Phastek Performance

Old 07-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #57
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
what did i do this my poor car haha and no the cage isnt green its white
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2021, 01:41 AM   #58
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Just have a lot of patience for a lot of test fits and OJT etc. Make sure you check seat height with helmet on and belt length with Hans etc.

With my setup and only one seat the car lost about 50lbs. Now the driver needs to lose about 30. Race weight is 3790 with driver and 1/4 tank.
Only 50 pounds of weight savings after deleting the passenger seat, rear seat and exchanging the driver side stock OEM seat with a racing seat?

I thought the passenger seat alone weighs 55 pounds, the rear seating 30lbs (upper and lower sections) and there was about 25lbs diff between a racing seat and the stock OEM drivers seat

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 12-08-2021 at 02:04 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:37 AM   #59
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Only 50 pounds of weight savings after deleting the passenger seat, rear seat and exchanging the driver side stock OEM seat with a racing seat?

I thought the passenger seat alone weighs 55 pounds, the rear seating 30lbs (upper and lower sections) and there was about 25lbs diff between a racing seat and the stock OEM drivers seat
By the time you add a seat mount bracket (to floor), side brackets (seat to floor mount for most seats), and maybe a slider, you end up with a race seat assembly weighing more or less the same as the driver's seat. If you do it for the passenger, too, it's close to a wash. Just removing the passenger seat of course gains you I think 55#. That said, most go with the race seats for better routing of the 5 or 6-point belts especially the shoulder & submarine.

Personally, coming from years of fully caged drag cars with cage mounted seats, I won't go race seats until I do a full welded-in cage with the front seat(s) mounted properly to the rollcage cross-bar.

Heck, I can't even get out the window in the car with helmet on! Not to take the thread down another path, but, if I caged a Camaro, I'd cut down the door and / or put a roof escape hatch.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #60
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
By the time you add a seat mount bracket (to floor), side brackets (seat to floor mount for most seats), and maybe a slider, you end up with a race seat assembly weighing more or less the same as the driver's seat. If you do it for the passenger, too, it's close to a wash. Just removing the passenger seat of course gains you I think 55#. That said, most go with the race seats for better routing of the 5 or 6-point belts especially the shoulder & submarine.

Personally, coming from years of fully caged drag cars with cage mounted seats, I won't go race seats until I do a full welded-in cage with the front seat(s) mounted properly to the rollcage cross-bar.

Heck, I can't even get out the window in the car with helmet on! Not to take the thread down another path, but, if I caged a Camaro, I'd cut down the door and / or put a roof escape hatch.
Understood. Yeah I was wondering how much weight can really be saved by swapping time seat for another.

I’m thinking of just removing the passenger seat on track days and getting a lightweight lithium battery (in addition to removing the rear seat). Only problem is I don’t know how bad it is to take all that weight off the passenger side of the vehicle. It would only be about a 90 pound difference I would think, so I gues it can’t make too much difference either way

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 12-08-2021 at 08:44 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:18 AM   #61
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Going to race seats is not all about saving weight. Its a safety mod, not to mention holding you in the seat better, better feedback, etc. Depending how you do it and other safety features you add like a roll bar you may or may not see some weight savings. Like I said I did see some net weight saving when I removed the passenger seat and put in just the drivers race seat and used a harness bar. The way I did it using BK mounts etc is not exactly the lightest method either. Now that I have both seats installed and a roll bar it's probably 50 lbs heavier than stock.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #62
kropscamaro16

haha yea i did cage seat harness brackets but only driver side may do passenger in the future and yea weight is probably around same thats why i also added a antigravity battery did you weigh your car yet?
Old 12-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #63
RUQWIKR

Problem with most roll bars I see in these cars is the are not mounted very well with something like a 1/8th" 6x6 steel plate on BOTH sides of the floor pan, either properly welded in or through-bolted. NHRA, SCCA, NASA, etc. rules vary. As mentioned earlier, I personally wouldn't put aftermarket seats in not mounted to the cross-bar of a PROPER roll bar / cage nor would I put in non-containment seats (head side restraints).

Once again, it's all up to each of us personally on what risk we want to take. I know the factory seats have been thoroughly tested in high energy crash events as part of validation. Furthermore, there have been many well documented high speed on track and on street incidents with the seat doing its job. I don't have that warm fuzzy with a lot of aftermarket stuff.

I run a Brey Krause harness bar with Scroth Profi II ASM FE 4-point with a HANS - ALONG WITH my stock 3-point seat belt...if the BK bar and / or harness has issues, maybe my stock belt, with pretensioner and the airbags, will help out in an incident.

Bolted in (or welded in) roll bars have a lot of mass that does not want to stay in place in a crash, so, I'd want to make sure it is properly mounted. Same with the seats.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #64
kropscamaro16

yea alot of places in socal wont let you run race seats with a harness with only a harness bar they require a half of full cage bolt in or weld in

nasa is getting more strict with safety also requiring fire systems also next year i read

i have a nice little setup and i feel alot safer now and held in tighter so im happy but hoping i never have to use/test out any of my safety gear ever...may look into full suit and shoes next year as i get more serious with time attack series
Old 12-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #65
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
yea alot of places in socal wont let you run race seats with a harness with only a harness bar they require a half of full cage bolt in or weld in

nasa is getting more strict with safety also requiring fire systems also next year i read

i have a nice little setup and i feel alot safer now and held in tighter so im happy but hoping i never have to use/test out any of my safety gear ever...may look into full suit and shoes next year as i get more serious with time attack series
Like I mentioned, just because it is bolted in or welded in, doesn't mean it is done correctly regarding rule legality let alone mechanically able to withstand a crash.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:55 AM   #66
kropscamaro16

oh yea i understand i just feel its better than nothing and especially better than just stock 1ss seats with stock seat belts it was horrible

at least mine was from garage therapy not studio rsr

had a guy from there tell me yea these are mostly for show if you flipped over you would probably die haha wtf who says that
Old 12-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #67
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Going to race seats is not all about saving weight. Its a safety mod, not to mention holding you in the seat better, better feedback, etc. Depending how you do it and other safety features you add like a roll bar you may or may not see some weight savings. Like I said I did see some net weight saving when I removed the passenger seat and put in just the drivers race seat and used a harness bar. The way I did it using BK mounts etc is not exactly the lightest method either. Now that I have both seats installed and a roll bar it's probably 50 lbs heavier than stock.

Yes totally agree the largest advantage of a race seat is by far stability.
I’ve been debating the race seat so I am more stable while driving, I do have a four point harness which is a lot better than the stock seatbelt obviously, just not sure if I want the aggravation and annoyance of a race seat for summer daily street driving. Unfortunately there are not any race seats I can sit in and try locally in town. But I would be open to one that is comfortable. I’m not sure if any you have a reclined feature or not as I have not done any series looking yet.

Also thanks for the clarification, I did not realize you had two racing seats now.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #68
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Yes totally agree the largest advantage of a race seat is by far stability.
I’ve been debating the race seat so I am more stable while driving, I do have a four point harness which is a lot better than the stock seatbelt obviously, just not sure if I want the aggravation and annoyance of a race seat for summer daily street driving. Unfortunately there are not any race seats I can sit in and try locally in town. But I would be open to one that is comfortable. I’m not sure if any you have a reclined feature or not as I have not done any series looking yet.

Also thanks for the clarification, I did not realize you had two racing seats now.

just come down to socal we have a ton of race shops down here including sparco
Old 12-09-2021, 06:34 PM   #69
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
just come down to socal we have a ton of race shops down here including sparco
I wish, but Canada and the USA’s two worst all-time leaders won’t let me travel because I’m not fully vaccinated with a vaccine that doesn’t even fully work
Old 12-09-2021, 06:39 PM   #70
kropscamaro16

Quote:
I wish, but Canada and the USA’s two worst all-time leaders won’t let me travel because I’m not fully vaccinated with a vaccine that doesn’t even fully work

well i cant come to canada either if it makes you feel better lol sorry man!