Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Vehicle wrap questions

I was wondering if anyone could speak to the durability of a vehicle wrap as I'm considering this as an option to get the car I want in the color I want (a used red hot ss 1le seems crazy hard to find). Are you able to tell that it isn't paint? How noticeable is it? Anyone have experience with this company?(and if so do they do the door jambs etc.?)
car-skins.com

Do you treat it any differently than paint (other than no abrasives such as polishing etc)? Are swirl marks possible on it/ what do you do about them?

Lastly, is $3199 a good price for a full wrap (on a ss 1le) minus all the parts that come as flat black from the factory?
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD

Last edited by DWR; 05-23-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: I need to proofread BEFORE submitting.... but everyone knows I won't
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
No idea about car skins. I would check Yelp.
$3199 is a fair price.
You won't be able to notice a well done wrap. The most common question I get is, "is that paint?" Lol
And no you do not wax or polish it, just wash and detail. You can use heat or other products to get rid of scratches, but the whole point of a wrap is to protect your paint in the first place and not worry about that.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post
No idea about car skins. I would check Yelp.
$3199 is a fair price.
You won't be able to notice a well done wrap. The most common question I get is, "is that paint?" Lol
And no you do not wax or polish it, just wash and detail. You can use heat or other products to get rid of scratches, but the whole point of a wrap is to protect your paint in the first place and not worry about that.

Hope that helps.
Wait, you don't/ can't wax it? I thought that was only if it was a flat or matte finish? Why can't/ don't you wax and seal a wrap? I understand that I may sound stupid wanting to do that however I love to detail and I would think it would act very similar to paint in that respect; look "deeper" and "wetter" when waxed. Can you ceramic coat it?

Hold up... heat as in a hair dryer/heat gun takes minor scratches out of a wrap? That awesome! Can you elaborate on how well that works and maybe if there is a technique to use? My main point would be for color change purposes however the fact that it will protect the paint is a huge bonus as well.

Tons of questions... sorry...
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #4
Skyset

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Coupe
Not a bad price.

Yes you can wax a wrap that isn't matte/satin. Doing this to a matte/satin finish could damage it. Some people get chrome wraps ceramic coated/waxed though
Skyset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Franko07

Drives: 17 white 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
I was wondering if anyone could speak to the durability of a vehicle wrap as I'm considering this as an option to get the car I want in the color I want (a used red hot ss 1le seems crazy hard to find). Are you able to tell that it isn't paint? How noticeable is it? Anyone have experience with this company?(and if so do they do the door jambs etc.?)
car-skins.com

Do you treat it any differently than paint (other than no abrasives such as polishing etc)? Are swirl marks possible on it/ what do you do about them?

Lastly, is $3199 a good price for a full wrap (on a ss 1le) minus all the parts that come as flat black from the factory?
I ran a Graphics/ Wrap shop for a few years and even though wrap technology is much better, the warranty on product if laminated is usually about 5 years, that being said... i have not seen one that didn't just sit in a garage last that long. (being in Georgia it may be slightly different for longevity)

if your doing it to simply change the color than i wouldn't do it, it will be noticeable to someone who knows paint/detailing and depending on who your installer is it could be an issue.

$3500 every 3-5 years isn't that good of a deal to me just because my car is not the right color.
Also price is typically based on square footage, i was charging from $10-15 a sq foot the same company is up to $25 sq ft now. This included some extra built in because you will scrap some if you want to make sure the splices are a minimum. Might figure up what the square footage is that they are charging so that way when you compare its apples and apples .

if you decide to do it go look at lots of their work before hand... and some that has been done longer than a year if possible. If they are not careful people they will cut the paint with a razor blade.

Last edited by Franko07; 05-23-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Franko07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:37 AM   #6
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
It's a lot of money if you want just one color for the life of the car. If you want to keep changing colors and like unusual colors, then it may be just the ticket.

I think plastidip done correctly and laid on thick looks good too, it's cheaper and lasts (looks good) about 3-5 years.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
I sent you a message.
SOLD 2019 Camaro SS -Wrapped in Matte Magnectic Black - Anderson Carbon Hood and Rear Spoiler – Ikon front spoiler – OEM ZL1 Side Rockers - ZL1 Addons Diffuser - BMR 1.0” Lowering Springs - MRR 228 Wheels 20x10 and 20x11
RIP 2016 Camaro SS https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565453
SOLD 2010 Camaro SS Featured in GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Now Magazines - http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote