#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #155
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
...and they are all a stretch when it comes to drone, even with the back seat down on a ZLE. We've mentioned since the beginning of this thread "buyer beware". It's not the way a ZL1 should sound.
And herein lies what I believe to be the biggest problem with this whole thread. It should have stuck to "Here's what I run, if you want to try it, here's the link, and here's what it sounds like, buyer beware". Yet post after post in this thread has turned to demeaning other exhaust companies setups and the users who've chosen them. Even the title itself proclaims it to be the best sounding without regard to personal taste or the rather large downfalls to the system.

I get it. If I had a handful of people install something solely because of me, I would feel a little responsible for their results, positive or negative. But the constant sales spin on this product has gotten old.

If we're going to start adding personal opinion here, I personally believe that all of the videos I've seen of this Kooks contraption, including the one at the top of the previous page, are nothing special. In fact, they lacks seem to lack the pissed off growl that most LT4 setups have. Now maybe that's due to bad recording or editing or environment etc. but either way, the title should be changed to "This is how I think the ZL1 should sound!" or similar. The original post should at least be edited to show the bad testimonies and/or possible issues and buyer beware cases. There is a HIGH probability that nothing was wrong with the gentlemen's 1LE that was unbearable to drive - that's just the characteristics of this "system". Even the word "system" is a stretch because it really is just some piping and canisters from Autozone. You can bet that NO thought was given to sound, tone, volume, drone etc. when they made it. If it was, it would be $1200+ just like every other quality axle back out there because Kooks is NOT afraid to charge big dough for their quality engineered products - they already make the most expensive Headers/X Pipes etc. for GM vehicles, if only second to ARH in some applications. As I've said before, this system was made to fit their X Pipe for max effort builds or all in one solutions which cater to some people. I know two people that ran the Kooks all in one and have changed to Borla because the drone and sound was just unbearable.

Those are my $.02.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #156
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
And herein lies what I believe to be the biggest problem with this whole thread. It should have stuck to "Here's what I run, if you want to try it, here's the link, and here's what it sounds like, buyer beware". Yet post after post in this thread has turned to demeaning other exhaust companies setups and the users who've chosen them. Even the title itself proclaims it to be the best sounding without regard to personal taste or the rather large downfalls to the system.

I get it. If I had a handful of people install something solely because of me, I would feel a little responsible for their results, positive or negative. But the constant sales spin on this product has gotten old.

If we're going to start adding personal opinion here, I personally believe that all of the videos I've seen of this Kooks contraption, including the one at the top of the previous page, are nothing special. In fact, they lacks seem to lack the pissed off growl that most LT4 setups have. Now maybe that's due to bad recording or editing or environment etc. but either way, the title should be changed to "This is how I think the ZL1 should sound!" or similar. The original post should at least be edited to show the bad testimonies and/or possible issues and buyer beware cases. There is a HIGH probability that nothing was wrong with the gentlemen's 1LE that was unbearable to drive - that's just the characteristics of this "system". Even the word "system" is a stretch because it really is just some piping and canisters from Autozone. You can bet that NO thought was given to sound, tone, volume, drone etc. when they made it. If it was, it would be $1200+ just like every other quality axle back out there because Kooks is NOT afraid to charge big dough for their quality engineered products - they already make the most expensive Headers/X Pipes etc. for GM vehicles, if only second to ARH in some applications. As I've said before, this system was made to fit their X Pipe for max effort builds or all in one solutions which cater to some people. I know two people that ran the Kooks all in one and have changed to Borla because the drone and sound was just unbearable.

Those are my $.02.
Sorry I gave a playful thread title that didn't contain disclaimers for every possible situation one could encounter. And also in subsequent pages where people questioned the drone characteristics I indeed told them there was some present, but not outside what I expected from previous experience with this style of muffler. I can't make you hear my exact cabin over the phone, but I promise you my car with the A10 is nowhere near unbearable, I drive it every chance I get, and removing this system has never once crossed my mind. Also there is only one person in this thread that actually had his system removed, and his case sounds very extreme, which made me question his install. There are about 10 people that have personally contacted me off my video here and in a Facebook group page that have installed this and rave just the way I do. It's not like everyone who installs this hates it. That's far from the truth. And since you have such an issue with the way this thread has gone and the "sales spin", feel free to stop visiting it and adding comments. You've been the most demeaning from my recollection, with your constant Autozone comments and this exhaust not meeting your imaginary price threshold of $1200 comments. You like Corsa. I get it. As you can see from this thread, plenty of people besides me dont and are looking for a different sound, a difference you can actually hear. I'm not going to go back and add disclaimers. The questions about drone were answered early in the thread, by myself and others. If one wants this system there will be some, but nothing near unbearable in my opinion. Obviously drone is subjective and differs from A10 to m6, with or without secondary cats, etc., so I can only provide my opinion and videos.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #157
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
As l said before....no upsets at my end. I've been wrenching on cars for 49 years....l'm 65 now. I knew there was a possibility there would be issue with the Kooks..but l was willing to try it, because l like the sound. I also liked the look, and l certainly didn't find the material or welds on the Kooks system to be cheap or "auto zone." But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I appreciated everyone's input, and having heard a system on a 6th gen locally, l wasn't afraid to try it. lt just didn't work for MY car. l hope that my input will assist another ZLE person in deciding. It's not like l spent $6k on a system on bad advice. I have a local person with a 6th gen already interested in the Kooks for his car, so my loss may be even more minimal. I really love the car...even as is...and will continue to "post Kooks."

The reality for me is l'm not going to be racing or tracking the car, and really don't need much more power than it offers stock. Better sound would have been nice....but it's not a goal l have to keep striving for...

This is a great site with really nice members. My exhaust flop is no big deal in my opinion. l'm still glad to be here and read up on things. I'm much more worried about watching my oil pressure guage than other issues. I bought a 120k mile/10 year extended warranty, and l plan on this being my last performance car. l can afford to buy whatever l want...but l have no plan to do so....l love this ZLE!
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #158
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgi5150 View Post
As l said before....no upsets at my end. I've been wrenching on cars for 49 years....l'm 65 now. I knew there was a possibility there would be issue with the Kooks..but l was willing to try it, because l like the sound. I also liked the look, and l certainly didn't find the material or welds on the Kooks system to be cheap or "auto zone." But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I appreciated everyone's input, and having heard a system on a 6th gen locally, l wasn't afraid to try it. lt just didn't work for MY car. l hope that my input will assist another ZLE person in deciding. It's not like l spent $6k on a system on bad advice. I have a local person with a 6th gen already interested in the Kooks for his car, so my loss may be even more minimal. I really love the car...even as is...and will continue to "post Kooks."

The reality for me is l'm not going to be racing or tracking the car, and really don't need much more power than it offers stock. Better sound would have been nice....but it's not a goal l have to keep striving for...

This is a great site with really nice members. My exhaust flop is no big deal in my opinion. l'm still glad to be here and read up on things. I'm much more worried about watching my oil pressure guage than other issues. I bought a 120k mile/10 year extended warranty, and l plan on this being my last performance car. l can afford to buy whatever l want...but l have no plan to do so....l love this ZLE!
It's all good... we mentioned the risks early on and you knew going in what "might" be the case which is why I was really interested to hear your take after the install. Thanks for the review as it will help others making their decision. Now on to having fun with your car. The stock exhaust isn't bad at all, but does looks like crap.

...and for all the talk about A10 vs M6... I've owned both, and a transmission isn't going to change the characteristics of drone. It comes in at the same RPM on either whether it's 3rd gear on one or 7th gear on the other.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #159
mdmoore23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
It's all good... we mentioned the risks early on and you knew going in what "might" be the case which is why I was really interested to hear your take after the install. Thanks for the review as it will help others making their decision. Now on to having fun with your car. The stock exhaust isn't bad at all, but does looks like crap.

...and for all the talk about A10 vs M6... I've owned both, and a transmission isn't going to change the characteristics of drone. It comes in at the same RPM on either whether it's 3rd gear on one or 7th gear on the other.
I have to disagree with the A10 vs m6 comment. I'm not trying to say A10 eliminates it. Just saying the amount of time spent in that range is different. For instance if you have drone in the around 1800 to 2000. The A10 does not spend the same amount of normal driving time in that range as an m6. This is also the common consensus from the people I've talked to who've installed this axleback. A10 guys have have all described it as I would. More drone over stock but not anything to fuss about. The two m6 guys are in this thread. One removed it and went back to stock. One resolved the issue with custom j-pipes.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #160
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
I have to disagree with the A10 vs m6 comment. I'm not trying to say A10 eliminates it. Just saying the amount of time spent in that range is different. For instance if you have drone in the around 1800 to 2000. The A10 does not spend the same amount of normal driving time in that range as an m6. This is also the common consensus from the people I've talked to who've installed this axleback. A10 guys have have all described it as I would. More drone over stock but not anything to fuss about. The two m6 guys are in this thread. One removed it and went back to stock. One resolved the issue with custom j-pipes.
I give up...
Old 12-21-2018, 10:05 PM   #161
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Lol! Well it’s good to see there are options. Heck I saw a video on the Black hart system and it looks sick! Sounded good too. Don’t know about drone but I’m sure there is but some don’t care if it does or doesn’t.

On my 73 camaro I had bullet mufflers. Sounds crazy from outside but the drone was terrible. I didn’t care for about 2 years but then later I wanted a different sound. Shoot I’ve even changed my mind on wheels, engine set up. NA car vs Nitrous vs SC. It’s whatever your in the mood for.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:13 PM   #162
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Lol! Well it’s good to see there are options. Heck I saw a video on the Black hart system and it looks sick! Sounded good too. Don’t know about drone but I’m sure there is but some don’t care if it does or doesn’t.

On my 73 camaro I had bullet mufflers. Sounds crazy from outside but the drone was terrible. I didn’t care for about 2 years but then later I wanted a different sound. Shoot I’ve even changed my mind on wheels, engine set up. NA car vs Nitrous vs SC. It’s whatever your in the mood for.
That’s basically what the Kook axle back is, bullet mufflers. Straight through glass packs.
staples87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #163
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by staples87 View Post
That’s basically what the Kook axle back is, bullet mufflers. Straight through glass packs.
I think they're a little fancier than a glass pack, but they are for sure a straight through design. I'd think the Flowmaster Outlaw would be very similar.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #164
JonDaddy82

Updated warm clip for the masses, prolly not going to be driving it much these days with the temps dropping some more.

https://youtu.be/9SlO43EQ19E

2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
Old 12-25-2018, 05:48 AM   #165
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
Updated warm clip for the masses, prolly not going to be driving it much these days with the temps dropping some more.

https://youtu.be/9SlO43EQ19E
Sounds good!
Old 12-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #166
Lugojf

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Sound clip, inside the car with the windows up.

(Kooks Axle Back exhaust and Borla Cat Delete pipes)

Lugojf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:42 AM   #167
mdmoore23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugojf View Post
Sound clip, inside the car with the windows up.

(Kooks Axle Back exhaust and Borla Cat Delete pipes)

So, what is your opinion on the drone?
Old 12-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #168
JonDaddy82

I'm curious to hear his thoughts as well. Seems to start to drone up bad about :32 in.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily