Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 05-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
Front splitter - Handing benefit?

I've noticed at higher speeds that the steering on my stock 2SS seems just a bit nervous. I'm not ready to invest in 1LE sized tires and wheels, so I am wondering if anyone has added a front splitter and noticed an improvement in front end grip and overall steering feel. I'm not looking for canards or anything as aggressive as a ZL1 1LE, but I would consider a normal front end splitter for the lower fascia.

Any opinions are appreciated!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I haven't noticed that at all on mine. At what speed and what does it feel like. What mode is the steering in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP86 View Post
I've noticed at higher speeds that the steering on my stock 2SS seems just a bit nervous. I'm not ready to invest in 1LE sized tires and wheels, so I am wondering if anyone has added a front splitter and noticed an improvement in front end grip and overall steering feel. I'm not looking for canards or anything as aggressive as a ZL1 1LE, but I would consider a normal front end splitter for the lower fascia.

Check your Tire pressures...

Its Here! Finally came home on 3-31-16! Red Hot 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Silver Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, 56W Split Spoke Wheels, Body color Hood vents, Body color Splash Guards and winter protection package.

Ordered 1-28-16: 1100
2-11-2016 :2000
2-15-2016: 3000 TPW of 3/7...That went quick!
2-26-2016: 3400 Status TPW 3/7
3-5-2016 : 3800
3-8-2016 : 4300
3-11-2016 : 4B00
3-15-2016 : 4200
3-22-2016 : 4800
3-29-2016 : 6000!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
GP86

Tire pressure was a bit high. 36-37 PSI after being warmed up on the freeway. Tires are Michelin PS4S on stock wheels.

Speeds were... um, a bit over?

My first experience was in full track mode approaching 150. I would have liked just a bit more confidence and response from the steering here.

Second was around 100-120 with suspension in track mode, and steering in touring or sport mode. I cannot call the steering response bad at all, but I just would like some more immediate response and a less "floaty" feeling in the front end. I don't think track mode steering gives me what I want here either.

I also think part of this is due to cross winds. Lately I've been driving in some heavy winds and this is affecting the feel of the car. Would a front splitter help plant the front end more, and reduce potential for lateral disruption?
Old 05-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP86 View Post

What gm makes isnt really a splitter, more of an air dam. Serves a similar purpose but not nearly agressive as a legit splitter.

With that being said, i added mine last year. Within 2 weeks i was taking a trip 10 hours away.

At highway speeds (70+ mph)and especially behind large trucks, you can tell the amount of stability had increased.

On a track where youre in and out of triple digits, youll be able to notoce it a bit more.

A legit splitter, like what APR offers, the stability would be even more pronounced.

But the air dam, which gm refers to as a lower fascia extension, aka lip spoiler, is a good entry level into front end aeroand is beneficial at speed

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
GP86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
^
Great insight! Thanks!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
NewCamaroOrder

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray 1LE
I wasn't happy with the stock suspension at all. I bought the full 1LE suspension package from GM Performance and had the dealer install it to keep my warranty. It took those idiots 3 days to install it and flash the MRC computer. I could have done in 6 - 8 hours but I wanted the warranty.

The whole deal was $2200 installed and it is a different car. After 2 weeks my before and after measurements showed the car was 1/2 inch lower and it may have settled a little bit more since then. But I've had her 140+ in sport mode and she is solid. No floating feeling, stable and ready.

I have a lip spoiler I'm going to install but I'm waiting for the new rear spoiler to arrive. Balance is important. Depending on what you intend to do with the car the money might be well spent, IMHO.
NewCamaroOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #8
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
I think the stability would be enhanced with upgrades to the suspension, a good alignment and a real splitter not the Lip Spoiler that GM sells.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
GP86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCamaroOrder View Post
I wasn't happy with the stock suspension at all. I bought the full 1LE suspension package from GM Performance and had the dealer install it
This is very interesting. Honestly I never thought about that. I've heard that a 1LE in Tour or Sport mode rides kind of like an SS with MRC in Track mode. Has anyone else compared this? I have MRC, and lately I drive on the streets in Track suspension mode. It's not as harsh or unpleasant as one would think, even considering Michigan's underfunded, poorly engineered, and lazily "maintained" roadways. I do daily drive my 2SS so reasonable comfort is a requirement.

How has your experience been when just cruising the car? I have not tracked but I expect to some day. However, I daily drive as I have said before. I am comfortable with the way the car rides today when I'm not driving in a spirited manner. However, if the 1LE suspension would turn my car into a jittery and rock hard ride like a Volkswagen GTI, I would definitely be out.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:46 AM   #10
WallsAndFoundations
IG: Infinite.Drive

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS in Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
What gm makes isnt really a splitter, more of an air dam. Serves a similar purpose but not nearly agressive as a legit splitter.

With that being said, i added mine last year. Within 2 weeks i was taking a trip 10 hours away.

At highway speeds (70+ mph)and especially behind large trucks, you can tell the amount of stability had increased.

On a track where youre in and out of triple digits, youll be able to notoce it a bit more.

A legit splitter, like what APR offers, the stability would be even more pronounced.

But the air dam, which gm refers to as a lower fascia extension, aka lip spoiler, is a good entry level into front end aeroand is beneficial at speed
Yo, I just want to say I appreciate you as a contributor to the forums. I dont come here often anymore but whenever I see a thread that needs an educated response, you always got something good to say.

Thanks for being awesome man!

Fight your mind
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote