Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-20-2023, 12:24 AM   #1
CorvetteC6

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro SS Auto
Question AFM delete kit - need help

Dear All ! Could you please be so kind and help me to choose only minimal options to get rid of the AFM?

I would delete AFM but save the VVT. I mean minimal changes in ECM.

In my view it's needed just to change the LS3 camshaft, replace all lifters to the LS3 (12698945), change VLOM and disable AFM from the ECM. Valve springs could be kept and pushrods' lengths could be saved as is.

Please correct me if these 4 options are not enough to delete AFM.

In addition,

- Do I need install just stock LS3 camshaft GM 12623063 or GPI LS3 LS SS1 cam is the same hardware and much more preferable ? Or in case of GPI more ECM tune is required ?
CorvetteC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:05 AM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I'm no expert but I do hang here. By far the easiest way to delete AFM is with a simple tune. This would fit the 'minimal' bill. Changing a camshaft is not, in and of itself, necessary to delete AFM. Certainly if you were wanting a bigger cam then yes, AFM lifters should go and all the supporting mods needs to to be seriously considered - push rods, proper lifters, appropriate valve springs for the new cam, possibly trunnions, etc.

Someone can correct me if I'm too far off here.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:12 AM   #3
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Yes. The minimal way to do it is to just tune out the AFM program which disables the AFM in the ECM. But then you will still have those crappy AFM lifters in there. Suggest you swap out the AFM lifters for the GM Performance ones, then tune the AFM out in the ECM. By far the cheapest and minimal work needed. No cam change is needed, unless you want more power from a bigger cam. Just my .02.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:20 AM   #4
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Right on Moto, It can be as easy as a quick flash of the ecm to shut off the dod right down to a complete system delete. It all depends on what you want to spend. Most will say get rid of the dod/afm completely but is it necessary, no but there is risk of failure.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:48 AM   #5
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I did this exact thing. Lots of options to do this depending on your goals. I suggest contacting Andrew Cammer at GPI. He helped me with my build. A wealth of knowledge.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:55 AM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
I did this exact thing. Lots of options to do this depending on your goals. I suggest contacting Andrew Cammer at GPI. He helped me with my build. A wealth of knowledge.
Totally agreed here. He can get you squared away.. Good place to start.

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 06-23-2023 at 08:54 AM.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:33 PM   #7
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC6 View Post
Dear All ! Could you please be so kind and help me to choose only minimal options to get rid of the AFM?

I would delete AFM but save the VVT. I mean minimal changes in ECM.

In my view it's needed just to change the LS3 camshaft, replace all lifters to the LS3 (12698945), change VLOM and disable AFM from the ECM. Valve springs could be kept and pushrods' lengths could be saved as is.

Please correct me if these 4 options are not enough to delete AFM.

In addition,

- Do I need install just stock LS3 camshaft GM 12623063 or GPI LS3 LS SS1 cam is the same hardware and much more preferable ? Or in case of GPI more ECM tune is required ?
First off, your engine is a l99 not a ls3. So if you want to do a ls3 swap you'll lose your vvt but if you want to keep your vvt then it's a little bit more involved. There's vvt cams out there (GPI is the best) that you can buy that will require a timing lock out block that will need to be installed in the cam phaser that will limit your timing swing but you will still enjoy the benefits of vvt. Personally knowing what I know now I wouldn't keep the vvt just because of the fact that the ls3 conversion is so much simpler then the vvt stuff and it's a lot more tuner friendly. But that being said either way you can do a remote tune with GPI that will get you going. As far as parts go you can get it all in a kit from GPI or you can contact Andrew Cammer at GPI and he will put together a cart for you to purchase online.
https://gwatneyperformance.com/about
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:35 AM   #8
CorvetteC6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Yes. The minimal way to do it is to just tune out the AFM program which disables the AFM in the ECM. But then you will still have those crappy AFM lifters in there. Suggest you swap out the AFM lifters for the GM Performance ones, then tune the AFM out in the ECM. By far the cheapest and minimal work needed. No cam change is needed, unless you want more power from a bigger cam. Just my .02.
Thank you for the detailed reply.

So, just to confirm. I just turn off AFM from ECM and replace AFM lifters to the GM Performance ones.

