Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-22-2021, 10:22 PM   #29
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
For autox, I assume roughly $100 an event, with tires being the biggest changer in that amount.
$100 for local autocrosses makes sense. For a weekend national autox event, I budget $500/event and $900 for double events (Spring and Summer Nats) and $1800 for a Nationals/Finale combo.

Fuel
Tolls (northeast and/or upper midwest)
Hotel
Food (considerably more than staying at home)
Entry fee
Tire usage
Extra repairs and maintenance that I probably wouldn't be doing if I didn't compete with the car

Having a codriver helps a lot.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #30
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
I think it's definitely worth it to check out Haggerty or others that were mentioned, even for HPDE. I'm pretty sure they don't cover actual competition so you'd be on your own there either way.
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #31
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Yes, HPDE events are expensive. But these costs are embellished a bit based on my experience. And cost can vary greatly depending on event organizer. For instance, PCA events are roughly $500 for 3 days while Hooked on Driving I just booked a 3 day event for $1200. With PCA, instructors still pay (at a reduced rate) which makes it a bit cheaper for everyone else, while with HoD, instructors are free so everyone else eats some of that cost. I'm sure there are other reasons for difference in price too. I've never done NASA or SCCA so can't speak to those event costs.

So if I breakdown some of the anticipated costs of an HPDE weekend (again, 3 days! which to me increases the value proposition) and use a PCA event as an example...

PCA 3 day event: $500
Track Insurance: $500
Track Alignment: $100
10 qts. Mobil 1: $50
PF64 Filter: $6
Motul 660 1L: $75/3 events = $25
Dexron Gear Oil (Diff Fluid): $20/4 events = $5
Fuel @ 2 tanks/day: $300
Goodyear SC3R: $1500/3 events = $500
OEM Brake Pads: $350/4 events = $87.50
TOTAL COST FOR 3 DAYS: $2073.50 or ~$700/day

Probably some other costs I'm not accounting for, but far from $2500/day. And my estimates of how many events fluids/tires/brakes last may be off, but still...

It's an expensive hobby.
Cars are an expensive hobby.
Drag racing is an expensive hobby.
AutoX is an expensive hobby.

Cost is high, but, to me, value is also high as the experience of an HPDE event is second to none. Some of the most fun I've ever had is out there on the track.
Guys trying to do this a bit cheaper check out track night in America events and Haggerty for insurance. I normally pay $170 or so for three 20 minute track sessions and then about $175 for insurance for the day. As for wear and tear on my 1le, I've done about 8 of these in the past two years total and my tires are about half life. I did get the track alignment and my car now has 6k miles as of yesterday's drive to work. You definetely need to change brake fluid as well. But these #'s listed here are definetely exaggerated. It can be pricy but it spreads out over time for me, nothing that breaks my bank.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #32
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
That Haggerty link quoted me $327 for up to 3 days at $46000 coverage and 10% deductible. That's a lot less than I though it would be. That was for Roebling Road Raceway.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:00 PM   #33
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Not meaning to derail this very informative thread on insurance thoughts and options. But at what point does a person look at installing a roll bar? I have done some searching but can't seem to find the answer?
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #34
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Just did a track day at NCM for CamaroFest. Costs where:

Event Ticket = $300
Castrol SRF x2 = $120
Labor = $150
TrackArmor wrap = $25
Put stock pads back on = Free
Put stock wheels and tires back on = Free

Drove there as it’s about an hour and a half away. Other than fuel and lunch that was it.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #35
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Not meaning to derail this very informative thread on insurance thoughts and options. But at what point does a person look at installing a roll bar? I have done some searching but can't seem to find the answer?
I'm definitely no expert but I would say when you start to deviate from and/or modify factory safety equipment, i.e. no air bags, full fixed racing seat with harness etc. then a roll bar/cage is a good investment. The factory protection is pretty good in Gen 5/6 cars so I'm thinking it's more than adequate for Auto X and moderate level HPDE type racing. Start running aggressively like Nicky Racerboy? Good idea to take safety equipment to next level.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:58 PM   #36
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I'm definitely no expert but I would say when you start to deviate from and/or modify factory safety equipment, i.e. no air bags, full fixed racing seat with harness etc. then a roll bar/cage is a good investment. The factory protection is pretty good in Gen 5/6 cars so I'm thinking it's more than adequate for Auto X and moderate level HPDE type racing. Start running aggressively like Nicky Racerboy? Good idea to take safety equipment to next level.
Thank you. As for insurance, I will be going with Hagerty as well. Seems like a solid company to trust. Great thread btw guys!
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:02 AM   #37
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Maybe as an experienced intermediate or when you move up to running R-compound tires or possibly those 200-treadwear autocross specials???

Norm