Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #29
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
I'm glad at the least I got mine before it is potentially gone. Hoping the rumors aren't true. With the Corvette going mid-engine it should create more market space as it goes up a notch and the ZL1 trim will take over the space left by it. But with all this electric efficiency talks going around I wouldn't be shocked either.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:04 AM   #30
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Ford also extended the life cycle of the current Mustang as well. So I wouldn't be surprised if GM did the same with the Mustang. If true, we'll definitely see the LT5 and probably a DCT in the current model.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #31
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Ford also extended the life cycle of the current Mustang as well. So I wouldn't be surprised if GM did the same with the Mustang. If true, we'll definitely see the LT5 and probably a DCT in the current model.
No we won't. There will never be a DCT in the 6th gen. I'm not saying that GM wasn't working on a LT5 variant of the 6th gen but from what I've heard, everything that they had planned for the current car was also shelved. They're not allocating any more resources to this car. Their attention is on EV.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #32
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Well Jeff(gearhead SS),you should know as your in the GM dealership business!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #33
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Highly doubt there is any truth to this. They have a platform for it, but will shelve it? Makes no sense. Manufacturers make money selling 60k units of a model a year, but supposedly GM can't? Not buying it, unless they expect sales to get significantly worse.
That was my line of thinking as well.. They have a platform and that platform needs volume to come from somewhere. As the poster below mentions, the CT4 and CT5 are going to need something on the same platform to keep things moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripowergto View Post
I believe it all hinges on sales of the CT4 & CT5 built at the same factory and how well the more expensive Gen8 Corvette sells after initial demand is met. 2023 is quite a ways away.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #34
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by custommx3 View Post
I think we all saw this coming. Al was moved to the Electric group, the 6.2 is banned in Europe now, and many companies are going electric. all I can say is....

I GOT MINE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
the engine wasn't banned in europe. GM decided it didn't want to add the special particulate filter to their cars that is now mandated. It would be like them saying that because a country requires a catalytic converter, they are now banned ...rather than installing a catalytic converter back in the 70's.

Electric can be more fun than gas powered cars. 110%. But they wont be. Because they'll be filled with proprietary BS the like of John Deere to ensure maximum profit fro the manufacturer and they'll make sure the law backs it.

So many more people could be diy mechanics with electric setups vs the current ICE engines. Way less specialized tools needed. Way less complicated machinery involved. Electric cars are otherwise simple until you get to what they've needed to do to make lithium ion batteries safer in accidents.

There would finally be a legitimate reason to talk about copper grounding wires!!! Common ground with ricers ! think of the peace
There is not enough room to package a GPF of a size that would be needed to get the 6.2L to comply to Euro6. Mustang should be able to get by this by using their dual injection system. The issue is that GDI engines generate a lot Of particulates at low load. So a lot of German brands, plus Ford and Toyota have gone to dual fuel injection setups that allow the engine to operate with port injection at low load, then add DI at higher loads, where particulates aren’t that big a deal. Porsche and Mercedes also relocated their turbos into the V on V8 engines and put the catalytic converters right after them to allow for fast burn-off of particulates.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #35
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Dodge has found a way to stretch the life of the Challenger, it would be a real shame if Chevy gave up on the Camaro.
Yeah, just make sure dealers are giving out incentives to knock down the price about $10k and make sure everyone that comes through the dearlership doors and wants one, gets approved finances with 72+ moth options.

There is you winning formula for the Challenger/Charger.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #36
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
No we won't. There will never be a DCT in the 6th gen. I'm not saying that GM wasn't working on a LT5 variant of the 6th gen but from what I've heard, everything that they had planned for the current car was also shelved. They're not allocating any more resources to this car. Their attention is on EV.
So 4 more MY's with no additional models or upgrades? IF true that sucks and will surely lead to a slow painful death for the Camaro.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #37
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I never could understand why the Corvette wasn’t cut out of production like some other models at GM years ago! It is expensive and has a very limited market and customer base that the average Joe can’t afford. Looks like they would cut production of it but I think it will decline in sales since it will be mid engine and more expensive!
Probably because Covette is a much stronger name to market and get peoples attention than Camaro.

Corvette lineage and legacy...
"Americas Sportscar"
Race-winning heritage

This isn't to say, GM could not change this view. The question is, should they and what is the benefit for them over Corvette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
This.

The way things are going now (possibly could change with leadership and social-economic changes), the next Gen Mustang will likely have a very different feel.

For now, Mustang and Camaro will keep on kicking and selling, working off the past major investments into the platform, until whatever substantial changes can be released.

For Camaro, yes, there is not an Alpha II platform, but the Alpha I works just fine for Camaro and the car isn't currently a big seller... Cadillac, in general, has a specific brand goal that GM is striving for, so the investment is needed.

Cars like the Camaro SS, Camaro SS 1LE, Mustang GT, Mustang GT350/R, Charger and Challenger have a fading horizon... Especially with the Camaro SS 1LE and Mustang GT350/R, I do not see cars like this ever being done again.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #38
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
This is Chevy's Idea on how to sell product...no wonder Chevy sales are in the dumps much less just the Camaro. Sad.

Lame!
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #39
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I drove a dual motor Tesla model 3 - that thing is fkn ROCKET. No wheel spin, no noise, but that propulsion is mind blowing. Yeah, EV is future.

About the only thing you will miss is exhaust note. Acceleration is bonkers. There is even track mode, so you can slide it around.

Just recall back when fuel injection came out "it's the end of tuners" nope... This is just the beginning. Less maintenance, more speed.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #40
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'm not saying this news is bogus...but I'm not convinced of it either. There is no way the CT4 and CT5 are going to sell well enough to warrant keeping around the Alpha 2 chassis. The Camaro outsells both of those cars...perhaps combined even. You'd think GM would want to split those costs even further.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #41
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
Not a surprise.

GM is losing in this category as well as the truck category to Dodge.

Truly piss poor management.

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #42
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I'm not saying this news is bogus...but I'm not convinced of it either. There is no way the CT4 and CT5 are going to sell well enough to warrant keeping around the Alpha 2 chassis. The Camaro outsells both of those cars...perhaps combined even. You'd think GM would want to split those costs even further.
That was my first reaction. There is no way just the CT4 and CT5 can support the volume needed to keep that plant running. Unless there is something we havent seen yet coming on Alpha II
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote