Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #15
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
they can already do the camaro in a high performance electric trim.

It was tested since before the 6th gen even went on sale as an electric platform.

If it goes away, it's not because of the engine or the drivetrain at all and it's because they dont see a market for 2 door coupes with no interior room for more than 2 humans in the future.

And I kinda agree with them .... that kind of car only makes sense if it's super cheap so young people can buy them since they dont have a family or bills to care about. Older people who aren't wealthy need a more practical car ....or the push towards renting/cars as a service pushes them out of personal vehicle ownership altogether. Car makers dont want to push people into ride-sharing....since it would tank their business and make it look like the airline industry with all of it's what...2-3 manufacturers.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #16
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Not a surprise to me with people complaining all the time about the 6 gen design and features and how the car should be or not be! It will be missed and that’s the reason I will try and hold on to my ZL1 for as long as possible!
Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #17
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Something will occupy this space and market from GM past 2023. It just may not be the internal combustion V8 coupes we've known since 1960's.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFR View Post
Unfortunately, that "modern times" performance vehicle will probably be an electric or hybrid crossover SUV.
It absolutely will be. GM is putting most of it's R&D money into electric vehicles. Corvette will be the lone performance vehicle with money pumped into it.

Camaro had some good stuff in the works(for 6th gen) and supposedly all of it was shelved. It's probably the reason Al O. was moved from Camaro to EV.

Last edited by GearheadSS; 06-25-2019 at 10:27 AM.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #19
cellsafemode

chevy's just gonna push you into a mustang.

Mustang isn't going away because ford doesn't have to split sales between the vette and camaro like chevy does. One car with a ton of trims that range from super expensive to 4 banger cheap. Chevy is too far up it's own rear to change now ...so they'll just keep the vette with it's relatively higher profit margin and just deal with selling less cars and cede the next gen of car enthusiasts to ford and dodge.

Maybe gm is more pessimistic than me and they're saying to ford and Dodge that they can have this niche ...since it's worthless given that none of it will exist soon. SUV's and uber/lyft will dominate the ongoing market ...with regulation destroying all "excessive" performance in the name of safety, efficiency (automation), and the environment.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #20
Yeti6

Drives: 2019 1SS M6
I don't think the camaro is going anywhere... engine options yes, but not the camaro as a whole. There will be an electric version of the camaro... someday. There is already a COPO electric that's a beast.
1998 Camaro Z28 M6 Arctic White
1991 Camaro RS A5 Arctic White
1986 Camaro SC M5 Teal Green
1980 Camaro Z28 M4 Bright Blue
Yeti6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #21
LT4Greg

And of course the pricing on the 6 gens didn’t help with their success either like the 5th gen did! I would have never thought a Camaro SS would be over $50,000 that is one that had a lot of options!
Old 06-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #22
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
They make money on trucks and sport utility vehicles. It appears that what GM needs to discontinue are the stylists that attempt to put the same face on all
of their Chevrolet brand vehicles. It just doesn't work. My mindset is that if you build an attractive vehicle and sell it at the correct price it will sell. Both Ford and Dodge stuck with the retro styling and it has served them fairly well. History say's you cannot build the same vehicle forever.
As stated in the article, the Camaro, especially the upper end models are quite worthy at their respective tasks but the design has held them back for the mass market. I always thought Mary Barra would be a great CEO but she is being very short sighted in her thinking. Not everyone wants or gives a damn about a government mandated electric car. If electric cars are that good, the market will determine their worthiness. Improve the design of the Camaro and it will sell. Leave the non competitive Sonic's and Cruze's in the janitor closet. If you build the right car and market it correctly it will sell despite unfair trade laws which allow cars build under slave labor conditions in foreign countries to be sold in the USA.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #23
Yeti6

Drives: 2019 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti6 View Post
I don't think the camaro is going anywhere... engine options yes, but not the camaro as a whole. There will be an electric version of the camaro... someday. There is already a COPO electric that's a beast.
Maybe Al is working on it now! I would rather buy it than a Tesla.
1998 Camaro Z28 M6 Arctic White
1991 Camaro RS A5 Arctic White
1986 Camaro SC M5 Teal Green
1980 Camaro Z28 M4 Bright Blue
Yeti6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #24
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Highly doubt there is any truth to this. They have a platform for it, but will shelve it? Makes no sense. Manufacturers make money selling 60k units of a model a year, but supposedly GM can't? Not buying it, unless they expect sales to get significantly worse.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #25
tripowergto
WHEELIEFEST 22 ~ 8/14/21

Drives: 18 HW, 16 Vette, 09 G8 GT, 02 Formu
I believe it all hinges on sales of the CT4 & CT5 built at the same factory and how well the more expensive Gen8 Corvette sells after initial demand is met. 2023 is quite a ways away.
14 Crystal Red Volt (traded)
10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426 HP LS3 "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
09 Stryker Blue G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)

tripowergto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #26
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
I think we all saw this coming. Al was moved to the Electric group, the 6.2 is banned in Europe now, and many companies are going electric. all I can say is....

I GOT MINE!!!
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #27
cellsafemode

the engine wasn't banned in europe. GM decided it didn't want to add the special particulate filter to their cars that is now mandated. It would be like them saying that because a country requires a catalytic converter, they are now banned ...rather than installing a catalytic converter back in the 70's.

Electric can be more fun than gas powered cars. 110%. But they wont be. Because they'll be filled with proprietary BS the like of John Deere to ensure maximum profit fro the manufacturer and they'll make sure the law backs it.

So many more people could be diy mechanics with electric setups vs the current ICE engines. Way less specialized tools needed. Way less complicated machinery involved. Electric cars are otherwise simple until you get to what they've needed to do to make lithium ion batteries safer in accidents.

There would finally be a legitimate reason to talk about copper grounding wires!!! Common ground with ricers ! think of the peace

Last edited by cellsafemode; 06-25-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #28
LT4Greg

I never could understand why the Corvette wasn’t cut out of production like some other models at GM years ago! It is expensive and has a very limited market and customer base that the average Joe can’t afford. Looks like they would cut production of it but I think it will decline in sales since it will be mid engine and more expensive!