1) Could you please advise a part number of the GM Performance lifters ? Do you mean 12698945 (stock LS7 lifters) ?

2) Do I need to install LS3-type VLOM or install plugs on the oil lines under VLOM ?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-23-2023, 07:39 AM   #9
CorvetteC6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Right on Moto, It can be as easy as a quick flash of the ecm to shut off the dod right down to a complete system delete. It all depends on what you want to spend. Most will say get rid of the dod/afm completely but is it necessary, no but there is risk of failure.
I use Range OBD Device. First 6 moths it was fine. But now I have rpm float (+/- 100 rpm) in AFM mode and sometimes vibrations coming somewhere from the engine when Range Device is enabled...
Did you left the stock AFM lifters 12698946 or replaced them ?
Old 06-23-2023, 07:41 AM   #10
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Short cuts lead to failure. Contact GPI. They have a complete AFM delete kit that handles this issue and it's a lot safer. Too many have tried short cuts only to drop a valve and a rebuild.

Personally, I'm not a gambler with high performance.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:45 AM   #11
CorvetteC6

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
First off, your engine is a l99 not a ls3. So if you want to do a ls3 swap you'll lose your vvt but if you want to keep your vvt then it's a little bit more involved. There's vvt cams out there (GPI is the best) that you can buy that will require a timing lock out block that will need to be installed in the cam phaser that will limit your timing swing but you will still enjoy the benefits of vvt. Personally knowing what I know now I wouldn't keep the vvt just because of the fact that the ls3 conversion is so much simpler then the vvt stuff and it's a lot more tuner friendly. But that being said either way you can do a remote tune with GPI that will get you going. As far as parts go you can get it all in a kit from GPI or you can contact Andrew Cammer at GPI and he will put together a cart for you to purchase online.
https://gwatneyperformance.com/about
Thank you ! I decided just to disable the AFM and leave my cam. I replaced recently VVT (because it maked trrrrrrr sound on could during first 5-10 minutes of driving. After replacement to the GM OEM part it makes it again... LOL ) and would to save it.

I am not a racer and the best option as mentioned above would be to replace the AFM lifters with GM Performance (if I can find their part number) and disable the AFM from the ECM.

Do I need to install LS3-type VLOM or install plugs on the oil lines under VLOM if I disable AFM from ECM and leave L99 cam?
Old 06-23-2023, 07:49 AM   #12
CorvetteC6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Short cuts lead to failure. Contact GPI. They have a complete AFM delete kit that handles this issue and it's a lot safer. Too many have tried short cuts only to drop a valve and a rebuild.

Personally, I'm not a gambler with high performance.
I would save the VVT, but all kits include LS3 sprocket instead it. I live in Swiss and here are quite serious requirements when inspectors are checking cars
Old 06-23-2023, 09:06 AM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC6 View Post
Thank you for the detailed reply.

So, just to confirm. I just turn off AFM from ECM and replace AFM lifters to the GM Performance ones.

1) Could you please advise a part number of the GM Performance lifters ? Do you mean 12698945 (stock LS7 lifters) ?

2) Do I need to install LS3-type VLOM or install plugs on the oil lines under VLOM ?

Thanks in advance
These are the lifters I run. The ones you were posting are the racing "caddie" lifters, and you don't need them unless you are running upwards of 8000 rpm! And yes, you could just tune out the AFM in the ECU and leave everything else be, I did that for 7 years, and no problems. And I can't tell you how many times I hit the rev limiter while shifting in manual mode! Been lucky, but yea it can be done. But I do suggest, if you want to do it right, do the LS3 conversion and be good from there. This way ALL the AFM/DOD garbage is gone! And when it comes to tuning it with an aftermarket LS3 can, it will be more tuner "friendly". But before you do anything, I would contact "acammer" at GPI, he is our LS/L99 master guy!! Good luck.

https://briantooleyracing.com/chevro...2499225-1.html

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 06-23-2023 at 11:12 AM.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 05:33 PM   #14
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Yeah if I was you I would check into the cam swap a little more if you do decide to do it because I know they are strict on the emissions stuff there. They could even fail you with a tune change.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote