Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Installed: Borla X-Pipe (60606) + Corsa Axle Back (Xtreme 14784) - Complete Cat-Back

**EDIT**

I now recommend going with the Full Cat-Back Corsa setups that were released early August. Here's my thread on them. The new Corsa X Pipe is 3" but necks to 2.75" to connect to either the Corsa Axle Backs or stock Suitcase without issue.

Got the ZL1 to the shop today and installed the exhaust. A few takeaways…

What this setup does:
1. Eliminates Factory Secondary Cats/Resonators
2. Eliminates Factory X Pipe and replaces with a much cleaner looking X
3. Eliminates ugly crushed rear section
4. Eliminates the big suitcase muffler
5. Gives you a full cat-back exhaust with Corsa mufflers
6. A slightly larger -- Never mind, probably not.

The Good:
1. Everything fit together perfectly like it was made for each other. All clamps are high quality and had zero problems.
2. Bolts right in without cutting anything, can be reset to stock in half an hour.
3. Sounds absolutely incredible. Very loud bark on start ups, very loud when hammering it, the sound is perfect. Not too deep, not high pitched, aggressive and there’s ZERO drone.
4. Extremely tame below 3000 RPM. Cruising at 85-90 MPH all the way home and I couldn’t tell it from stock. Quiets right down.
5. No cutting, no harm to factory setup.

The Bad:
1. The Stock Exhaust can be a bit of a bear to remove, at least it was for us. The problem was on the driver side where it slides into the primary cat. It just didn’t want to pull free no matter what angle we tried, finally we wiggled it enough to get it out.
2. The X Pipe did rattle on decel when we first test drove it. After putting it back up on the lift twice, we found the problem was the fairly straight connection pipes were bouncing off of a carrier bracket/bolt by the drive-shaft. The pipes in that area are arched high to clear the cross-brace member, a little too high IMO, but by rotating the arches to the center, we gained 1/4”-1/2” of clearance and so far zero rattles or problems, again drives like stock, except it sounds a lot better.

Can’t recommend this setup enough for those wanting more sound, possibly a bit of power, and no cutting/messing with the factory system. Keep everything loose until it’s aligned, tip the arched connection pipes (Between the cat-connection pipes and X pipe) inward towards the center of the car, and you’re good to go.

The sound, as I said, is awesome. I’ll try to capture some videos of it and will post it here. Lots of bark on start up, revs are aggressive (Below 3500), hammering on it in gear and it’s thunderous. Quiet and zero drone while cruising with the A10.

Any questions, drop them below and I’ll see if I can answer them.

Pics added to give a rough representation of how I had to tip them in just a bit.
Attached Images

Last edited by Can'tHave2MuchHP; 08-10-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
Did you take any pics ?
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Not very in depth ones that would show much. Just the car on the lift and the exhaust pieces laying on the floor. Is there a part you have a question about? I will use another photo to demonstrate if need be.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Got the ZL1 to the shop today and installed the exhaust. A few takeaways…

What this setup does:

1. Eliminates Factory Secondary Cats/Resonators

2. Eliminates Factory X Pipe and replaces with a much cleaner looking X

3. Eliminates ugly crushed rear section

4. Eliminates the big suitcase muffler

5. Gives you a full cat-back exhaust with Corsa mufflers

6. A slightly larger -- Never mind, probably not.

The Good:

1. Everything fit together perfectly like it was made for each other. All clamps are high quality and had zero problems.

2. Bolts right in without cutting anything, can be reset to stock in half an hour.

3. Sounds absolutely incredible. Very loud bark on start ups, very loud when hammering it, the sound is perfect. Not too deep, not high pitched, aggressive and there’s ZERO drone.

4. Extremely tame below 3000 RPM. Cruising at 85-90 MPH all the way home and I couldn’t tell it from stock. Quiets right down.

5. No cutting, no harm to factory setup.

The Bad:

1. The Stock Exhaust can be a bit of a bear to remove, at least it was for us. The problem was on the driver side where it slides into the primary cat. It just didn’t want to pull free no matter what angle we tried, finally we wiggled it enough to get it out.

2. The X Pipe did rattle on decel when we first test drove it. After putting it back up on the lift twice, we found the problem was the fairly straight connection pipes were bouncing off of a carrier bracket/bolt by the drive-shaft. The pipes in that area are arched high to clear the cross-brace member, a little too high IMO, but by rotating the arches to the center, we gained 1/4”-1/2” of clearance and so far zero rattles or problems, again drives like stock, except it sounds a lot better.

Can’t recommend this setup enough for those wanting more sound, possibly a bit of power, and no cutting/messing with the factory system. Keep everything loose until it’s aligned, tip the arched connection pipes (Between the cat-connection pipes and X pipe) inward towards the center of the car, and you’re good to go.

The sound, as I said, is awesome. I’ll try to capture some videos of it and will post it here. Lots of bark on start up, revs are aggressive (Below 3500), hammering on it in gear and it’s thunderous. Quiet and zero drone while cruising with the A10.

Any questions, drop them below and I’ll see if I can answer them.

Lol at “slightly larger”. #6to12

Glad this worked out! Thanks for taking the leap after your post looking to see if anyone else had done it.

Post is worthless without vids.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Original post edited with a rough representation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Lol at “slightly larger”. #6to12

Glad this worked out! Thanks for taking the leap after your post looking to see if anyone else had done it.

Post is worthless without vids.
I have a startup video but it's pretty worthless there's so much shop noise. This weekend I'll break out the cameras and see what I can do.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:35 PM   #6
CT ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Original post edited with a rough representation.

I have a startup video but it's pretty worthless there's so much shop noise. This weekend I'll break out the cameras and see what I can do.
Great info thanks sounds exactly what I am looking for Thanks

Past Rides
13 Porsche 911 4S
17 BMW M4
16 Shelby GT 350
07 Saleen Mustang
02 M3 Comp Pack
79 Corvette
CT ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
OP, thanks for taking the plunge. I assume you like the corsa sound better than the borla Stype and ATAK.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
I have this exact setup on my A10 car... but all Borla. Here is my cold start, I really like it, would love to hear yours in a video just like this.

I'm happy with the sound of mine for sure!

Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
Quote:
Not very in depth ones that would show much. Just the car on the lift and the exhaust pieces laying on the floor. Is there a part you have a question about? I will use another photo to demonstrate if need be.
No, nothing specific, just interested in the process and how it all fits underneath there. Your explanation was very comprehensive and well written though.
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:38 AM   #10
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Old 05-15-2018, 05:37 AM   #11
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
almost went this route...but got something special coming in a few weeks. Thx for post bro!!
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:35 AM   #12
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Sweet! Congrats. I love the sound of Corsa. Have it on my GTO. I am sure your Camaro picked up a few HP and lost a few pounds replacing the factory exhaust. Well done!
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #13
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by soceur77 View Post
almost went this route...but got something special coming in a few weeks. Thx for post bro!!
Meisterschaft?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #14
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Thanks for the tip on the clearance I will be putting this on this weekend to hold me over until I do an ARH set-up over the winter
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote