantara keyboards. That's inherently bare skin on it all day long.

Just a thought.
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 02:09 PM   #27
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
Microsoft Surface laptops & tablets have alcantara keyboards. That's inherently bare skin on it all day long.

Just a thought.
You learned me something today. I had to look it up and that is disgusting.

Old 08-25-2023, 03:46 PM   #28
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
I like my alcanara for its feel when using it. I do like the leather for longer times between cleaning.
I clean my shifter and wheel every 2weeks so it doesnt get to dirty and thats with pretty limited driving that I do with the car. If I had a leather shifter and wheel. I probably would clean it every other month since its easier to clean and no worries about the fibers getting all matted down
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote