Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
hms2488485

Drives: '17 Camaro SS 1LE
Do I say goodbye?

Most of us in here bought our 1LE’s, I feel, to track them. I’m currently at a crossroads on whether or not I keep my 1LE. I love the car to death, as all of us do, however I have the opportunity to go racing and purchase a legends race car. Only thing is, if I purchase those cars, I would have to trade in my Camaro for a truck to tow said race cars. I’ve wanted to race for as long as I could remember and unfortunately I can’t afford to have both my Camaro and a truck. I know if I get rid of the car, I’ll constantly want another one. So toss me your opinions, would you guys rather have a Camaro 1LE or go racing in real life?
hms2488485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #2
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hms2488485 View Post
Most of us in here bought our 1LE’s, I feel, to track them. I’m currently at a crossroads on whether or not I keep my 1LE. I love the car to death, as all of us do, however I have the opportunity to go racing and purchase a legends race car. Only thing is, if I purchase those cars, I would have to trade in my Camaro for a truck to tow said race cars. I’ve wanted to race for as long as I could remember and unfortunately I can’t afford to have both my Camaro and a truck. I know if I get rid of the car, I’ll constantly want another one. So toss me your opinions, would you guys rather have a Camaro 1LE or go racing in real life?
No one can answer that but you.

You need to decide for yourself what is most fitting of your needs and aspirations.

Those are two very different scenarios.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #3
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I'd rather have the 1LE that I can drive both on and off the track. That's what "I" would do. You gotta figure out where you would get the most enjoyment with your $. If you have time and money to go to the track on a regular basis then the race car route might be the best for you.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
hms2488485

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
I'd rather have the 1LE that I can drive both on and off the track. That's what "I" would do. You gotta figure out where you would get the most enjoyment with your $. If you have time and money to go to the track on a regular basis then the race car route might be the best for you.
I live a half hour from Charlotte Motor Speedway. I thoroughly enjoy tracking my 1LE at the speedway but being able to actually race for something is extremely enticing. Wish I could have both
Old 08-27-2018, 03:12 AM   #5
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
The great thing with the 1LE is that you can take it to the track be competitive but then go to work the next day and get groceries! It's a fantastic multi-purpose car.. But at the end of day its you too decide what you want to do! I prefer to drive a fast-capable car all the time instead of getting a daily. I feel that keeps me intuned with the car always
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:58 AM   #6
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Will you have to outfit and pay for your racing career yourself, and if so, do you have and endless supply of resources to be competitive? I can tell you from being involved in racing for a lot of years that its a lifestyle to be competitive, and your entire family should be on board with the lifestyle. If you can get good sponsors and have good people around you with the passion and knowledge, it makes it a lot more enjoyable. Remember, buying a racing car is the easiest step in racing. If you have a true passion for it and understand the sacrifice, it can be a wild ride. We've had a lot of good times at the track and still do.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
As others have suggested, the decision must be yours.

Agree fully that getting a race car is just a first step in a long journey. If i were you id attend some Legends events and speak to as many competitors as possible regarding costs. Track fees, fuel, tires, new motors, car set up, brakes, parts incl body panels, safety gear, etc can add up quickly. Go into it with full knowledge of costs involved then include some extra funds just in case as $h.t happens and it always costs money.

While it is uber fun to race "for real" it becomes rather old quickly if lack of funds keeps one away from being competitive. That is true in any form of racing.

Top guys usually score some sponsors, or have their own companies sponsor their hobby and then write of the expenses. Not sure how much a Legends car costs to run for a season, but based on some experience locally a stock car will run at least $20+Gs per season.
More if one wishes to run ahead of mid field on fesh tires and a strong motor.

And any car will require constant attention maint and fixes wise as season progresses. A lot of guys do it themselves and work on the cars constantly between races. Or pay shops to do it for them if their time is at premium, or if they lack mechanical talent. It is a pretty big commitment and as suggested above: make sure your family is on board.

If you havent competed before and would like to try it there is also an option of time attack in your street car.
Of course this is not door to door racing, but budget wise it permits to experience competition against others - at a lowest cost possible. Albeit your tire budget will likely balloon pretty fast, as fresh tires do make a difference when tenths separate one from a trophy But this is a great way to progress one's skills and see just what is possible pace wise in a given class. And even in this form of competition, guys that run top classes can spend inordinary sums of money on their cars. But thankfully there are multitudes of classes to accommodate all levels of cars, incl bone stock.

Another thing to consider: you will drive your car only when you race it. Perhaps including some test and tune sessions. This could be enough, or it could be rather limited enjoyment wise.

Bottom line: do as much r&d regarding the series as possble. Attend some events and speak to competitors.
Add up all the costs then add an extra cushion on top of it. Find out the amount of time and effort required to keep the race car in good shape thruout the season.
If it all adds up and your family is also on board: jump in and enjoy it!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #8
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Racecars are a lot like boats. There's the constant sucking sound of money....
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
hms2488485

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
As others have suggested, the decision must be yours.

Agree fully that getting a race car is just a first step in a long journey. If i were you id attend some Legends events and speak to as many competitors as possible regarding costs. Track fees, fuel, tires, new motors, car set up, brakes, parts incl body panels, safety gear, etc can add up quickly. Go into it with full knowledge of costs involved then include some extra funds just in case as $h.t happens and it always costs money.

While it is uber fun to race "for real" it becomes rather old quickly if lack of funds keeps one away from being competitive. That is true in any form of racing.

Top guys usually score some sponsors, or have their own companies sponsor their hobby and then write of the expenses. Not sure how much a Legends car costs to run for a season, but based on some experience locally a stock car will run at least $20+Gs per season.
More if one wishes to run ahead of mid field on fesh tires and a strong motor.

And any car will require constant attention maint and fixes wise as season progresses. A lot of guys do it themselves and work on the cars constantly between races. Or pay shops to do it for them if their time is at premium, or if they lack mechanical talent. It is a pretty big commitment and as suggested above: make sure your family is on board.

If you havent competed before and would like to try it there is also an option of time attack in your street car.
Of course this is not door to door racing, but budget wise it permits to experience competition against others - at a lowest cost possible. Albeit your tire budget will likely balloon pretty fast, as fresh tires do make a difference when tenths separate one from a trophy But this is a great way to progress one's skills and see just what is possible pace wise in a given class. And even in this form of competition, guys that run top classes can spend inordinary sums of money on their cars. But thankfully there are multitudes of classes to accommodate all levels of cars, incl bone stock.

Another thing to consider: you will drive your car only when you race it. Perhaps including some test and tune sessions. This could be enough, or it could be rather limited enjoyment wise.

Bottom line: do as much r&d regarding the series as possble. Attend some events and speak to competitors.
Add up all the costs then add an extra cushion on top of it. Find out the amount of time and effort required to keep the race car in good shape thruout the season.
If it all adds up and your family is also on board: jump in and enjoy it!
I’ve talked with a few people from Charlotte Motor Speedway and in racing terms, Legends are relatively inexpensive. I have a few people who’d be willing to sponsor me and have made it known so I’d have some funds. The reason I’d be doing this is that I can afford the upfront cost of buying a couple used Legends cars and a trailer, at the moment at least. I know racing is a money pit and know all the possibilities. Again, I just wish I could afford both
Old 08-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
I’ve talked with a few people from Charlotte Motor Speedway and in racing terms, Legends are relatively inexpensive. I have a few people who’d be willing to sponsor me and have made it known so I’d have some funds. The reason I’d be doing this is that I can afford the upfront cost of buying a couple used Legends cars and a trailer, at the moment at least. I know racing is a money pit and know all the possibilities. Again, I just wish I could afford both
Have you ever driven a Legend car? Perhaps buy a seat for a race or two with a team that has a spare car. See how you like it before pulling a plug on your 1le.

Speedway folks will always talk up any series they run hence id speak to actual competitors - just in case you havent yet - to find out what they spend a season.
Then ask your sponsors for cheques and cash them.

Then make a calculated decison (and refund their money if you decide against it). There is alway plenty of used race cars for sale. Always. So line up all the ducks ahead of time. Having to sell your 1le and potentially having 2 Legends in your garage sitting idle would be a worst result of all. PS why 2 cars? Spare parts?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #11
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Why can't you keep both? Space issue? Money? Just don't want to deal with both?

What I did was to buy an older, lower mileage, truck to tow with. Buy the right type of truck (something with fair reliability) and combine that with limited usage and you don't have to worry about using an older truck. I've used mine to tow across the country without concern. It's a well maintained and reliable (for an american truck) vehicle though.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
Bluebarchetta

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Have you ever driven a Legend car? Perhaps buy a seat for a race or two with a team that has a spare car. See how you like it before pulling a plug on your 1le.

Speedway folks will always talk up any series they run hence id speak to actual competitors - just in case you havent yet - to find out what they spend a season.
Then ask your sponsors for cheques and cash them.

Then make a calculated decison (and refund their money if you decide against it). There is alway plenty of used race cars for sale. Always. So line up all the ducks ahead of time. Having to sell your 1le and potentially having 2 Legends in your garage sitting idle would be a worst result of all. PS why 2 cars? Spare parts?
Lots of good info here, try before you buy.

Very little racing is “realatively inexpensive”. Travel, entry fees, missed work, etc. all cost the same no matter what you’re racing. Car acquisition, maintenance and consumables are things that can be less depending on the car involved and how competitive you want to be.

As TrackClub said, there are lots of used race cars available. Consider how long it would take you to resell the specific cars you are acquiring, and make sure you’re buying in at a good price. If so, and you don’t have to give away your 1LE, then you can always reverse the process with not too much damage to your bank account.

Lastly, not sure what type of racing you want to do, but if someone asks me for the best bang for your money, I always tell them spec Miata. There are plenty of cars available, decent resale market, decently low costs. You can be regionally competitive for short money. Nationally competitive is a different animal. However it allows people to dip their toes into real racing, the car will teach you boatloads about driving well and race craft, and they’re realatively safe.

I won’t answer your original question, as I’m lucky to have race cars, truck and a 1LE. But I will whole heartedly echo TrackClub; you’ll hate yourself if you sell the 1LE, have the race cars, but lose the desire to race, or the funds to do so. You have to be in a position mentally and financially to be able to walk away from any car you put on a track. It could be worth zero, and be no fault of your own. Good luck with your decision
Bluebarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #13
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
To race, way back when, I went from a $25K Corvette to an OLD $1200 Chevy full-size station wagon as my tow car. I worked on my race car quite often and drove it maybe 8 or 10 times in a year or maybe about 20 hours of driving total. It was memorable.

Do it. Life is experience.

Now I just use my 1LE for a few events a year, track days and it gives the thrill of driving fast, no wheel to wheel, though. And I get to use it any day.

Both good choices.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #14
D3adpool

Drives: Garnet Red 2018 SS 1LE "Deadpool"
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Will you have to outfit and pay for your racing career yourself, and if so, do you have and endless supply of resources to be competitive? I can tell you from being involved in racing for a lot of years that its a lifestyle to be competitive, and your entire family should be on board with the lifestyle. If you can get good sponsors and have good people around you with the passion and knowledge, it makes it a lot more enjoyable. Remember, buying a racing car is the easiest step in racing. If you have a true passion for it and understand the sacrifice, it can be a wild ride. We've had a lot of good times at the track and still do.
I couldn't have said it better. Buying the car is the easy part....dedicating yourself to it is a completely different challenge, as well as the additional costs that go with it. You need a truck to tow the race car....a trailer to carry the car on, a crew to help you get said race car on and off the trailer (sorry, but doing that by yourself is extremely difficult) if you plan on doing the same schedule of track days that you are with your 1LE, I'd think long and hard if it's worth getting rid of it.

there's nothing better than driving to the track, doing laps and then driving home...all in the same car lol.