Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-23-2023, 03:31 PM   #43
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
h018871: Thanks...admittedly, 2 years has been focused on rebuilding an Evo 5 project...time to get this one back on the road!

Great Saturday today - lots of work. Finished trans install - no more tranny jack!

Exhaust manifolds went in (had to pull the passenger side due to the spiraling dip stick conflict):

and

If I had thought of it, I may have ground the ports a bit more smooth:

But who knows if that would help based on the tiny 'collector' 650+ HP runs through.

Also nearly complete with the alternator...the side block bolt is a challenge. Likely could have installed this on the engine stand. Same with the balancer...

Also torqued the camshaft bolt (48 ft/lbs +90 degrees) once we had the driveshaft back in (stepped on the brakes in gear).
Old 09-28-2023, 01:12 PM   #44
Tim M

New battery ordered since the 2018 model and sitting for 2 years is dead.

Also, installed the balancer tonight - easy, peasy with the correct tools!

Old 10-01-2023, 11:47 AM   #45
Tim M

Next is a new waterpump/assembly...bit of a challenge getting all the hose connections simultaneously:

Installed with pulleys/tensioner:

Even Chevy realizes the thermostat barb is fragile - yellow tagged. Within is a Katech 174 degree thermostat:

And the coolant tank:

Exhaust is in position to be lifted in to place...real challenge with two set of hands...may enlist a helper...
Old 10-03-2023, 12:00 PM   #46
Tim M

Rockauto came to the rescue in record time for overseas shipping! Possibly the final piece of the puzzle...mechanical fuel pump lifter:

Need to check the installed height with the 32% fuel lobe the Cam Motion camshaft comes with...
Old 10-05-2023, 03:23 PM   #47
Tim M

In the fuel pump lifter went...added an LS7 valve cap (shim / .060 inch) and checked full lift and on the 'heel' of the cam. No issue so installed the fuel pump for the final time and pulled the new fuel lines out of the bag.

Shim:

Fuel feed:

Fuel cross over:

Expect good progress tomorrow...getting chilly here - no salt on the roads yet!
Old 10-06-2023, 03:14 PM   #48
Tim M

Assembled the recently blueprinted LT4 injectors into the rails:

and installed:

Old 10-07-2023, 08:24 PM   #49
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Very slow movement due to travel and another project...

Received my precision oil dumbbell...because I needed one and seems like a good idea:

The custom Cam Motion camshaft arrived. Smooth idle, yet more power, and no Displacement on Demand lifters! Hoping for an occasional/reliable 7000 rpm redline:

Specs:

Also ordered a couple of fuel pump shims due to the 32% fuel pump lobe on the cam...one from Comp Cams (6 MM) and the other from GM:

Also dropped the block (love the aluminum weight!), crank, pistons to a trusted machine shop for reconfirmation of specs before heading to assembly. I haven't gotten the rods prepped for the same treatment. Hopefully it will make 650 CHP...;-)
From memory that cam looks like my cam specs, but I did not get a fancy cam card (cause I custom ordered it) LOL... it is an Oldman Cam. I luv that fancy oil pump. You also answered my question about the LS bearings...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 01:41 AM   #50
Tim M

Oldman - glad to help!

Applied battery power to the car after 2 years of sitting - no magic smoke escaped!

Also installed new O2 sensors - replacing the previous that were possibly oil contaminated from the failure:

Old 10-15-2023, 06:40 AM   #51
Tim M

Great progress this weekend...exhaust is on and majority of the ancillaries along with the rad fan installed.

Pulled the valve covers to 'prelub' the valvetrain a bit and came across only what an idiot would do - messing up the nice valve cover gasket. Not sure how I did that, but glad I found it:

Swapped the 2.7 inch Griptec pulley for OEM size 2.5 inch. Expect the larger engine/longer duration cam to 'lose' quite a bit of boost. Very quick shipping - kudos to Griptec!:

10 qts going in!...No leaks yet!:

Ready for the blower!:

Last edited by Tim M; 03-10-2024 at 03:18 PM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 01:16 PM   #52
Tim M

Success! Laid the blower in place and snapped all the other connections home, filled it with water (coolant later to avoid mess if any leaks):

...did a couple of no fuel 'starts' to build oil pressure and then hit the 'key'! Rumbled to life after over 2 years dormant with a bit of lifter clatter...(video below):

Let is idle for a few minutes and then mild revs to 2500 rpm...some misses as it is still on the old 376 program, but no worries. Lifters stopped clattering and shut it down at 195 degrees with a smile! Warm oil pressure was 35 psi at idle. Now draining the oil for fresh batch (10 quarts is a lot of oil!):

Today was a long time coming!

Old 10-19-2023, 04:44 PM   #53
Tim M

Got the car on the ground finally - took some time as it was as high as the jackstands would go...

Then commenced with a short drive for some break in decels...reminds me how nice this car is not driving it for '2' years! Clutch so light, ride so smooth, V8 music...hope the engine holds together!

Few more parts installed...last one will be the blower reservoir (not making any boost for awhile so...)

Plan to upload the latest Janetty program and get a few miles on it this weekend.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:28 AM   #54
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post

Swapped the 2.7 inch Griptec pulley for OEM size 2.5 inch. Expect the larger engine/longer duration cam to 'loose' quite a bit of boost. Very quick shipping - kudos to Griptec!:
Don't focus on the 'boost' number because it's really not important. What actually matters is how much air you're pushing, and going from a 2.7 blower pulley down to a 2.5 means spinning the blower faster, and therefore pushing more air.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 02:58 PM   #55
Tim M

wnta1ss: Good point. Likely a better response for my change back to OEM is I should no longer be limited due to compression/low timing on pump gas I run. The blower is certainly now on the small side so...we will see how it turns out.
Old 10-26-2023, 01:48 PM   #56
Tim M

Decided to go ahead and add the Rotofab (non-Big Gulp) intake...been sitting in the office for like 3 years!

And now 150 miles on the combination...still working on refining the initial tune: